Knocking noise from nearside

reebzluke

Reaction score
Hi am new here.

I have a 1999 a3 1.6, and recently it has develeoped a knocking noise, which seems to be coming from the passenger side. Now in order to cure the problem I had all of the obvious changed.

Wishbones and bushes
Ball joints
Track rods and ends

But I cannot seem to cure this problem. It doesnt do it over every bump? but seems to be more pronounced when turning right (not necesserally full lock) After hours of driving round bumpy car parks in circles with my mechanic, we are somewhat unsure as to what this problem could be?

Other than that the car is in mint condition, and I really do not want to get rid of it, as to be honest I love it. But this noise is driving me mad, and also is rather embarrassing. Any help is greatfully appreciated.

Ta

Hello and Welcome to the site

sounds like your top mount is on the way out.. having the same problem and it seems to be the issue.. hope this helps :thumbsup:

my girlfriend's civic has a knocking noise at low speeds over bumps (little and large).....my research so far is pointing towards the top mount bearing (moulded into the rubber)........maybe the same for you?

We thought we had it this afternoon, there is a plate under the gear linkage, that seems to be rattling about, so we have tied it up, but that doesnt seem to have cured it. Do you mean the suspension top mounts? They seem to be ok, and to be honest its very hard to actually point out where the noise is coming from, but it sounds more like in a bit rather than by the wheels? Its really strange because I seem to have adjusted my driving style yo make the noise happen? Its rather annoying that a car that looks and drives so well, but everytime I pull into a petrol station makes a horrible sound.

Thanks for your help

Yep top suspension mounts, think they are under £20 to buy, just think they wear away over time and start to rattle about :think:

It aort of sounds like its coming from more the footwell. My mech said could possibly be a gearbox mount, but is really clutching at straws. I asked him if it could be a cv joint (does it when turning right) He said no its a different type of noise. sometimes it really does sound like it is something rattling around, but other times I can drive it down a right bumpy road... nothing. also seems to be worse uphill?

Ta

If you've already replaced all those bits, I'd maybe replace the droplinks next followed by the ARB bushes. Does the car have a radio? If so then failing that I'd just turn it up.

Last edited:
Ha Ha, no I have done the ARB bushes a couple of months ago, that was an easy one to diagnose. even with the sounds cranked up I still know its there. The funny thing is I have had friends and my mum in the car, and they seem to barley notice it. But to me, it sounds like somebody is taking a hammer to my gearbox.

Ok so I went somewhere today, which was what you could call kind of off road (a bit bumpy) and it was just knock knock knock. now it seems to be a lot worse? also now the ABS light is on and after breaking on the m25 (at about 5mph) the ABS seems to have gone a bit crazy, and was buzzing under my foot, but now has stopped again? could be a sensor? Thank you all for your input

I havent had a chance to do as of yet, as working long hours, and spending most of my free time sitting in traffic on the m25. I will scan with vag com to see what the ABS light issue is tonight, but hopefully get the top mounts changed at the week end.

I am guessing CV joint, definitely if its more pronounced when turning corners. Also if the CV joint isn't doing its job right then i would expect the wheel speed sensor to throw some sort of fault which may be triggering your ABS light?

By coincidence i heard a knocking today whilst turning corners in a car park. Got home tonight and the nearside front outer CV boot is split and there is grease on the drive shaft and the car feels a bit different around corners. Taking it into the garage tomorrow to get it checked

A split CV boot wont knock, even a dry CV wont knock, would be more likely to grind or make an odd noise when manoeuvring at low speeds. The only time a CV might knock is when the bearing in it have gone and you'd hear it on power take up and when changing from reverse to first.

I actually had a similar problem, went through all the notions and tuned out my near side fog light had come loose and was knocking about in it's housing! long shot but you never know

I have the same issue on the driver's side. Got the car on the ramp, and checked everything. Wishbones, bushes, etc. Mechanic couldn't figure out what the noise was.

Only thing I can narrow it down to are the top mounts. I have coilovers and have raised them recently. Interestingly this happened after my front drivers side collapsed due to the wishbone coming apart form the hub, which I suspect has caused it. Can't wait to get rid of the car now tbh!

Thanks for your input. TBH after just going to fill up (the end of my road is kind of on a slant) when braking (and the car sort of shunts forward) it knocks, definately sounds like something is moving around. Also with the reigate and banstead speed bumps being more than twice the height of the average, it sounds like somebody is playing drums when driving down the road. I can only describe it as like the ARB knock but it definately sounds like it is happening higher up? I will prob try top mount, if not look at trading it in lol. Be a shame, its the first car I have had, which I can actually say I like.

Thanks for your input. TBH after just going to fill up (the end of my road is kind of on a slant) when braking (and the car sort of shunts forward) it knocks, definately sounds like something is moving around. Also with the reigate and banstead speed bumps being more than twice the height of the average, it sounds like somebody is playing drums when driving down the road. I can only describe it as like the ARB knock but it definately sounds like it is happening higher up? I will prob try top mount, if not look at trading it in lol. Be a shame, its the first car I have had, which I can actually say I like.

Good luck man, hope ya get it sorted ;]

But would the bushes cause a knocking noise?

yeah, thats what it is, he was shaking it with his hand and getting exactly the same noise

A bit off topic, but I've bought some Lemforder bushes for the front and some Lemforder VRS bushes for the rear this month and all of them have the VAG part number on but the company logo ground off. I know where I'll go for suspension bushes in the future:)

I must admit I am no mechanic, and I know very little, but I wasnt awar that there were more than one set of ARB on the front? I couldnt believe it though, been changing this, changing that. He lifted it up after a 30 second peep. Said thats what it is and replicated the noise. Apparently something has also been damaged where it has been knocking against it. But again that is an easy fix

I had this issue with a random knocking noise after lots messing It turned out to be drop links, they cheap and easy to replace I know someone has told you to replace them but wasn't sure if you had, if not give it a go dude, if you have big enough bar you can jack the car up at the front and compare them to see if 1 has more play than the other?????
Be warned tho don't buy these from euro parts as I managed to snap mine about a month later :(

didnt get a chance to get sorted this weekend :( hopefully will next week. I must admit I was so close to selling and getting a 3 series, but browsing through the forums has sort of changed my mind. I have a list of things I want to do with the A3, and to be honest due to an insurance "disagreement" I am not sure I will be able to aford the premium on a BMW. Feeling a bit grumpy about the whole thing I went and washed my car, and looked at it, and now feel a bit more up beat. Its not the nicest example but a pair of face lift headlights and some new wheels and I think It will look pretty good.

[/IMG]

Just in case anyone is interested I though I would post the outcome. Surprisingly enough it was the Bolt that holds the drop links. It was cross threaded so wasnt tightening and the lower arm was knocking about. A nightmare getting the bolt out, as was just turning, but has been changed and now NO knocking, everything also seems more solid when driving down the motorway. So all in all I am chuffed :)