S3 slow to start in the morning

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've noticed my car seems to be a slow to start when the engine is cold (i.e. left overnight). It takes a few cranks before it fires up, probably key held for 2-3 seconds.

Is this normal or should it be starting pretty much on the key?

My battery is fine and still pretty new. I know the cars are renowned for sounding like a barrel of bolts when cold, but I didn't expect it to be a laboured start.

Cheers

Nick

Fuel starvation (clogged fuel filter)?

Slight air leak?

Can't remember either of my BAM's being slow to start even with 50k on the first one.

When did you last change the plugs?

Mine is very much the same. I have to let fuel pump buzz and prime itself for one second then turnover, I just suspect its a tired fuel pump. Doesnt bother me too much, just one second before I turn the key fully.

Fuel starvation (clogged fuel filter)?

Slight air leak?

Can't remember either of my BAM's being slow to start even with 50k on the first one.

When did you last change the plugs?

I haven't checked the fuel filter actually, are they easy enough to change on these cars?

Plugs were changed last year at the major service according to the paperwork, so they should be alright.

Mine is very much the same. I have to let fuel pump buzz and prime itself for one second then turnover, I just suspect its a tired fuel pump. Doesnt bother me too much, just one second before I turn the key fully.

I'll give that a go!

the main one which is in front of the tank is a nightmare to get off as the rubber hoses are held on by those PITA hose clips that you need some practice at unclipping! There's a knack to opening them but I can't remember what it is!

Fair bit of petrol spillage so ensure you have a bowl to hand, but some who have changed have found car had more urgency once this was done.

Don't know what the reliability of FPR's are like on these, don't think it's an expensive part so may be worth a check too.

I might give the car a bit of a fuel system service then, may even get one of these ultrasonic baths and do the injectors, i'm guessing that won't hurt either.

They're really good actually, you'd be amazed how much crap comes out of the injectors. If you can get some new rubber seals for the injectors at the same time it's worth doing.

Just give everything some time to dry out, and remember when you put it all back together it will take quite a bit of time to restart it!

Last edited:
My car has done this since i bought it, second go every time, changed cleaned all of the above, got used to it now..just if left overnight, its fine after that

On cold start mine used to be shaky with S2 but once it got into normal operating temperatures it would idle normally. Missus always said it was like it was shuddering. Don't know if it is just the increased fuelling causing it. But it would start on the nail every time.

If money is no object and you haven't got anything better to spend your cash on then it's good preventative maintenance, but neither of my cars did it, so whether it's just part of the aging process???? Obviously best to spend as little as possible on doing whatever you do, I don't think fuel filters are expensive, neither are injector seals, and you can get sonic cleaners for <£20 which are useful for all sorts (use them for cleaning G-Shock watch after diving / missus jewellery etc.).

I had the same problem, in my case the fuel pump was tired on priming the fuel pressure wouldn't oder 20 psi, now with a new fuel pump i get at least 40 psi.
Now the car starts first time every time.
I suggest try first spark plug, fuel filter, TB cleaning and reset, then you can try a new fuel pump as last resort cause they're expencive.

Mine starts fine after being parked up for 11 months or so, ok, I couldn't get it started at first, but once I got it working, it fires easily first thing in the morning.

are you sure you guys are driving audis and not some copied chinese variant lol

my s3 starts first time first crank in any weather condition !

Nick, I am in Southminster I could give it a scan for you

You know what I might actually take you up on that offer, very kind. I'm in SWF so not far.

I don't know anything about VCDS/VAGCom so i'd appreciate it if we can hook up and do that. Probably a good idea in case there's anything else that pops up.

Last edited:
Funny mines done this since we had the cold spell, similar time I had the free coilpacks swap (could this have anything to do with it?? Got used to it now so don't even notice really. fires on 2nd/ 3rd turn if left overnight, but once it's been started fires first time every time even if left to stand for a few hrs. I just put it down to the low temp we had over winter. But it still does it :think:

Funny mines done this since we had the cold spell, similar time I had the free coilpacks swap (could this have anything to do with it?? Got used to it now so don't even notice really. fires on 2nd/ 3rd turn if left overnight, but once it's been started fires first time every time even if left to stand for a few hrs. I just put it down to the low temp we had over winter. But it still does it :think:
There is an advantage of it not firing first crank, in that oil gets thrown up first....So we are onto a winner damo...:beerchug:

No problems now my son, starts better than ever, infact, it's quicker than Revo on some days!

JoJo:cool: vs Voorhees :racer:

I'll give you a race Jojo? :friends:

Fancy selling me your wheels, or failing that PM'ing me a couple of pictures of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give you a race Jojo? :friends:

Fancy selling me your wheels, or failing that PM'ing me a couple of pictures of them?

