Audi Newbie Oil Advice Needed

Laurie P

A4 B6 1.8t Quattro Avant 190 + A3 8L 1.9tdi
Reaction score
I've just bought an A3 1.9 TDi 130 SE on an 02 Plate, but not sure which oil is the right one. My local garage say '5w 30 fully synthetic', but the book says that the oil type is dependant upon whether it's had extended service intervals or not. The car's only had one owner, but he hasnt' a clue - the only evidence I can find of oil change in service record is of 0W 30 going in, which isn't either of the previous options... help please! It needs some oil, just don't want to put the wrong sort in. I'm thinking the easiest thing is to get the local garage to do an oil change anyway....

Have a look in the service manual, if it has been serviced "regularly" as per the service book (the mileages of suggested services are printed in it) then use the oil that Audi recommend (but buy it from VW because it's usually cheaper!)

In the owners handbook it tells you what oil to use for the servicing schedules.

I'd avoid long life servicing on a car of this age, or any age for that matter.
One of the most cost effective ways is to use the genuine VAG Quantum oil from the dealer.
For fixed servicing it is Quantum Platinum Fully Synthetic 5w40, which meets VAG's spec for a PD engine, along with a genuine filter and sump plug.
Oil in a diesel gets dirty pretty quickly so I change it ever 5-6000 miles. It's an easy DIY if you're that way inclined.

Audi/VW Quantum PLATINUM / PD Oil - 5 Litres - 5w/40 | eBay

Last edited:
With that price and the postage you might want to call your local Audi/VW dealer and see if the price is any better their!

You're right. Sorry just put that link to show the oil. I think the oil, filter, and plug was around £34 from VW a couple of months back.

thanks chaps, I'll book the car into the local for an oil and filter change today.