Jardo's 'Journey to quattro' - My Story...

Car got keyed last night.

Tried to machine polish it out, this is what I am left with -

2011-11-22140903.jpg

2011-11-22140940.jpg

2011-11-22140935.jpg

2011-11-22140930.jpg

2011-11-22140920.jpg

SO angry!

Oh no!!
I feel you pain, some nob head done the same to my passenger side.
Not a nice feeling at all!

Car got keyed last night.

Tried to machine polish it out, this is what I am left with -

2011-11-22140935.jpg

SO angry!

This one is the worst, I mean look at how old those door handles look!

I'd tend to agree with aragorn though, doesn't look like its been keyed mate, as the scratch is too wide.

It does look like a bikes been scraped up it or something looking at them. Just so annoyed about it, poor car.

Thing is, I have nobody or nothing to put the blame on. It has made me want to move house, because my Scirocco was keyed too. When we moved there.the woman nextdoor had just had the mirrors ripped off her new Fiesta and the other month the Cayenne a couple of doors down had a brick thrown at its windscreen.

I dont gun it up and down the road, I dont even know any of the neighbours. To anybody on the street I obviously love my car and I am the only person who polishes their car once a week and is out there under the bonnet three or four times a week.

I don't think I was "targeted" as such, just.cannot.believe it has happened to me!

Yeh, i'm always wary parking at my brothers place. Theres always kids out on bikes, which itself is fine, but due to the layout of the scheme, they're effectively playing in the road and in/around the parking bays.

Theres a narrow path that runs along the front of the parking bays in one area, and I stood one day and watched a young kid walking along this path with his bike. He'd positioned himself so the bike was between him and the cars, and part way along the path someone had parked with the nose of the car slightly overhanging the pavement. The pedal of the bike obviously sticks out, and caught on the edge of the bumper. The kid more or less just yanked the bike, and dragged said pedal right across the front of the bumper/grille etc, and walked on, seemingly oblivious.

I make sure i park in the middle of the row, and ensure i'm a good foot back from the pavement bit whenever i park there now!

I used Intensive Shine and a DA with some poor boys pads to apply. Intensive suits Volcano Black really well. And yes, I used a sharpie to touch up the scratches! I would have it resprayed but it'd ruin my power to weight ratio...

When you say drawers do you mean boxers?

I used Intensive Shine and a DA with some poor boys pads to apply. Intensive suits Volcano Black really well. And yes, I used a sharpie to touch up the scratches! I would have it resprayed but it'd ruin my power to weight ratio...

When you say drawers do you mean boxers?

Of course. I've set up my empire selling worn underwear on eBay!

Looks better mate, shame you won't be able to get the centre caps off to put Audi ones on..

Are those wheels from the last S3 you slayed? :whistle2:

Does look much better though, but get some Audi caps obviously. Why dont you swap them with your mrs wheels ;)

Racing for pink slips? Car does look better though Jardo, those 16's looked ****e, I should know, I have a set in the garden.

Last edited:
Well I have grown up a little bit and dropped my boost (MBC) from uncapped peaks of 28psi down to 20psi, car is not as quick but running a lot nicer with a much smoother delivery and no nasty spikes. Which is a nice trade off, because I want to make the turbo last until at least April so I can buy a hybrid or Ko4 and it's still pretty quick.

Wondering what to do when it comes to turbo upgrades, I'm tempted to go down the Ko3 hybrid route but the turbo's themselves are so expensive for what they are.

Thinking about getting one of these and giving it a try - 96-03 AUDI A4 PASSAT K03 KO3 TURBO CHARGER 1.8T 400HP OIL FEED RETURN LINE BOV | eBay

A lot of people say they are **** and not to buy one which initially was my opinion, but nobody has ever actually owned one. And every person I have spoken to/seen who has had an ebay special turbo has said that when stripped and rebuilt with lubricant and to proper torque settings they are brilliant and have lasted 20k+. A lot of people on Driftworks use them, and say they are very good and withstand a years worth of total abuse on drift cars at 25PSI+. It's got to be much safer at 16PSI than my KO3s would be at 26PSI+. And if it does go bang, it isn't going to get past the intercooler anyway?

