What's Leaking ??

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
While doing my n24n bypass today i noticed a couple hoses that are a bit oily :(

This one:

img2011090100346edit1.jpg

And this one at the front of the engine:

img2011090100363edit2.jpg

img2011090100366edit3.jpg

Should i be worried ?

mine are a lot worse, they are part of the PCV system. Maybe mine are leaking....?

Hmmm....

So do you guys think i could be getting boost leaks from them :(

Have you blocked off all the pipes and stuff you have ripped out? oil could be getting blown past from a split so its possible to have a boost and vac leak from these... they usually split...

Clean it up with brake cleaner or just remove it altogether

Plenty of guides for that on here... somewhere lol...

<tuffty/>

Have you blocked off all the pipes and stuff you have ripped out?

The only pipes ive ripped out are the n249 ones and that was when i saw the leaks.

anyone know how much they are from the stealers?

Yup last time i went in the bloke from the parts dep said thatl be £120+vat as now they dont sell them individual but as the hole pipe kit. I just bought a pipe repair kit from halfords and its done the job.

Hmmm....

So do you guys think i could be getting boost leaks from them :(

You will be, they plug into the inlet manifold eventually!

We stage 1 mapped our car at R-Tech and it made 204bhp and Nick said we had some serious boost leaks. We did a catch can and N249 bypass and ripped out the old hoses and now it logs 225bhp!

We got rid of these -

222612_10150270667555130_709735129_9310800_1246995_n.jpg

And made it look like this -

229763_10150282659650130_709735129_9445973_2775238_n.jpg

You will be, they plug into the inlet manifold eventually!

We did a catch can and N249 bypass and ripped out the old hoses and now it logs 225bhp!

Thanks mate ;)

Would i be loosing much with the leaks i have as it looks more like a bit of seepage ?

I've thought about fitting a catch can but a few thinks put me off.

1. I couldn't find any cheap 19mm hose that was oil resistant.

2. All the catch cans seem to have a a maximum 15mm inlet/outlet

3. I remember reading a guide , and it mentioned messing around the a brake hose , and i didn't like the idea of that.....lol

Do you think fitting one will solve my problem as looking at your picture, the hoses that are leaking on my don't seem to be touched?

Thanks mate ;)

Would i be loosing much with the leaks i have as it looks more like a bit of seepage ?

I've thought about fitting a catch can but a few thinks put me off.

1. I couldn't find any cheap 19mm hose that was oil resistant.

2. All the catch cans seem to have a a maximum 15mm inlet/outlet

3. I remember reading a guide , and it mentioned messing around the a brake hose , and i didn't like the idea of that.....lol

Do you think fitting one will solve my problem as looking at your picture, the hoses that are leaking on my don't seem to be touched?

They don't seem to be touched because they were completely removed.

I did my catch can using 19mm tubing off of Ebay, I managed to find some black hose at £6 a meter and I used two meters.

I bought a cheap (but not super cheap) £30 catch can which came with brackets and 15mm fittings.

I used the blue 17mm hoses pushed onto the ends of the catch can to space them up so the 19mm clamped down on them. (the catch can comes with 15mm internal with a 17mm external diameter hoses which are cheap transparent blue crap)

We didn't mess with the reverse valve for the brakes, we left that in place and just blocked the other outlet with a spark plug.

223595_10150270672530130_709735129_9310903_3786334_n.jpg

Read this thread - 1.8t - PCV simplification and catch can installation - uk-mkivs back to front three of four times. That will tell you everything you need to know, Prawn pretty much did ours for us but because I had read that thread I knew what he was doing every step of the way.

Last edited:
They don't seem to be touched because they were completely removed.

I did my catch can using 19mm tubing off of Ebay, I managed to find some black hose at £6 a meter and I used two meters.

I bought a cheap (but not super cheap) £30 catch can which came with brackets and 15mm fittings.

