bit missing from head light

lnewland

Reaction score
as i walked out the house today i noticed a bit of metal sat in my head light loose and soon discovered it should have been located above the bulb and looks like a shield that surrounds half of the bulb. upon trying to re fit it i noticed that on the rear of the head light there was like a white cog missing
as per

where as on the other side it looks like this

what is this part that is missing and can i buy it or is it a case that you have to replace the whole head light.
cheers
lee

Last edited by a moderator:
the white cog is only to adjust the head lights, no need to buy a new headlight because of a plastic cog, you will be able to adjust the othet light by getting a pair of mole grips on the rod that the cog was once on (I know i said cog a lot lol)

dont know if you can get inside the light to put the buld shield back up though??

the shield i have managed to rescue and reposition (not sure how well its going to hold though) the problem is that the part that the bulb secures to now moves. can i order these cog things

TBH i wouldnt bother, the time and messing it is going to take to get hold of one, going to audi and asking for "a cog think" and then handing over the money.

I would just remove the other cog and keep it safe in the car so you dont loose that one too, then wen you need to adjust the light put it back on and use it on both sides.

Mine has done the same thing on the Drivers side, the cog not only adjusts the headlight it also secures the "back panel" of the headlight as you look at it from the front of the car.

I personally bought a second hand h/light from the 'bay however you can araldite the cog back into place while using vice grips to pull the rod out. (This is what I did originally).

Sorry to derail a little but i was fiddling with these on mine today and no amount of turning either one actually adjusted the xenon height. I've always thought mine were pointing too far down so have tried a few times to adjust. Tonight i tried disconnecting the motors (the black verticle clip connectors that go into the back of the units, yes?) and trying again but still didn't see any movement. It was light when i tried so couldn't tell properly but going off the reflection on the front of the light unit not a lot was happening :-S