Jardo's 'Journey to quattro' - My Story...

Why is your car stripped out?

Because Racecar.

Leave it :p

Bwaaahahahahahah that's exactly what I said this morning when I was driving to work, " because racecar " the only thing with it being stripped is no spare, tools or bass! I don't know how happy I am about that, I also rubberized the boot last night. When I'm on the computer later ill update my thread

Yeah you boys need an 02M with some strong shafts then? Just kidding. Loads of power/torque is never good for shafts though anyhow. Was Prawns from the diff or the increased power?

Decent tyres != Decent diff though. They'll help all round though, of course.

Yeah you boys need an 02M with some strong shafts then? Just kidding. Loads of power/torque is never good for shafts though anyhow. Was Prawns from the diff or the increased power?

Decent tyres != Decent diff though. They'll help all round though, of course.

I think with nick it was the power and diff and the semis? Its going to break by the weakest link like a chain

I'd probably have a read of VWVortex and see how actually common it is. That's where you'll find the big power FWD lot...

I'd probably have a read of VWVortex and see how actually common it is. That's where you'll find the big power FWD lot...

Please keep us posted on that Sam, I'm to stupid to work out where to start on vortex? There are so many options there

Well, it's less of a worry for me seemingly (running the devils haldex). If I'm honest, I only check the classified forums on there.

Prawns breakages is due to the diff and slicks. Even when running sensible power he was still smashing cv joints. Before the diff he would be doing a couple every time he went to the ring or a track day.

It is the amount of traction he has, my dad has rebuilt all of his gearboxes so I have heard first hand what has gone wrong with them, and it is always sheering or torsion that my dad puts it down to.

More power and more wheel spin puts less strain on the gearbox because there is less torque going through it. But you know that anyway.

02J gearbox with VR6 internals and a diff is the best bet I think.

Aparently so, only internet and forum opinions though. Never personally tried one.

Hmmmm I don't know from experience iv broken more vr6 boxes then inner cvs and also the VR6 box ratio is so blooooody loooong, I mean we could get just over 240km/h in 4th the shift to 5? Given my ex VR revved to 7500rpm but still

the VR6 box ratio is so blooooody loooong, I mean we could get just over 240km/h in 4th the shift to 5? Given my ex VR revved to 7500rpm but still

That doesn't sound hugely dissimilar! Mine is doing 235km/h at the 7400rpm rev limiter in 4th.

That doesn't sound hugely dissimilar! Mine is doing 235km/h at the 7400rpm rev limiter in 4th.

1st - 65 to 70
2nd - 115 to 120
3rd - 195
4th - 240
5th - ??

I'm sure on a long track it will be awsome the issue I had with it in some corners was it was to slow for 2nd and to fast for 1st or to slow for 3rd and to fast for 2nd I think the ratio on our boxes are just right

those are slightly longer yea, I don't work in km's usually, so to be arkward I think mine does 40 in 1st, 75 in second, 115 in 3rd, 140 in 4th, and whatever you dare in 5th, highest I've seen is an indicated 170ish. that's plenty!

When I had my A3 the most I dare take it up to was just under 70mph in 2nd, it felt and sounded so harsh, god knows what 75mph must feel like, can't be very good.

those are slightly longer yea, I don't work in km's usually, so to be arkward I think mine does 40 in 1st, 75 in second, 115 in 3rd, 140 in 4th, and whatever you dare in 5th, highest I've seen is an indicated 170ish. that's plenty!

Ok I work out yours to km/h and its like maybe 10 or so difference in final drive, that's still very long, maybe it felt longer in the VR cos it was NA? Maybe change change the final drive of the pinion to make it shorter?

I bounce mine off the limiter all the time. Same sort of speeds that Prawn gets.

No reason why the engine should be unhappy at 7K+, as long as the valve gear isn't worn. Single mass flywheel tends to help rev high.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the gearbox I was more concerned about, never fancied forking out for a new one.

I bounce mine off the limiter all the time. Same sort of speeds that Prawn gets.

No reason why the engine should be unhappy at 7K+, as long as the valve gear isn't worn. Single mass flywheel tends to help rev high.

What's the point of going to 7k rpm when the little k03 puffs all the energy out by 5500rpm? Besides at 7k and you change gear you already at 5300 or 5600rpm so you out of power band

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the point of going to 7k rpm when the little k03 puffs all the energy out by 5500rpm? Besides at 7k and you change gear you already at 5300 or 5600rpm so you out of power band

gear ratio, more power or not, changing too early will slow you down as you're entering a longer gear

1st I change at 6k
2nd - 5600 to 5700
3rd - 5600 to 5800
4th - 5700

For my current setup it works well especially with wotbox I'm in a constant G and pulls strong no lag or hesitation

UK stage two cars make their power higher up the rev range, also when doing a 0 to sprint it is of much more benefit to hold the gear to improve the time than it is to stay within the power band. My car used to make between 15 and 17psi up to 6500rpm.

That's why most S3's don't make a great 0 to 60 time, because they need three gears to get there.

That's on the last car, I think the new car might be even quicker. That was on 16" 195 tires which had been in my shed for 18 months and were rock solid haha.

only cars that benefit from a short shift are diesels IMO

what's the hp at 6500 rpm comapred to 5500 rpm ?

UK stage two cars make their power higher up the rev range, also when doing a 0 to sprint it is of much more benefit to hold the gear to improve the time than it is to stay within the power band. My car used to make between 15 and 17psi up to 6500rpm.

That's why most S3's don't make a great 0 to 60 time, because they need three gears to get there.

That's on the last car, I think the new car might be even quicker. That was on 16" 195 tires which had been in my shed for 18 months and were rock solid haha.

Hmmmmmmm I can try that later and see how it goes then?

Let's not go there again Jardo, it wasn't holding over a bar at 6500rpm. No ko3s does, and certainy not your old shagged one!

infoun taking it to 7k relatively pointless with the ko3s, above 6 is was fairly lifeless, and as miggz said you're dropping back to beyond peak torque, so not ideal.

On the hybrid it'll now happily hold 21psi right out to the 7400rpm limiter, and feels amazing doing so too.

I found my ko3s was definitely quickest changing just before 6k

Ok just checked my dyno graph, at 5500rpm I'm at 213whp and at 6200rpm I'm at 182whp so that's 30whp drop in 700rpm

surely that 30bhp would be outweighed by the longer gear ratio, in terms of %, the power change there is basically 15%, but the gear ratios, specially lowe gears will certainly increase by more than 15%

Some cars and maps are better than others, I would suggest that a "cliff" drop in performance was true for stage 1 cars, but it is a smoother wind down with more modern stage 2 cars what with Niki's late spool up and EGT control.

We shall see, if I am even close to Mylo's car I will be over the moon. I never liked the low down dieselness of K03's, so fingers crossed I have made the right choice.

whats it making 700rpm on the other side of peak?

You dont want to change AT peak power, you want to change at such a point that your average power stays as high as possible.

If you shift at 5500, and drop down to 3k you'll be making about 120hp until you climb back up the revs again...

If you shift at 6.5k and drop to 4k you'll likely be making on average more even though you revved past peak power, because you'll land in the next gear at a better point.

I don't know at this point.

I was specifically talking about 0 to runs where the time lost changing gear is a bigger loss than bhp lost by reving past peak power.

Normally I change at 6k; but when going for a peak time it makes a big difference using the extra rpm.

At 3300rpm I'm at max torque of 400nm / 295flbt or what ever lol

At 3600 I'm at 220whp and by 4900 it starts to drop not by much only after 6k is there like 160whp to 170whp

If I change at 5800 I'm at about 4400rpm

Is it all about the track? Good god. If it was, the car for the job would be...

R500%20CC.jpg

Or a radical ;)