I used the blue 17mm hoses pushed onto the ends of the catch can to space them up so the 19mm clamped down on them. (the catch can comes with 15mm internal with a 17mm external diameter hoses which are cheap transparent blue crap)

We didn't mess with the reverse valve for the brakes, we left that in place and just blocked the other outlet with a spark plug.

Read this thread - 1.8t - PCV simplification and catch can installation - uk-mkivs back to front three of four times. That will tell you everything you need to know, Prawn pretty much did ours for us but because I had read that thread I knew what he was doing every step of the way.
Hmmm....

I'm thinking this should be my next mod.

In your picture showing everything you removed , is that EVERYTHING as i cant see the hose that's leaking in my first pic (i can see the one in my other pic) ?

You should do it :)

The first picture isn't part of the "active" PCV system I'm pretty sure.

Does anyone know what pipe that is in the first pic ?

@16Klappe

Isn't putting the can where you've put it going to be a pain in the a** when you need to get to the battery ?

@16Klappe

Isn't putting the can where you've put it going to be a pain in the a** when you need to get to the battery ?

Totally.

When was the last time you had to get to your battery though? We've never taken the cover off in years :p

Totally.

When was the last time you had to get to your battery though? We've never taken the cover off in years :p

Your dam quick with them replies......lol

Since my fuse incident , I need to take the cover off a lot to keep an eye on them. Also because i have a hid kit fitted , i need to take the cover off to be able to bet the bulb out.

I'm definitely going to fit a catch can but i think ill put it on the bulkhead ;)

img2011090100346edit1.jpg

I can't place where it is in your engine bay. Is the large guage pipe above and to the right of the one you have circled your MAF/Intake pipe??

In which case could it be part of your SAI?

Your dam quick with them replies......lol

Since my fuse incident , I need to take the cover off a lot to keep an eye on them. Also because i have a hid kit fitted , i need to take the cover off to be able to bet the bulb out.

I'm definitely going to fit a catch can but i think ill put it on the bulkhead ;)

I left this for the afternoon just to keep you on your toes.

Mount it where you like, we did ours there because it was easy haha. Send me a pic when it's done, I like to see progress :)

Good luck!

I can't place where it is in your engine bay. Is the large guage pipe above and to the right of the one you have circled your MAF/Intake pipe??

In which case could it be part of your SAI?

Here's another picture of it ;)

img2011061400040.jpg

I left this for the afternoon just to keep you on your toes.

Mount it where you like, we did ours there because it was easy haha. Send me a pic when it's done, I like to see progress :)

Good luck!

ok mate ill let you know how i get on ;)

Did it take long to do ?

Here's another picture of it ;)

img2011061400040.jpg

Yeah, think its part of the SAI, its the pipe that is going to the combi valve i think

Hows your fuel economy btw? Remember you posting that it was as low as 13 mpg or something similarly alarming. Has it improved after fidling about with the thermostat and CTS?

Last edited:
Yeah, think its part of the SAI, its the pipe that is going to the combi valve i think

Hows your fuel economy btw? Remember you posting that it was as low as 13 mpg or something similarly alarming. Has it improved after fidling about with the thermostat and CTS?

So a catch cans not going to sort that one out :(

Its about 20+ now I've changed everything ;)

So a catch cans not going to sort that one out :(

You never know, SAI doesn't do oil so its obviously coming from somewhere else and its not too far away from your rocker cover breather hoses. So your catch can might clear it all up

I've ordered a catch can so ill let you know how i get on ;)

I need to find another guide to fit it as i don't think the one on here was done on the aum engine so everything is back to front....lol

Have you got a link to the hose you bought?

19mm Rubber Marine Fuel Pipe Hose Oil & Fuel 1 Metre | eBay

Mr Silicone is great for pretty much every silicone hose you could want, and cheap too! You always get a little bit more than you actually needed.

Is that the same place that was selling it for £6 ?

From the pics you posted up.... It looks like the only other thing you needed was one T piece (and a sparkplug....lol). Didn't you need any L shaped fittings?