AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1316171819202122232425262728293033 ... LastLast
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: Jardo's pretend S3 build! Now with quattro! with full 'Instagram' updates!

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Soooo.

I have been getting a small coolant loss, 1 litre every 1000 miles or so. The low level light has never come on, the heaters are up to temp and the climate works, never gone above 90*.

Today on the way home I had a slightly weird experience, with gently pulling away in first the car went like **** then I backed off, I never asked it to go like that but it just took off.

After this the car felt slow, and I was convinced I had a boost leak and the car had over boosted. I popped the bonnet and it was hot as **** and the coolant tank was bubbling and had nothing in it. I gently let off the cap and all hell broke lose, the car threw about three litres of boiling coolant out.

Very strange.

I refilled and started the car and heard a chattering from the bottom end, immediately I suspected the water pump had sheered. But then I remembered it is a metal one :/

There is no flow in the header tank, the water is just stagnant.

There is a little mayo in the filler cap for the oil.

I took the car for a short drive and it feels down on power until you give it full beans, then it is fine. Doesn't over heat at all, blowers on or off.

So, any suggestions?
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    I'd go with instinct and check Jardo if it was me

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    I'd go with instinct and check Jardo if it was me
    I can't check it without taking the belt off can I?

:/

Then never do them.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Metal impeller pumps have a tendency to leak through the shaft... after not many miles either... every metal impeller pump I have seen has done this... not sure on the coolant problem other than maybe a cracked head... about the only time I have seen the coolant system over pressurise... head gaskets don't normally fail on 20vt's

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Metal impeller pumps have a tendency to leak through the shaft... after not many miles either... every metal impeller pump I have seen has done this... not sure on the coolant problem other than maybe a cracked head... about the only time I have seen the coolant system over pressurise... head gaskets don't normally fail on 20vt's

<tuffty/>
    Not knowing as much as tuffty about engines obviously but i cracked a head on a 1.2 clio (after buying one trying to be economical which lasted me a couple of months as it was depressing me too much to drive) and it drove as normalish for a few months but used a little bit more water as your using a month but not much more.

Hope its not a cracked head really for you though.
    Booooooosting just a little bit

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

Jardo's new 'Man Boooost' toy!

Is there any evidence of the original coolant leak? Can you pin point where it was coming from? Has it ever had a full flush of the coolant? Are the rad hoses both getting warm?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    I can't check it without taking the belt off can I?

:/
    I'm sure that you can take the thermostat out and check the water pump impellers

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    I'm sure that you can take the thermostat out and check the water pump impellers
    Long finger trick needed
    ​Wish Rachel would let me have my TDI mk5 back

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Bahhhhhhhhh

Then never do them.

4th Gear

Status
    Had the exploding expansion tank a few weeks ago on my ibiza, that was the head gasket Hopefully your heads alright though I have two spare if you do need one mate, kleptomaniac lol
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

Status
    Your an A3 so not 100% on that,no ETKA here

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

I just feel so gutted, this thing has been so perfectly reliable for four years. Never let me down once

And within the space of two months the clutch has gone, the gearbox, every possible mount, now the waterpump and cambelt will need to be prematurely done, potential cracked head and certainly a head gasket.

Jesus hates me.

Then never do them.

4th Gear

Status
    Jesus doesn't hate you, besides now may be a good time to find solace in religion...preferably buddism or something that teaches inner peace.
    Be positive, after 4 years of trouble free motoring and abuse its expected to have a few things to deal with. Needn't cost the earth and thewhole car will be nearly new again

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach3 View Post
    Jesus doesn't hate you, besides now may be a good time to find solace in religion...preferably buddism or something that teaches inner peace.
    Be positive, after 4 years of trouble free motoring and abuse its expected to have a few things to deal with. Needn't cost the earth and thewhole car will be nearly new again
    Very true, ive tried to explain, if it is the HG its no biggy, and will cost parts, and poss red bull and a few fags
    come on, you boys need to keep me busy, otherwise id do something silly like get Rach up the duff or such like lol

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    ahh your past few months reminds me of my entire experience of mk2 golf ownership, bought it for £350, spent 2k on it, sold it for £300 a year later still not running properly after everything possible went wrong about 3 months after i brought the damn thing.
    dont worry phil i'll be popping out to tavi soon, summer is comming and mine needs to be running tiptop!
    2001 1.8T Quattro Sport 89k covered ARY engine.
    Remapped at Badger 5, 213bhp - 235lb/ft torque.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave adjustable tie bars

Soon to be done: SAI delete, Install the toyosport FMIC i have kicking about in my living room

6th Gear

Status
    Got some coilovers that need fitting so drive to Bedford please... Don't do a silly thing like have a child lol.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I just feel so gutted, this thing has been so perfectly reliable for four years. Never let me down once

And within the space of two months the clutch has gone, the gearbox, every possible mount, now the waterpump and cambelt will need to be prematurely done, potential cracked head and certainly a head gasket.

Jesus hates me.
    I dont think this flat shifting/Launch control business is kind to the engine, it is soon going to show a weakness

Apart from that Jesus may hate you....

5th Gear

Status
    Welcome to the world I used to have. Lets hope nothing else happens after.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Launch control?

MAN BOOOOST?!?