Bought an atmospheric Bailey DV to try out, and a Parrot to fit :)

Also, matching his and hers cars FTW -

2011-12-04141948.jpg

Last edited:

That for an inline 20v not a tranverse one mate...

Bought an atmospheric Bailey DV to try out...

Seriously dude.... Nick mentioned this to me last night... really??? each to their own of course but you know my feelings on atmos valves and of course the Split-R!!!!...

I've said it before... atmos valves have no place on 20v's running Bosch ECU's...

<tuffty/>

That for an inline 20v not a tranverse one mate...

Seriously dude.... Nick mentioned this to me last night... really??? each to their own of course but you know my feelings on atmos valves and of course the Split-R!!!!...

I've said it before... atmos valves have no place on 20v's running Bosch ECU's...

<tuffty/>

I know that one is, I just clicked the wrong link that time. But the same seller has the same turbo for a golf/jetta/a3 etc listed. Any thoughts on them? The way I see it is what's the worst that can happen. 99-05 K03 KO3 TURBO CHARGER VW Jetta / GOLF 1.8T 400HP OIL FEED RETURN LINE BOV | eBay

Ref the atmospheric DV, I am having SO many problems with mine. I've tried two 007p DV's on there and neither of them work well at all. I've got a spring tuning kit for christmas off my mum (epic!) so I'm going to have a play with both and see what works. Why do you say they are so bad then? I would never run a split R, that seems totally stupid and I can never see it working. But I can't see why a good quality atmospheric would be so bad? For me, the more lag the better. I don't want my car to spool up instantly.

Ref the atmospheric DV, I am having SO many problems with mine. I've tried two 007p DV's on there and neither of them work well at all. I've got a spring tuning kit for christmas off my mum (epic!) so I'm going to have a play with both and see what works. Why do you say they are so bad then? I would never run a split R, that seems totally stupid and I can never see it working. But I can't see why a good quality atmospheric would be so bad? For me, the more lag the better. I don't want my car to spool up instantly.

modern cars with MAF sensors just cant run them well. you fuelling will be off. the ecu expects X amount of air to be recirculated. i've tried putting my DV to atmos just to see for myself. blocked the TIP and it just goes mental at idle and goes limp.

why and what are your problems? spring choice?

I know that one is, I just clicked the wrong link that time. But the same seller has the same turbo for a golf/jetta/a3 etc listed. Any thoughts on them? The way I see it is what's the worst that can happen. 99-05 K03 KO3 TURBO CHARGER VW Jetta / GOLF 1.8T 400HP OIL FEED RETURN LINE BOV | eBay

AH, that looks better... 400hp though? really??? please don't buy it thinking thats what its capable of mate...

Is there any evidence of this turbo charger in action? plots etc from cars that have had it fitted? what is the flow rate of the compressor? the sizes they give don't mean a lot without info of what the compressor is capable of...

Don't forget injectors assuming this is going to give you more than 230hp... and of course S3 MAF housing and all the other shizzle (including the 'r' word ;P)

Not about spool... all about how the engines run... 20vt's run in a sealed intake system... air measured by the MAF and the ECU knows how much fuel it needs to supply based on the load etc...

On lift off the DV recirculates (hence recirculating valve) the air back into the intake as its already measured and everything is fine... blow it out to atmos and the engine will run rich for a second or two leading to stalling, flooding (multiple coil pack misfires) and hesitation inbetween gear changes...

DV's are pretty simple devices... if you are having running issues then I can't see how it could be the DV at fault... hooked up to a vacuum source from the inlet mani, they are open on vacuum and closed under boost... thats about it...

I suspect any probs you are having are due to other issues and the DV is a symptom rather than the cause...

