AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Lord Of The Rings

Status

Exclamation What's Leaking ??

While doing my n24n bypass today i noticed a couple hoses that are a bit oily

This one:

And this one at the front of the engine:

Should i be worried ?
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    mine are a lot worse, they are part of the PCV system. Maybe mine are leaking....?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

1st Gear

Status
    anyone know how much they are from the stealers?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Hmmm....

So do you guys think i could be getting boost leaks from them
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Have you blocked off all the pipes and stuff you have ripped out? oil could be getting blown past from a split so its possible to have a boost and vac leak from these... they usually split...

Clean it up with brake cleaner or just remove it altogether

Plenty of guides for that on here... somewhere lol...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Have you blocked off all the pipes and stuff you have ripped out?
    The only pipes ive ripped out are the n249 ones and that was when i saw the leaks.

Lord Of The Rings

Status

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by takworldwide View Post
    anyone know how much they are from the stealers?
    Yup last time i went in the bloke from the parts dep said thatl be £120+vat as now they dont sell them individual but as the hole pipe kit. I just bought a pipe repair kit from halfords and its done the job.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 T View Post
    Hmmm....

So do you guys think i could be getting boost leaks from them
    You will be, they plug into the inlet manifold eventually!

We stage 1 mapped our car at R-Tech and it made 204bhp and Nick said we had some serious boost leaks. We did a catch can and N249 bypass and ripped out the old hoses and now it logs 225bhp!

We got rid of these -

And made it look like this -

I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    You will be, they plug into the inlet manifold eventually!

We did a catch can and N249 bypass and ripped out the old hoses and now it logs 225bhp!
    Thanks mate

Would i be loosing much with the leaks i have as it looks more like a bit of seepage ?

I've thought about fitting a catch can but a few thinks put me off.

1. I couldn't find any cheap 19mm hose that was oil resistant.

2. All the catch cans seem to have a a maximum 15mm inlet/outlet

3. I remember reading a guide , and it mentioned messing around the a brake hose , and i didn't like the idea of that.....lol

Do you think fitting one will solve my problem as looking at your picture, the hoses that are leaking on my don't seem to be touched?

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Thanks mate

Would i be loosing much with the leaks i have as it looks more like a bit of seepage ?

I've thought about fitting a catch can but a few thinks put me off.

1. I couldn't find any cheap 19mm hose that was oil resistant.

2. All the catch cans seem to have a a maximum 15mm inlet/outlet

3. I remember reading a guide , and it mentioned messing around the a brake hose , and i didn't like the idea of that.....lol

Do you think fitting one will solve my problem as looking at your picture, the hoses that are leaking on my don't seem to be touched?
    They don't seem to be touched because they were completely removed.

I did my catch can using 19mm tubing off of Ebay, I managed to find some black hose at £6 a meter and I used two meters.

I bought a cheap (but not super cheap) £30 catch can which came with brackets and 15mm fittings.

I used the blue 17mm hoses pushed onto the ends of the catch can to space them up so the 19mm clamped down on them. (the catch can comes with 15mm internal with a 17mm external diameter hoses which are cheap transparent blue crap)

We didn't mess with the reverse valve for the brakes, we left that in place and just blocked the other outlet with a spark plug.

Read this thread - 1.8t - PCV simplification and catch can installation - uk-mkivs back to front three of four times. That will tell you everything you need to know, Prawn pretty much did ours for us but because I had read that thread I knew what he was doing every step of the way.
    Last edited by 16Klappe; 4th September 2011 at 11:00.

Then never do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    They don't seem to be touched because they were completely removed.

I did my catch can using 19mm tubing off of Ebay, I managed to find some black hose at £6 a meter and I used two meters.

I bought a cheap (but not super cheap) £30 catch can which came with brackets and 15mm fittings.

I used the blue 17mm hoses pushed onto the ends of the catch can to space them up so the 19mm clamped down on them. (the catch can comes with 15mm internal with a 17mm external diameter hoses which are cheap transparent blue crap)

We didn't mess with the reverse valve for the brakes, we left that in place and just blocked the other outlet with a spark plug.