Yes Mr Jojo Vettel give Jardo a race (maybe he will switch his remap off as well )

Jardo how about racing your "tuned" A3 against a "tuned" S3? You seem yo have a chip on your shoulder about S3s? :)

Jardo how about racing your "tuned" A3 against a "tuned" S3? You seem yo have a chip on your shoulder about S3s? :)

I don't mind winding Jojo up because I know I could have him, I'm dubious of winding you up incase you eat me :3sadwalk:

*goes off to find just how fast your car is* :readit:

I don't mind winding Jojo up because I know I could have him, I'm dubious of winding you up incase you eat me :3sadwalk:

*goes off to find just how fast your car is* :readit:

You know, I'd be up for a remapped S3 vs remapped A3 1/4mile challenge, on the condition that yours is not a stripped out road legal track car like Prawn's! I'm curious as to what is faster? I seriously don't mind losing, but I'd definitely give a go! :racer:

You know, I'd be up for a remapped S3 vs remapped A3 1/4mile challenge, on the condition that yours is not a stripped out road legal track car like Prawn's! I'm curious as to what is faster? I seriously don't mind losing, but I'd definitely give a go! :racer:

I totally agree, and again I'd be up for losing. It's something which needs to be put to bed once and for all.

Mine will not be a stripped out track car like Prawns. However, mine is quicker than Prawns on the road NOT stripped out anyway (or it was a few months back when they were last driven together). Prawns car now with the cage and the LSD is totally insane though, for grip and on the track its great. But he's driven it to work a couple of times and by the sounds of things it isn't much harder to drive anymore anyway.

So, will it be a run what you brung at Shakspeare or Japfest haha? We could always both get liquid gauges and film it?

Last edited:
I totally agree, and again I'd be up for losing. It's something which needs to be put to bed once and for all.

Mine will not be a stripped out track car like Prawns. However, mine is quicker than Prawns on the road NOT stripped out anyway (or it was a few months back when they were last driven together). Prawns car now with the cage and the LSD is totally insane though, for grip and on the track its great. But he's driven it to work a couple of times and by the sounds of things it isn't much harder to drive anymore anyway.

So, will it be a run what you brung at Shakspeare or Japfest haha? We could always both get liquid gauges and film it?

When is that? I need to give my car a good run first, since it's been parked up for a year, I've been using it daily since I got it started, which is unheard of! lol

When is that? I need to give my car a good run first, since it's been parked up for a year, I've been using it daily since I got it started, which is unheard of! lol

Boom - Shakespeare County Raceway £35 for unlimited runs over the weekend. AND the Saab and Volvo owners club will be there, thats an invitation which CANNOT be missed!

Lets make it a date! And basically if your break out times are close with your actual runs, you get cash prizes! Or if you crash and burn/have a huge engine problem and they deem you worthy you can get a prize for worst luck of the day and things. I went there one year with my dad in my old Ford Pop and we did a crazy 35 second quarter and got £75 which paid for the fuel there and back haha

I'd use it daily if it looked as good as yours does!

Last edited:
Don't you just love on tangent threads? :laugh:

Boom - Shakespeare County Raceway £35 for unlimited runs over the weekend. AND the Saab and Volvo owners club will be there, thats an invitation which CANNOT be missed!

Lets make it a date! And basically if your break out times are close with your actual runs, you get cash prizes! Or if you crash and burn/have a huge engine problem and they deem you worthy you can get a prize for worst luck of the day and things. I went there one year with my dad in my old Ford Pop and we did a crazy 35 second quarter and got £75 which paid for the fuel there and back haha

I'd use it daily if it looked as good as yours does!

This is just down the road from me! A week before Audi drivers aye? hmm.... would be bad to blow my car up a week before the main event! lol I will have to let you know nearer the time, it should be ok though. :)

i tell you what you keyboard warriors lol - lets go for a 1/2 mile race, i bet you i can go 1/2 mile AND come back quicker than you can do 1/2 mile lol

i tell you what you keyboard warriors lol - lets go for a 1/2 mile race, i bet you i can go 1/2 mile AND come back quicker than you can do 1/2 mile lol

Somebody with a bike said that to this geeza :superman:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Powelly and Inertiauk
Right well i've figured out 2 things this week, firstly if I switch the ignition on and let the pump prime before then turning it over, it then starts fine which made me think perhaps the pump was being a bit slow. I've also just had the car hooked up to VCDS, which showed that I have a faulty temp sender, so i'll pick one up and get that sorted. A big thanks to John (finesse) for spending his time and offering to hook the car up to his VCDS, very helpful guy and even did my "bleep on lock" and anti-hijack mods too, really appreciate that!

I've also picked up one of these ultrasonic cleaners (£25 in Maplins at the moment on offer) so will give my injectors a clean too in the next week.

Not sure how much it costs or how much bother it is to change the fuel pump, anybody done one before?

According to jojo that sound is not the fuel pump but the haldex?

The culprit:
16502/P0118/000280 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62): Signal too High

Possible Symptoms

• Difficulties with starting a cold engine.
  • Starting the engine when engine is warmish or warm, idle rpm immediately is 1200 - 3000 rpm.
  • RPM at idle is irregular.
  • With all engine temperatures idle rpm will often vary between 900 - 1000 rpm.
  • With engine warm (90 °C) the engine temperature suddenly drops (70 °C) and slowly comes back to 90 °C.
  • Bad acceleration during warm-up.
  • Diesel Engines: Glow plug indicator may be on for a longer than normal time or at ambient temperatures where it shouldn't come on at all.
Possible Causes

• The electrical signal coming from G62 is too low
  • Wiring and/or connections faulty (short circuit?)
  • Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check wiring and connections
  • Check / Replace Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)

Part number

06A 919 501 A

Last edited: