Monster MotorsportBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi Newbie Oil Advice Needed

I've just bought an A3 1.9 TDi 130 SE on an 02 Plate, but not sure which oil is the right one. My local garage say '5w 30 fully synthetic', but the book says that the oil type is dependant upon whether it's had extended service intervals or not. The car's only had one owner, but he hasnt' a clue - the only evidence I can find of oil change in service record is of 0W 30 going in, which isn't either of the previous options... help please! It needs some oil, just don't want to put the wrong sort in. I'm thinking the easiest thing is to get the local garage to do an oil change anyway....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Have a look in the service manual, if it has been serviced "regularly" as per the service book (the mileages of suggested services are printed in it) then use the oil that Audi recommend (but buy it from VW because it's usually cheaper!)

In the owners handbook it tells you what oil to use for the servicing schedules.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd avoid long life servicing on a car of this age, or any age for that matter.
    One of the most cost effective ways is to use the genuine VAG Quantum oil from the dealer.
    For fixed servicing it is Quantum Platinum Fully Synthetic 5w40, which meets VAG's spec for a PD engine, along with a genuine filter and sump plug.
    Oil in a diesel gets dirty pretty quickly so I change it ever 5-6000 miles. It's an easy DIY if you're that way inclined.

Audi/VW Quantum PLATINUM / PD Oil - 5 Litres - 5w/40 | eBay
    Last edited by a3tdi2001; 8th September 2011 at 23:35.

4th Gear

Status
    With that price and the postage you might want to call your local Audi/VW dealer and see if the price is any better their!

2nd Gear

Status
    You're right. Sorry just put that link to show the oil. I think the oil, filter, and plug was around £34 from VW a couple of months back.

Reverse Gear

Status

Re - Newbie Oil Advice needed

thanks chaps, I'll book the car into the local for an oil and filter change today.