Read this thread - 1.8t - PCV simplification and catch can installation - uk-mkivs back to front three of four times. That will tell you everything you need to know, Prawn pretty much did ours for us but because I had read that thread I knew what he was doing every step of the way.
    Hmmm....

I'm thinking this should be my next mod.

In your picture showing everything you removed , is that EVERYTHING as i cant see the hose that's leaking in my first pic (i can see the one in my other pic) ?

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

You should do it

The first picture isn't part of the "active" PCV system I'm pretty sure.

Then never do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Does anyone know what pipe that is in the first pic ?

@16Klappe

Isn't putting the can where you've put it going to be a pain in the a** when you need to get to the battery ?

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

@16Klappe

Isn't putting the can where you've put it going to be a pain in the a** when you need to get to the battery ?
    Totally.

When was the last time you had to get to your battery though? We've never taken the cover off in years

Then never do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Totally.

When was the last time you had to get to your battery though? We've never taken the cover off in years

Your dam quick with them replies......lol

Since my fuse incident , I need to take the cover off a lot to keep an eye on them. Also because i have a hid kit fitted , i need to take the cover off to be able to bet the bulb out.

I'm definitely going to fit a catch can but i think ill put it on the bulkhead

6th Gear

Status

I can't place where it is in your engine bay. Is the large guage pipe above and to the right of the one you have circled your MAF/Intake pipe??

In which case could it be part of your SAI?
    Alex S3 AMK

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Your dam quick with them replies......lol

Since my fuse incident , I need to take the cover off a lot to keep an eye on them. Also because i have a hid kit fitted , i need to take the cover off to be able to bet the bulb out.

I'm definitely going to fit a catch can but i think ill put it on the bulkhead
    I left this for the afternoon just to keep you on your toes.

Mount it where you like, we did ours there because it was easy haha. Send me a pic when it's done, I like to see progress

Good luck!

Then never do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
    I can't place where it is in your engine bay. Is the large guage pipe above and to the right of the one you have circled your MAF/Intake pipe??

In which case could it be part of your SAI?

Here's another picture of it

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I left this for the afternoon just to keep you on your toes.

Mount it where you like, we did ours there because it was easy haha. Send me a pic when it's done, I like to see progress

Good luck!

ok mate ill let you know how i get on

Did it take long to do ?

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

ok mate ill let you know how i get on

Did it take long to do ?
    It took Prawn about half an hour haha!

Then never do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    It took Prawn about half an hour haha!

So about 3 hours for me then ....lol

6th Gear

Status
    Here's another picture of it

Yeah, think its part of the SAI, its the pipe that is going to the combi valve i think

Hows your fuel economy btw? Remember you posting that it was as low as 13 mpg or something similarly alarming. Has it improved after fidling about with the thermostat and CTS?
    Last edited by Alex C; 6th September 2011 at 22:02.
    Alex S3 AMK

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
    Yeah, think its part of the SAI, its the pipe that is going to the combi valve i think

Hows your fuel economy btw? Remember you posting that it was as low as 13 mpg or something similarly alarming. Has it improved after fidling about with the thermostat and CTS?
    So a catch cans not going to sort that one out

Its about 20+ now I've changed everything

6th Gear

Status
    So a catch cans not going to sort that one out
    You never know, SAI doesn't do oil so its obviously coming from somewhere else and its not too far away from your rocker cover breather hoses. So your catch can might clear it all up
    Alex S3 AMK

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I've ordered a catch can so ill let you know how i get on

I need to find another guide to fit it as i don't think the one on here was done on the aum engine so everything is back to front....lol

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Have you got a link to the hose you bought?

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Have you got a link to the hose you bought?
    19mm Rubber Marine Fuel Pipe Hose Oil & Fuel 1 Metre | eBay

Mr Silicone is great for pretty much every silicone hose you could want, and cheap too! You always get a little bit more than you actually needed.

Then never do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    19mm Rubber Marine Fuel Pipe Hose Oil & Fuel 1 Metre | eBay

Mr Silicone is great for pretty much every silicone hose you could want, and cheap too! You always get a little bit more than you actually needed.
    Is that the same place that was selling it for £6 ?

From the pics you posted up.... It looks like the only other thing you needed was one T piece (and a sparkplug....lol). Didn't you need any L shaped fittings?

Lord Of The Rings

Status