Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23

    audi a3 1.8 turbo remapped now clutch slip :(

    hi i got my audi a3 99 1.8 turbo remapped and now soon as the power comes in the clutch slips any ideas??? didnt slip 1 bit bfor i had the remappe done and does any1 no if its a 3 part clutch in these or a dual mass 4 part

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    666markyboy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oldham, Manchester
    Posts
    1,110
    Quite common straight after a remap... it's all that extra power your putting through it ... it's probably the origional clutch and as such i would omagine it's still a dual mass
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    do you no what clutch i have to put in and where to get it from and thanks for your reply

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    just i phoned a parts place up give them my reg and they give me a choice for 2 diff clutches lol

  6. #5
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    5,083

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    The clutch you need is an ABF flywheel with a VR6 clutch.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    would it not be ok just to replace the standard clutch?

  8. #7
    sportquattro's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ivybridge, United Kingdom
    Posts
    742
    Standard clutch should be fine but as above a good mod is the VR6 flywheel etc
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

    1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

  9. #8
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    5,083

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybee11 View Post
    would it not be ok just to replace the standard clutch?
    Doing away with the dual mass and going for a lighter single mass with a VR6 will handle a lot more power, help the engine spin up quicker and give a much nicer feel. It's cheaper than a new dual mass system too.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Doing away with the dual mass and going for a lighter single mass with a VR6 will handle a lot more power, help the engine spin up quicker and give a much nicer feel. It's cheaper than a new dual mass system too.
    i dunno where to purchase these have you a link so i could purchase lol

  11. #10
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,388
    go to VW, ask them for a flywheel from an ABF 2.0 16v mk3 golf engine, and the bolts to bolt it up. then ask them for a clutch from a AAA 2.8 VR6 mk3 golf engine.

    Hand over around £280, take bits home.

    Fit to A3, be happy forever more
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  12. #11
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    5,083

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    go to VW, ask them for a flywheel from an ABF 2.0 16v mk3 golf engine, and the bolts to bolt it up. then ask them for a clutch from a AAA 2.8 VR6 mk3 golf engine.

    Hand over around £280, take bits home.

    Fit to A3, be happy forever more

    [/thread]
    Edited for accuracy.

    x
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  13. #12
    camscockle20vT's Avatar
    The stigs ugly brother

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,673
    Or buy a single mass flywheel and clutch conversion from any good car parts specialist ie. Gsf, carspares, euro parts. Was cheaper than just the clutch for the dual mass alone. No extra cost to fit and its balanced all on the flywheel, which my mechanic said he was impressed with. Good luck in whatever choice you make dude.

  14. #13
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    5,083

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by camscockle20vT View Post
    Or buy a single mass flywheel and clutch conversion from any good car parts specialist ie. Gsf, carspares, euro parts. Was cheaper than just the clutch for the dual mass alone. No extra cost to fit and its balanced all on the flywheel, which my mechanic said he was impressed with. Good luck in whatever choice you make dude.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    go to VW, ask them for a flywheel from an ABF 2.0 16v mk3 golf engine, and the bolts to bolt it up. then ask them for a clutch from a AAA 2.8 VR6 mk3 golf engine.

    Hand over around £280, take bits home.

    Fit to A3, be happy forever more
    cheers mate

  16. #15
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,388
    Quote Originally Posted by camscockle20vT View Post
    Or buy a single mass flywheel and clutch conversion from any good car parts specialist ie. Gsf, carspares, euro parts. Was cheaper than just the clutch for the dual mass alone. No extra cost to fit and its balanced all on the flywheel, which my mechanic said he was impressed with. Good luck in whatever choice you make dude.
    I'm going to be honest, I'd advise against these myself!

    The amount of PM's I get about people with these, who have problems. They seem like a good idea, but in practise, I reckon they're ****e.

    What flywheel do they use? what clutch do they use?

    It seems that they're cheap to buy, and easy to fit, but many people complain of judder, some have got them to slip as well.

    What clutch do you buy when it needs replacing? They don't seem to be using a VR6 clutch, and it's not a standard A3 clutch, so it's all a bit of a grey area I reckon.....

    Sure, it might be £100 cheaper up front here and now, but in the long run I don't reckon they're a great idea at all.

    Stick to the wonders of the VAG parts bin, and you can't go far wrong. You can get replacement parts anywhere in the world, and they're always going to be available too. If ECP / GSF don't sell many kits, they might stop making them, then you'd be buggered!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  17. #16
    Dani_B19's Avatar
    Audi-sports own special child.

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    7,235
    Wish it was that simple and cheap for the s3 .
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    I'm going to be honest, I'd advise against these myself!

    The amount of PM's I get about people with these, who have problems. They seem like a good idea, but in practise, I reckon they're ****e.

    What flywheel do they use? what clutch do they use?

    It seems that they're cheap to buy, and easy to fit, but many people complain of judder, some have got them to slip as well.

    What clutch do you buy when it needs replacing? They don't seem to be using a VR6 clutch, and it's not a standard A3 clutch, so it's all a bit of a grey area I reckon.....

    Sure, it might be £100 cheaper up front here and now, but in the long run I don't reckon they're a great idea at all.

    Stick to the wonders of the VAG parts bin, and you can't go far wrong. You can get replacement parts anywhere in the world, and they're always going to be available too. If ECP / GSF don't sell many kits, they might stop making them, then you'd be buggered!
    im confused now lol so which 1 do u think i should get?

  19. #18
    camscockle20vT's Avatar
    The stigs ugly brother

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,673
    Yeh i agree with prawn on the fact not everone has great success, but i bought mine from carspares and havent had a problem. As for replacing clutch, i wouldnt be worried as like wev agreed there cheap and id replace the whole unit for the price. I would of thought that unless your going down the route of 240bhp+ then i think the vr6 clutch and g60 fly is abit much. But im a novice and just adding abit of my good exsperiance SO FAR lol like i said, good luck in your choice.

  20. #19
    camscockle20vT's Avatar
    The stigs ugly brother

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Wish it was that simple and cheap for the s3 .
    Lol why is it not the case with the s3? Is it due to the quattro system? I wonder as i want a a4 quattro next year

  21. #20
    camscockle20vT's Avatar
    The stigs ugly brother

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    I'm going to be honest, I'd advise against these myself!

    The amount of PM's I get about people with these, who have problems. They seem like a good idea, but in practise, I reckon they're ****e.

    What flywheel do they use? what clutch do they use?

    It seems that they're cheap to buy, and easy to fit, but many people complain of judder, some have got them to slip as well.

    What clutch do you buy when it needs replacing? They don't seem to be using a VR6 clutch, and it's not a standard A3 clutch, so it's all a bit of a grey area I reckon.....

    Sure, it might be £100 cheaper up front here and now, but in the long run I don't reckon they're a great idea at all.

    Stick to the wonders of the VAG parts bin, and you can't go far wrong. You can get replacement parts anywhere in the world, and they're always going to be available too. If ECP / GSF don't sell many kits, they might stop making them, then you'd be buggered!
    Didnt notice the point of them not making them anymore, and have to agree that is somthing that may occure, but hope fully if the clutch lasts 20k then its a matter for the new owner lol what is the life expectancy of one of my kits?

  22. #21
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by camscockle20vT View Post
    Yeh i agree with prawn on the fact not everone has great success, but i bought mine from carspares and havent had a problem. As for replacing clutch, i wouldnt be worried as like wev agreed there cheap and id replace the whole unit for the price. I would of thought that unless your going down the route of 240bhp+ then i think the vr6 clutch and g60 fly is abit much. But im a novice and just adding abit of my good exsperiance SO FAR lol like i said, good luck in your choice.
    what clutch did u put in yours??

