Jardo's 'Journey to quattro' - My Story...

I hope the turbo's been replaced, or you've budgeted for a new turbo, or you have warranty to cover said turbo, because from experience you'll probably need it.

turbo's are awful but everything else is soooooo much nicer

Welll interestingly Mr Phil Miller has a 140 Golf his is mapped; and it's pretty ****** good tbh. I've said that since I first went in it. And he's always said it's the only car he will never sell, he loves the thing. It was his recommendation and experience that made me take the plunge with thsi one.

The turbo makes no noise, doesn't smoke and pulls well. So I'm hoping for a trouble free ownership; that said it's cheaper than the Edition 30/S3 I've been saving for and budgeting for over the last 3 months. So if anything does go I'm prepared.

Anything else I should be cautious of? So far I have flywheels and turbos?

Reactions: phil miller
Mines mapped too, not overly much only around the 170 figure however the turbo still failed after a few months of being mapped. Think it gave up on around 68k.

Tbh I never thought I'd like a diesel as much as I do with mine, and like you have been saving for an S3. However I'm not fussed by not owning one yet as you never realise just how good these tdi's are until you actually own one.

Only other things I know of is they don't like hid's unless it's the well-done version, which there's a group buy on them at the min, pretty rubbish clutches but withstand 170-180bhp and cylinder heads cracking which apparently wasn't an issue on the 2006 onwards ones. You can check, if you've got a revision C head there are no known cylinder heads that crack. That's pretty much it I think hah

If you decide to break the a3 or sell it do you fancy selling me the silver project top mounts?? Cheeky i know but worth an ask

Mines mapped too, not overly much only around the 170 figure however the turbo still failed after a few months of being mapped. Think it gave up on around 68k.

Tbh I never thought I'd like a diesel as much as I do with mine, and like you have been saving for an S3. However I'm not fussed by not owning one yet as you never realise just how good these tdi's are until you actually own one.

Only other things I know of is they don't like hid's unless it's the well-done version, which there's a group buy on them at the min, pretty rubbish clutches but withstand 170-180bhp and cylinder heads cracking which apparently wasn't an issue on the 2006 onwards ones. You can check, if you've got a revision C head there are no known cylinder heads that crack. That's pretty much it I think hah

Thanks, I'll keep all of this in mind.

I don't think I'll even map it TBH. Just going to run it and keep it as cheap as possible. :)

Don't quote me.

But I think that the Slayer has just been sold to a mate of Prawn and I's, the friend in question lives in Castle Combe.

I really hope that the Slayer will be used like it was always supposed to be.

Welcome to the dark side, you're gonna love it!

Seriously, they're great cars, what you said about run it as cheap as possible is probably a good idea, just see what drops off, I wouldn't worry too much though about all the "scare stories" just try to enjoy the car (it's honestly not that difficult). 've had mine for over a year biggest expense has been a Haldex controller, not a commmon fault but expensive if they do go. I have just done teh rear suspension, has a leaking shock and a broken spring, did the brakes while I was there, no other major dramas though, enjoy!

Reactions: 16Klappe
WOOO thank fck now GFY and GTFO!

Only kidding. Looks a good car :) The 140 feels quicker than it is as that fat dollop of torque comes in early all at once. I dont mind driving the 140 golfs at work.

I think you made a wise choice jardo! The 8P is a great car! Maybe one day ey! :)

No black wheels!!!

1385681_1425133994368444_308342640_n.jpg

Reactions: A19quattro
Going to join the 8P guys and get some speedlines, bags and silly small tyres?

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Ok

Thank you Jardo for your kind words dude :)

First NEVER EVER fit an HID kit of any sort to this car, having lights and vision the HID kit burn out thew wiper motor, some do it in hours mine took 2 years, but when the motor failed it was the worst toime for it to

Next the Turbo, yes a known weak point but before they fail the start to sound like a copper is followijng you, so no noise good turbo, also the turbo issue is down to Longlife services and the WRONG spec oil used

flywheels do fail, but hay lets face it £200 for a new DMF isnt an issue, no different to a ****ed 8L gearbox to replace imho, i can remove the box, fit new DMF and clutch kit and have the car running again within 1.5 hours, they come apart really well, so easy its untrue

imho its a great buy Jardo, you will love it......anyone wanna buy Ron, i have an S-line size problem i wanna fix :)

Reactions: JudderMan and 16Klappe
I just filled out he log book, it's officially mine!

Taking it home tonight, then a deep clean tomorrow.

Slayers going to my dads for a bit.

You can f@@k off to the 8P forum now....lol

Reactions: Sam_, 16Klappe, smurfworth and 4 others
Lovely new car Jardo! I had one before my S3 and loved it (although mine wasn't an S-Line) need some interior pics aswell

I LOVE the new car.

Prawn and I dropped the Slayer off at my dads today, Prawn drove the 8L there and I followed. It looked so badass on the road popping and hissing away.

1385163_1425579417657235_174176862_n.jpg

Sold a slow car and bought a slower one. Seems logical. :whistle2:

Reactions: StaceyS3 and Sam_
Well....... Wow! What happened? Is this a backwards midlife crisis...

i bought a tdi because I loved the looks of the new a3 , but going from a string of fast cars to a tdi was suicide and the new s3 wasn't out when I bought mine so 6 months later I found myself scratching the itch with my yellow beast the e46 m3 .
It's great all round car modern vag diesels but they are not fast, they aren't even quick they are just "quick for what they are" .

It should feel nice and different for a while mate but I put money on you getting the urge for a fast hatch within 3-6 months.

enjoy , Sean

1385621_1425724517642725_1950915744_n.jpg

1383409_1425724530976057_1175470868_n.jpg

1378350_1425724557642721_276141623_n.jpg

1381714_1425724604309383_1577641332_n.jpg

Couldn't really do too much with it today because of he weather.

Got a coat of Black Hole on though.

I agree with Sean.

having driven the new one last night, it's a ****** lovely car, really, REALLY nice.

But I still think you'll be bored and wanting more within 6 months. Still, trade it in against an edition 30 and you've made a very quick profit :) that's my prediction!

Next 'big pay day month' when the next new reg comes out, this'll go for an ED30

Probably; but over the winter whilst I am skint it is perfect.

I am enjoying not slowing to crawling speed for speed bumps, and being able to park on curbs, and being able to drive down country roads.

And getting 47mpg average.

Need to work out what to do with the 8L now.

Reactions: Goubo1
Only 47mpg? You could get 50 out of your old A3???

Reactions: jojo, superkarl and Westy
I have to say Jardo, that is a lovely car, and tbh the 8p is light years ahead of the 8L in terms of trim and extras, like ive said yes the A3 was prob quicker than this 8P but i know which id rather own, and lets face it the 140 TDI isnt slow,regardless of what everyone says, and mpg even kicking hell out of it will always be better than any petrol engine being granny driven.

Jardo, when your bored, let me know, i will buy it off you at the drop of a hat dude, Rach wants one, and when ive got her one it means i can have my Golf back and ron can stay in the garage (at least it wont break if its not driven)

Will do bro!

It's your fault, your Mk5 converted me. Going to get out there and wax it now. :)

Why would anyone want an ed30 when you could have an 8p s3? You all go on about how nice the 8p is now you've experienced one, yet the ed30 just doesn't have the edge that the Audi has.

And yes, you'll all argue over the "better performance and fun factor" yet most of people say the LCR is more "performance and fun" yet own an a3/s3.

I know for a fact, personally I wouldn't even trade my tdi for an ed30.

but you're mad. 8P/mk5 refinement, 360bhp on the stock turbo, if looking FWD, the ED30 / TFSI Cupra are the perfect cars

Reactions: voorhees
360 bhp on a FWD, that's mad! I don't see the point in having all that power in a front wheel drive, yours is different prawn simply due to the time effort and money you've invested.

360bhp on a Quattro and being able to get all of those 360 horses down on the Tarmac rain or shine is my argument for an s3, which is not mad and perfect for your everyday Joe blogs kinda guy.

Reactions: Westy and s3dave
The anti lift kit goes a long way also a few tweaks and its not wheelspinning everywhere at all.