Audi A3 1.8T Ko3 swap to Ko3s or Ko4?

Paul2011*A3*

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this so please don't tell at me :O.

I'm thinking about upgrading the turbo on my 1.8. I was first thinking of buying a Ko4 turbo from eBay and putting that in but somone said on a diffrent fourm (Not Audi-sport.net) that I would need to upgrade a few things, sorry for not making this easy...

But the same guy said if I buy a Ko3s and replace it with my Ko3 my car would kick out 220 bhp.

It's an Audi A3 1.8T 20 valve.

Many thanks

I believe that it's a straight swap but you will need the ecu mapped to suit

ye its an easy swap KO3toKO3s, no upt you will need a new map, no upgrades needed and you should see 220 but you will need a new map

just for the record, if you swap a KO3 for a KO3s will it work without a new map??

I didn't personally do the swap from KO3 to KO3s but I believe its just a straight swap, you may need a KO3s TIP?

Regarding the map, I imagine you won't see much of a gain without getting it mapped as fuel/air mixture will be incorrect.

I didn't personally do the swap from KO3 to KO3s but I believe its just a straight swap, you may need a KO3s TIP?

Regarding the map, I imagine you won't see much of a gain without getting it mapped as fuel/air mixture will be incorrect.

im not meaning will there be a gain but just will ti run as normal?

I swapped my ko3 for a ko3s, all you actually need is a new turbo and map to make it work, I ran my original REVO stage 1 map with it for a while and it ran ok.there was plenty of flatspots and it wasn't perfect but it ran ok, if you want to make the most of it and get 230bhp you need 3" downpipe, decat, decent exhaust, upgraded BOV, filter and upgraded suspension and brakes and a custom map then it will fly..... but you can survive without these.... hope this helps!

Swap to a ko3s is straight swap to get 230-240bhp you will need down pipe full exhaust system,forge 007p dv not bov also a silicone tip
And a stage 2 custom map

Thanks for the much needed info!

But I am confused about the exhaust, What is a downcat? One more thing upgraded suspension won't that cost a bomb?.

Many thanks.

Hi you didn't say what year your A3 was as facelift ones with engine code AUM already come with a k03s, part number k03-052 or k03-053. A downpie is the bit of exhaust that bolts on to the back of the turbo.

So that means I can still do the swap and stage 1 remap or stage 2 custom map?.

Thanks for your help!

Btw how do you know the engine codes?

BAM AGU AGY etc. could you please teach me?.

Many thanks.

Take the black engine cover off and where the left clip that held it on nearest to you was you will see it stamped there