<tuffty/>

If I go for one of those I'll run it low, I will be happy if it's reliable peak is KO4 power (270bhp+/-) which is more than enough for FWD.

I was going to go for a set of Saab Redtop injectors which are 360cc@3bar and a VR6 MAF on whatever setup I go for.

Well the issues I have got are that the DV is holding on to the boost, I'll go to change gear and half way through the change the revs will pop up and even if I have it up to 26PSI there is no real noise from the DV. I know that isn't exactly an issue, but with the noises I am getting from it and the way my girlfriends and prawns drive I'm not sure it's normal. I was wondering if it could be due to having a standard spring, but when I swapped my DV with my girlfriends my car was silent (didn't make it's famous screaming babies/broken turbo noise)and all was perfect for a day then it went back to how it was when it was when I had my DV back on with no noise from the "dump" and hearing a screaming noise under part boost.

My car will make a horrible noise which has become affectionally known as "screaming babies" and basically on boost it'll sound like a screaming baby, and it makes a VERY loud tick (like a ticking gasket, but magnified) when building boost. But after a hard drive and 5/10 mins it goes quiet and sounds healthy. Then when allowed to cool slightly and driven normally the noises return.

Getting multiple misfires with no fault codes even when on low boost which clear later on or after a boost or two. EVERY time I plug in VCDS lite I have a mixture adaption code.

Destroying fuel, literally drinking it.

And every time I do a data log I NEVER get a GPS reading above 156GPS, the MAF is a £30 ebay special and I have a S/H genuine MAF on it's way to me. However once I got what I believe is a true reading which showed a healthy log with a maxed MAF. (189GPS+ for 1200RPM)

And that's about it for problems with my car haha! I can't give it a full vag-com because I have windows 7, I need to find somebody who can do me a fuel log really. :(

Last edited:
Seriously dude... bring it over and let me look at it... get it run on the dyno too... DV doesn't make or affect the holding of boost (unless its leaking of course)

Only time I have seem something 'like' this is when an Ibiza Cupra owner did an N249 bypass and put a one way valve in the vac hose so when the DV first released it stayed released... in your case if this valve was the other way around then it won't let the DV release as it would have closed under boost but not be able to see vacuum...

You can see if the DV is working by starting the car with the DV removed from the TIP (block the outlet in the TIP and leave the vac and boost side pipes connected)... when idling the DV will be under vacuum and should be open.... rev the car a little and you will see it close... that will indicate the DV is setup right and working as it should... if the DV is working (and assuming the 007p's you had were new and therefore fine) then you could have issues with vacuum or something...

Throwing DV's at this won't fix the prob if the DV is not the prob and I am struggling to see how it can be...

<tuffty/>

Let me know costings and time and I will.

Getting fed up with it now :(

Thanks buddy, a massive help as always!

Let me know costings and time and I will.

Getting fed up with it now :(

Thanks buddy, a massive help as always!

Your best bet is to call Bill mate.... I am only there at the weekends so won't see him all week... I will try and have a chat with him on MSN etc in the week though if I can...

<tuffty/>

My day offs are Thursday, would be good to get something sorted at the start of January so it's hopefully running right for Brands.

At Combe where it was being thrashed it was spot on and it loved it, so under those conditions when you would expect a "broken" car to show its faults it won't. It's driving to work back on a daily basis it gets the hump. :(

I know it sounds silly but have you cleaned the throttle body in awhile? I done mine with sum break cleaner and a rag and sorted out my misfire and stalling. Worth a look.

I know it sounds silly but have you cleaned the throttle body in awhile? I done mine with sum break cleaner and a rag and sorted out my misfire and stalling. Worth a look.

Did it last month and reset the TB angle at the same time :(

Regarding the turbo, Unit 18 have developed a new turbo k03 with turbotechnics (i think it was) would should be good for approaching the 300bhp marker. Its fitted to the bora and awaiting results so when i know them i`ll post them up. Or just find Unit18 automotive on facebook and have a look :)