oh dear my gearbox went BANG!

SteveS3

Reaction score
Website
www.steves3.co.uk
Has anyone else had this before?

For month's i've had problems getting into third at high revs, but at normal rev's all was ok. Audi could not diagnose the fault.

Then yesterday i had difficultly getting into third, then shifted down to second and there was no gear there and no first gear either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
You could move the gearstick straight into 1st and 2nd without the clutch and there was no drive, i still had reverse, 3,4,5, and 6 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Very odd, only 37500 miles, Audi are putting in a new gearbox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Eeek! Is it still under warranty, yes? Or was it a goodwill thing since it was a major failure?

yep it's being done under warranty, i think they are putting in a new cv joint as well cause there is bad rattling coming from the front left on cornering.....my car is falling apart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

But i have a nice A6 Avant from Audi UK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I sometimes struggle getting into 4th when pushing it. Thought I was being too lethal with the clutch, but maybe not....

Well got my S3 back yesterday all fixed, but the bill to warranty was £4500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

They put in a new gearbox, n/s driveshaft, n/s cv joint and a steering rack joint!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Paul,

Mental note made....when i get to 60k get that vital extended warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Thanks for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Gearbox went this morning 39K (MY02 S3) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif still waiting for the garage to confirm this, basically joining the motorway in 3rd accelerating into the fast lane & oops no 4th, or 5th ****** no gears.

Pulled onto hard shoulder car still stuck in gear - clutch fine (when depresses engine ticks over when let out stalls)

Yep gearbox dead, evidently the gear selector broke causing the damage.

Funny you should say about problems with 2nd to 3rd I had these.

Well might get the car back this week audi have told me.

Be interesting to drive with a new gearbox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif