Bilstein B8s & Eibach Springs

sportquattro

Reaction score
Well the good old S3 has shat on me again, 2 broken rear spings and a perished vaccum hose to the brake servo, such are the joys of a 11 year old 100,000 mile S3.

Rather than just replace the 2 rear springs it seemd pointless not to upgrade the whole suspension, so a phonecall to DPM Perfomance at 15:00 yesterday resulted in a nice set of Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach spings arriving today at 10:00 thats pretty awesome service from DPM Performance so mightily impressed here.

Hoping to fit them myself next Saturday, does anyone on the forum have any hints tips or suggestions as to potential pitfalls to watch out for or nifty tricks of the trade. Are the any other bits that I should replace as a matter of course? Top Mounts for example?

Any advice welcome, particularly if it doesnt involve my having to spend any more on expensive parts.

Thanks in advance

Nige

Last edited:
Remember to undo the headlamp level sensors for both the front and back, they are both on the passenger side. Whilst the front suspension is off, I recommend you change both strut tops and bearings, the kits are around £25 from ECP/GSF, you might want to consider lowering spring plates/cups also for the fronts for an additional 10mm drop, as the Eibachs don't seem to drop the fronts much, but they ride very nicely.

Excellent choice. I also have the B8's with Eibach springs, it is a good upgrade for the S3 . Still comfortable with good handling.

Think you need a deep 17 or 19 mm spanner / socket that you can get a allen key through. I purchased a socket and ground 2 flats on it so it could be hled by a spanner then use the allen key through the top. (thats for the front).

Rears are easy might only take 1 hr to complete both sides.

Fronts are straight forward if you have done simular before, might be worth spraying everything with wd40 now so its well soaked for when you do the job.

Did it set you back much Nige?. this is something ill be looking into in the near future, Youll have to take me for a spin through the twisties.

Use loads for WD40 on those front hubs and a short bit of pipe that you can hammer on to. What Eibach springs did you go for 30mm or 50mm ones?

Did it set you back much Nige?. this is something ill be looking into in the near future, Youll have to take me for a spin through the twisties.

Hi Callum

They were £639.95 delivered from DPM Performance, ordered them Friday at about 15:30 and they arrived 10:00 the next day. Will gladly take you for a spin when fitted buddy, I've still, got to send you the ETKA DVD and whilst I think of it i've bought an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my injectors, so if you want to do yours at the same time let me know and we can arrange a time mate.

Cheers
Nige

Is the standard suspension on the S3 really poor? alot of people seem to be upgrading

^^ Not that poor, just getting tired as most are around 10years old now.

We'll definatly have to catch up at some point when were both free Nige.