  23. #22
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    has any1 got a link to which clutch i should go for???

  24. #23
    Suck.Squeeze.Bang.Blow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Madchester
    Posts
    228
    I'm running a Motech remap and have a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch as this came on the car already and it handles the power really well and drives very smooth, power delivery is very smooth and constant!

  25. #24
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23

  26. #25
    Suck.Squeeze.Bang.Blow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Madchester
    Posts
    228
    If i'm not mistaken mate then yeah that seems to be the one to go for!

  27. #26
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    hope so lol sick of the slipping now

  28. #27
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,388
    the link above is correct, assuming they're all genuine parts that's a stupidly good price!

    Definitely go for the VR6 / ABF setup though rather than a cheap alternative, it's just not worth the risk to try and save £100 in my opinion.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  29. #28
    666markyboy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oldham, Manchester
    Posts
    1,110
    So would this setup suit a Quattro ??? i note earlier somone saying it's not as simple for the S3 but the TQS seems to be a bit of a hybrid between A3 and S3 any ideas ??? i'm coming close to 130,000 miles now on the origional clutch and although everything is standard if i decide to keep the car much longer this is going to be one of the jobs that needs doing soon
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

  30. #29
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybee11 View Post
    hi i got my audi a3 99 1.8 turbo remapped and now soon as the power comes in the clutch slips any ideas??? didnt slip 1 bit bfor i had the remappe done and does any1 no if its a 3 part clutch in these or a dual mass 4 part
    tired stock clutch then.. unlucky dude.

    more power more torque after remap is why its shown the clutch to be weak now.

    remember you likely have another 50-70lbft torque than before
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  31. #30
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    15,390
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    So would this setup suit a Quattro ??? i note earlier somone saying it's not as simple for the S3 but the TQS seems to be a bit of a hybrid between A3 and S3 any ideas ??? i'm coming close to 130,000 miles now on the origional clutch and although everything is standard if i decide to keep the car much longer this is going to be one of the jobs that needs doing soon
    The S3 has a larger clutch from the factory, and from what i can see on ETKA, the TQS uses the same 240mm clutch as the S3.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  32. #31
    camscockle20vT's Avatar
    The stigs ugly brother

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybee11 View Post
    what clutch did u put in yours??
    Hi mate i went for the carparts solid clutch conversion, the box was green and had the logo aurova on it and a sticker saying golf gttdi. Iv had no problems thus far, but id of bought that g60 fly and vr6 for that kind of money tbf. Can anyone tell me why the kit iv got would be all one peice, balanced on the flywheel?

  33. #32
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    5,083

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by camscockle20vT View Post
    Hi mate i went for the carparts solid clutch conversion, the box was green and had the logo aurova on it and a sticker saying golf gttdi. Iv had no problems thus far, but id of bought that g60 fly and vr6 for that kind of money tbf. Can anyone tell me why the kit iv got would be all one peice, balanced on the flywheel?
    Traditionally speaking before dual mass crap came along all flywheels were balanced to a matched pressure plate, the pressure plates and flywheels are made so precise now that they are pre balanced at the factory and do not need paring. I say that, everything can be improved on though, and a professionally balanced and lightened flywheel WILL be an improvement.
    Last edited by 16Klappe; 30th August 2011 at 13:16.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  34. #33
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    cheers for help every1

  35. #34
    camscockle20vT's Avatar
    The stigs ugly brother

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Traditionally speaking before dual mass crap came along all flywheels were balanced to a matched pressure plate, the pressure plates and flywheels are made so precise now that they are pre balanced at the factory and do not need paring. I say that, everything can be improved on though, and a professionally balanced and lightened flywheel WILL be an improvement.
    Thanks for the info dude.

  36. #35
    Suck.Squeeze.Bang.Blow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Madchester
    Posts
    228
    Welcome fella, just means you'll be able to help newbies in time to come with the knowledge you gather from being a newbie on here too

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO