8L CD boot changer

moredoor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after abit of info as I'm watching a cd boot changer on ebay that's from an A4, will this work with the right cable on my A3?

Cheers

With the right cable i would say so, but i think itl be a ****** getting the right cable.

There are only 2 different types of changer for Audi's. They are all made by either Panasonic (Matsu****a) or early ones by Blaupunkt. The only compatibility issue is the plug. Early ones (pre-97) had a round plug, with 8 pins in a circular pattern. Most of the ones on ebay are the later square pin configuration (13 pin, with only 10 pins used). Think all the A3 units were this later type. Check you have a pre-installed bus cable. It is clipped to the bodywork in the passenger side cubbyhole in the boot. It's quite far back towards the front of the car, past the rear seat belt reel:
CDchangercablelocation.jpg

AudiBuslead.jpg

If you have the cable then the changer will be a simple plug & play.
If there is no cable then you need to check the HU and see if you have the single black top plug, or the earlier (pre2000) multicoloured plug. With the multicolored plug you can simply install the bus cable by sliding on the blue section. With the black plug you need an adapter, as you can't plug the changer cable in without disconnecting the DIS and rear amp feed.

Thanks for the help/info Andymac, you really know this stuff. So I can also use a Panasonic unit like in your pic.

No I'd stick with OEM. The Panasonic has a different lead so you need to buy an adapter, which can then cause interference issues.

Sorry to butt in guys - just to confirm i have a 97 A3 and my changer is on the round earlier plug (had a few issues). Just to be aware of...

Iv got a cd changer from my 2001 s3, had someone buy it from me on ebay about 6 months ago lol, but they never paid for it... So still got it sitting round

Mine is a facelife A3 T sport and checked to see if I had that 'bus' cable and no joy. Will remove the head unit to see which plugs it has.