LOL!
    Westy likes this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    Very true, ive tried to explain, if it is the HG its no biggy, and will cost parts, and poss red bull and a few fags
    come on, you boys need to keep me busy, otherwise id do something silly like get Rach up the duff or such like lol
    Don't joke, I need mani, fmic, lg porthead and turbo doing.....plus Jards workload, Rach is safe for a while

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach3 View Post
    Don't joke, I need mani, fmic, lg porthead and turbo doing.....plus Jards workload, Rach is safe for a while
    Thats what i like to hear dude

nanananananananan BATMAN

Status

My Social Networking

Add MIGGZ on Facebook

Jardo's new 'Man Boooost' toy!

Sh1t dude I'm sorry man, that's really a crap feeling dude

My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

Mine is healthy

yours is on steriods!!!

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I think the key thing you're forgetting here mate, is that it hasn't been your car for the pst 4 years, it's been Lous.

It's had an easy life, a simple st1 remap, and it's trundled around town for a few years and done the odd long trip.

In the 4 months that you've owned it, you've added a front mount, an exhaust, a st2 map with launch control. You've hugely increased it's output, and you hammer it about everywhere, so I think it's fair to say it's had more abuse since you got it in october than it has in the last 4 years

Sad, but most definitely true.
    Westy likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Neutral

Status
    As ever, Prawn is the voice of reason. The reason I gave the car up was because it was coming to a point where it needed money spent on it and I had neither inclination nor funds to throw at a 10 year old car (yes I know it's a great 10 year old car, but that was my decision). I knew as soon as I drove it the other day there was something not right, and absolutely it's not a surprise that now the car has been pushed further power-wise that other things were going to fail. I hadn't spent any money on it for a year and had done nothing more than pootle from one side of the city to the other 5 days a week. Poor thing. Never did it justice and then I gave it to this hooligan!
    You aren't stuck in traffic.... You are traffic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupigs View Post
    As ever, Prawn is the voice of reason. The reason I gave the car up was because it was coming to a point where it needed money spent on it and I had neither inclination nor funds to throw at a 10 year old car (yes I know it's a great 10 year old car, but that was my decision). I knew as soon as I drove it the other day there was something not right, and absolutely it's not a surprise that now the car has been pushed further power-wise that other things were going to fail. I hadn't spent any money on it for a year and had done nothing more than pootle from one side of the city to the other 5 days a week. Poor thing. Never did it justice and then I gave it to this hooligan!
    Lou, you can live with the Knowledge that you treated it well in all the time your had it. Jardo, what can i say, i have to agree with your good lady, your just a hooligan, lmao.
    Smaller (Local) Events
    Audi-Sport.net online magazine.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP.

4th Gear

Status
    Its gonna be ok, a day or to on life support and it will be fine, the A3 is in good hands, promise Lou

But im sure Ron is its twin, ive got to A3s outside on life support

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

It'll be ok, and it'll come back stronger than ever. I'm not giving up on the baby like Lou did, I knew **** was going to go wrong but I just hadn't counted on it going wrong this quickly and all at once.

I've got Phil Miller, and as Prawn said earlier nothing is a problem when you've got Phil on your side

New water pump, cambelt and compression test, fingers crossed that'll sort it. Total worst case we'll have to do the head, not the end of the world.

And if it looks this good broken, imagine how awesome it is working -

Then never do them.

4th Gear

Status
    ^^^ made me 'well up' thank you dude, and as bad as it sounds im only doing my job, i dont see that as anything amazing, both A3s will be fine, may take a few hours hard work but it will be A OK when all done

Neutral

Status
    Wow this thread is getting emotional... Who would know Philler is such a softie! Sorry to hear about Ron mate.xxx
    You aren't stuck in traffic.... You are traffic

Neutral

Status
    Nice! Except for that exhaust. Ugly, sorry!

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    On a cheerier side note, hows the tiger sealed mounts doing mate?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Tiger sealed mounts are awesome, get it done.

The plan was to do the rest of my polybushes yesterday but obviously with my over heating issue it didn't happen. I can't wait to get everything done and get it back on the road.

Going to work in the 500 this morning and then Lou is taking me to Russ's to pick up a head tonight.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Gutted to hear you've had issues. As Nick says I suppose it's just one of those things when you start getting much more than standard power from an old car. Good luck with getting it fixed, I'm sure Phil will do a good job of it. Look on the bright side, whatever bits need replacing, it'll be a few more parts that you know are fresh and good. 'Better the devil you know' and all that. Even if they're not up-rated it's still added piece of mind for the future knowing they're sound.

Occasionally I wish I had shiny paint I could pamper, your car does look damn good all polished up. (Then I remember I'd probably just neglect it anyway while I was playing with the oily bits.)
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry to hear about the issues. But remember, with great power comes great responsibility!

Im starting to fit the S2K filter this weekend. Did you have any joy fitting a heatshield? Would the S3 Dave one not fit?
    i may buy some sheet metal and attempt to fab one up. But I'd only have a drill and tin snips to try. Drilling a 70mm hole for the maf would be a nightmare!

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I don't know why everyone bothers with the heat-shield personally.....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    with only 185 ponies I don't want to run the risk of any running away. Into lasagne.

Its more sonething to support the maf with. And bolt the ignition amp to.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    While stopping the heat is questionable, the fact that it holds the MAF solid is without doubt a good thing, plus there are no pikey cable ties hanging around..

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

I don't have any pikey cable ties!

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    I think the fact it hold the MAF steady and looks pretty negates the fact you might lose 1 G/S.

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by demons uk View Post
    I think the fact it hold the MAF steady and looks pretty negates the fact you might lose 1 G/S.
    If you knew how many heat shields I have you'd understand that g/s is everything.

And I've got another two in the shed...
    Last edited by 16Klappe; 21st February 2013 at 10:11.

Then never do them.