Just broke down!!!!

dplovin

Reaction score
On the side of the road now car lost power now my engines wobbling and knocking like mad??????

sounds like a coilpack might of gone

I was just booting it being honest then lost alot of bossy after changing gear now the engine just wobbles like mad and chuckles like a train, could it be a misfire ?

Had it mapped 3 days ago rekon that has sumat do with it

when my coilpack went on my last car it sounded like a tractor and had no oomph at all. it is basically not firing that cylinder much like a missfire.

If your coilpacks were originals then the map which is now pushing them harder could of tipped one over the edge and made it pop.

I bought 4 new ones to be on the safe side and kept the good 3 as spares.

Is it ok to drive like short distance a garage is literally round the corner

i drove about 5 miles home on mine as it happened as i was booting it onto the motorway. got home ordered the coilpacks put them in and it was all good to go.

Cant be 100% positive as am not a mechanic but if its a very short distance i would say you should be ok.

VAGCOM should tell you which coilpack has failed too if you have access to it.

if its misfire should be ok. But is it wobbling n **** like crazy on idle?

Yeah it's wobbling and knocking abit I can feel it sat in me seat when idle

a quick way to check if it is coil packs
with the engine running unplug the first if it makes a difference then that coil is fine, if it make no difference then that coil is the broke one, try this on all coils to see which is the broke on.....if any

Sounds like one or more coil packs have thrown in the towl, the excess movement could be due to it struggling to run on 1 or 2 cylinders and not being over happy at the task. New coilpacks should sort it as it is a common failure after a remap as others have said. if changing coilpack do all four as if you leave a old one it will sure as eggs are eggs fail shortly after.

yeah i did get abit of an eggy smell come from the car??

managed get it home now peeps drove ok considering, still wobbling a tad, sounds like the coilpacks then not as bad as first thought gonna have a look tommorow now, its pi##ing down'' might order some new coilpacks now, cheers for all the info guys and i'll keep you updated.

same thing happened to me, it's a coil pack, or possibly 2, when the sparks are not firing correctly the balance of the crank goes all over the place.

don't drive it, it's not good for the internals and it certainly isn't any good for the catalytic converter (or however you spell it)

some recovery people will actually go and buy the coil packs and change them for you if they can find a shop open, they are about £40 each from audi, i managed to source some from a scrapped 2007 a6 on ebay, all 4 for £80, do some revision on the part numbers, the new part numbers are more reliable.

to change them yourself will take about an 40 minutes if you take the sparks off too to give them a clean as they will most likely have fuel all over them

don;t just change 1 or 2, change them all

managed get it home now peeps drove ok considering, still wobbling a tad, sounds like the coilpacks then not as bad as first thought gonna have a look tommorow now, its pi##ing down'' might order some new coilpacks now, cheers for all the info guys and i'll keep you updated.
Was your car not in the recall?

yeah i did get abit of an eggy smell come from the car??

you really shouldn't drive it, if your cat fails that means future MOT's will fail due to emissions which = new cat!! when too much unburnt fuel goes into the cat, it reaches temps it's not designed for!!!

its staying put now mate untill it gets fixed, the thing that worried me abit was the wobble settled abit when i pushed the clutch in thought it was a gearbox on its way out

wow!! giving them a ring first thing tommorow cheers buddy

Cars back on the road!! :rockwoot:it was the coilpacks you lot should open up your own garage ;) rang audi thismorning they wouldnt replace the coilpacks for free or give me any, i had to pay but then had to take it to my local garage because nearly all the bolts had to be drilled out lol, all sorted now tho once again cheers guys :applaus:

didnt really give me a reason mate just tried fob me off saying there was nothing on his system about the recall lol then said he could get it booked in for me not free of charge. Crewe audi in cheshire i rang.

i was just desperate for a quick fix so took it to my local garage

If I were you, I'd print off the article above about the recall, bring it into them in your smooth running Audi and look for a refund.
Can be one rule for Audi and another for them

If I were you, I'd print off the article above about the recall, bring it into them in your smooth running Audi and look for a refund.
Can be one rule for Audi and another for them

Early S3's and A3's that came with Hitachi bolt down coilpacks are not under the recall. The Hitachi are supposedly more realiable than the push downs and very rarely let go

yeah mine are the bolt down ones. my boost levels are all over the place now tho unplugged the maf and it ran smooth but low boost, new maf now :)