No Drive! Driveshaft issues...

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday, on my 1.6 sport A3 the driver's side wishbone to ball joint connection (3 bolts through the wishbone) somehow managed to come undone and the the front drivers side collapsed.

Now this was an easy fix, I've just replaced the bolts, but now I have no drive.

The O/S drive shaft to hub attachment is fine, but the connection to the gearbox is where the problem is. There is no obvious break in the drive shaft, but there is definite play in the drive shaft like it is loose in the gator where is attaches to the gearbox. Could this be a snapped shaft within the gator? Or is it something like a bearing which needs to be re-attached.

If somebody has had any similar issues and can shed some light it would be appreciated.

BTW I have the car booked in for Monday, but want to get some ideas in the meantime so I can begin sourcing parts if needs be.

Cheers in advance!

sounds like the shaft might have popped out of the CV at one end or the other.....

Try jacking it up, and spinning the wheels.

If the wheels turn but the shafts don't, it's come out at the hub end (wont be visable due to boot)

If the wheel AND shaft turn but the gearbox flange doesn't turn, it'll be at the Inner CV end.

God luck!

Cheers for the info mate. Its definitely the inner O/S Joint. I hope its the CV joint then and nothing more. Will update as I find out.