Potential S3 Owner - A few questions gentlemen if you please?

I

imported_Stewart

HI there

I currently have a MK4 Golf GTi T :-
Check it out here
and here...

Good friend of mine is prepared to deal against my Golf for his immaculate 2001 S3 Facelift in black, with Bose Concert, Dimming Mirror (other options i have missed?). As his missus will be driving it mostly, he's not bothered about some of the mods on my Golf. Therefore im interested in swapping some of the mods across...

My questions are thus :-

1) My Golf has R32 front brakes fitted (with ECS tru float disks), seeing as the S3/TT 312mm front setup is a popular conversion for Golfs, is it safe to assume that the R32 brakes will bolt straight onto the S3?

2) Does the S3 have 256mm vented rears like the R32, 4-Motion and Anni?
Could i swap my 308mm solid ECS rears from the Golf to the S3?

3) I have a APR FMIC on my Golf, seeing as the facelift S3 had twin Side mounts (ala TT) would this be a worthwile upgrade?

4) I have noticed that the S3 stereo is quite wide, how do you go about fitting a standard DIN size unit in there?

5) Having H & R coilovers on the Golf, whilst outstanding in the handling dept, it is a very harsh ride, what are my options for lowering (on 8x18"'s) whilst still retaining a good level of comfort?

6) Has anyone on here had the IHI Jabba conversion done? Was just about to get this done on the Golf but then had a quiet word with myself! (no AWD)

7) Is there an advantage on chipped engines to fitting the N-75 'J' valve as there is on the chipped Golfs? I assume the S3 will have the 'F' revision as the TT?

8) What is the general opinion on CAI kits? i have one on the Golf which will be taken off regardless...

9) What is the PCD and recommended offset of the S3/A3 hub?

10) Further to Q9, i have some spare 8x18" (5 x 100) Fox premier 3's with 38mm offset, opinions on fitment and looks?
Check out my link above and look to the bottom of the pages for these wheels..
Any photochop gurus on here care to help a noob out and put them on a black S3? lol

Well, thats about it for now, must say im most impressed with the forum (and its members of course) so far. Keep up the good work guys!

Stew

1) yes they will fit.

2) yes the S3 has 256 rear discs.

3) debatable upgrade, but more than likely be worth it. The S3 has a different inlet and front bumper so you'd need to adjustthe piping and mounts.

4) Audi can supply you with spacers that fill the gaps left at the side when fitting an after market radio. They are about a tenner from the dealer. Also autoleads do a set, but they aren't as good quality.

5) You can lower S3's much any way. Any lower than about 15mm messes up the handling as far as I know.

6) A couple of people on here have had the IHI turbos fitted to thier cars. RichA3Turbo is the more notable. You can search for his posts about it on here, or ask him direct about it. His car is FWD and he uses racelogic traction control. AFAIK he seem to handle the power okay.

7) A few people have messed around with the N75s, seems to be a mixed bag, as some cause limp home for some people when the same valve won't on another car. Another one for the search I recon.

8) The general concensus on the CAI is that it will give you a nice sound and thats about it. As for the quality, yes its made well. Some people mention that the metal particles or oil from the various type can damage the MAF, but I am yet to here of someone having this problem.

9&10) The later S3's were available with 8x18" wheels from the factory as an option. These wheels had an ofset of ET33 PCD 5x100mm. so if you were to fit your wheels then they would sit 5mm further in than the recommended audi rims.
I couldn't tell you if they would rub or the looks, but there are others on this forum that would be able to take pics of there 18" rims for you I'm sure.

[ QUOTE ]

1) My Golf has R32 front brakes fitted (with ECS tru float disks), seeing as the S3/TT 312mm front setup is a popular conversion for Golfs, is it safe to assume that the R32 brakes will bolt straight onto the S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Does the S3 have 256mm vented rears like the R32, 4-Motion and Anni?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

Could i swap my 308mm solid ECS rears from the Golf to the S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...with the atching callipers (I think)
But why would you want to? Looks?

[ QUOTE ]

3) I have a APR FMIC on my Golf, seeing as the facelift S3 had twin Side mounts (ala TT) would this be a worthwile upgrade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it go?
Possibly...the bumper is a different shape, and the plumbing would be a nightmare...
Why not just sell it and get a S3 specific FMIC?
You'll probably have to run one (drivers side) SMIC anyway as there's little room for a large FMIC behind the S3 bumper.

The FMIC adds no power...but does pervent you losing it...it's worthwhile. A FMIC also heatsoakes less than the silly SMIC things.

[ QUOTE ]

4) I have noticed that the S3 stereo is quite wide, how do you go about fitting a standard DIN size unit in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can but an adaptor...

[ QUOTE ]

5) Having H & R coilovers on the Golf, whilst outstanding in the handling dept, it is a very harsh ride, what are my options for lowering (on 8x18"'s) whilst still retaining a good level of comfort?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want the best for road use, and don't want to mess about, fit:
H&R springs
Bilstein Sprint dampers
Forge adjustable rear tie bars
Neuspeed ARBs
and get the suspension set uop aggressively...you'll match Evos and STIs then.

this set up is both well controlled and complient...perfect for the road.

[ QUOTE ]

6) Has anyone on here had the IHI Jabba conversion done? Was just about to get this done on the Golf but then had a quiet word with myself! (no AWD)

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea...i'm sure someone will have.
Anyone?

[ QUOTE ]

7) Is there an advantage on chipped engines to fitting the N-75 'J' valve as there is on the chipped Golfs? I assume the S3 will have the 'F' revision as the TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
On a standard engine you'll get a gain...
On a chipped engine you will also see a gain, but also probably hit limp mode at times by running (spiking) too high a boost.
It's suck and see, i'm afraid.

Standard is the 'F' on the S3.

[ QUOTE ]

8) What is the general opinion on CAI kits? i have one on the Golf which will be taken off regardless...

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste of money...adds nothing but noise.
Standard airbox is good for 300BHP...stick with it....unless you need the 'bling'.

Add a cold air feed to the standard airbox...and be done. It just works.

[ QUOTE ]

9) What is the PCD and recommended offset of the S3/A3 hub?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 x 100...same as the Mk4 Golf.
Offset is 32 for 7.5 x 17s and 33 for 8.0 x 18s

[ QUOTE ]

10) Further to Q9, i have some spare 8x18" (5 x 100) Fox premier 3's with 38mm offset, opinions on fitment and looks?

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll fit...add 10mm spacers or 16mm spacers to fill the arches and widen the track a bit.
Ideally, 10mm front and 16mm rear would do the trick on ET 32/33 wheels..for yours you could go 16/16 or even 16/20 safely.

Hope this helps...

It might be a k04-01 which is basically the same as a k03s. Same fitment size etc.

Don't be confused with a k04-20 (or whatever the number is) that the s3 has.

Thanks for the replies guys! Very informative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nervus, yeah I might be mad and I will lose a shed load of money., but then again I have always modded cards and always been aware that the mod money is wasted to a large extent...
At the end of the day, my Golf is a '99 with 113k miles on it. The engine is as sweet as a nut tho and most everything else has been replaced but the fact remains that its high mileage, almost 6 years old...

Also, the biggest thing for me, its NOT 4-wheel drive (although ive contemplated a rear floor pan conversion lol)

Now to the crunch, what is my car worth do you think?

Also, my mate wants £15k (my car and £8k) for his MINT 2001 facelift (X plate with an S3 private plate), in black with 26k miles, FASH, Full black leather, auto dimming mirrors, BOSE upgrade...

Is this a good deal?