Oooo, I just lurve torque..

noodle

Reaction score
I've been driving a new A3 2.0l TDI Sportback for the last few days, as mines been back in the garage (under warranty still - thank god!) having a few minor niggles looked at (squeaky seat being one).

I was seriously surprised by how responsive the TDI was.

It took a little bit to get going, from a start, but once it was going it was really nice to drive. I just love the low down torque it was delivering. I was always comparing back to my S3, thinking how whould mine be comparing now, and in a few instances I think the TDI would have matched it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I was really liking the fact that you can be sitting doing about 40/50, plant your foot and be nicely surprised how quickly 70/80/90(kph) came around, without all the flapping about changing gears, like in the S3. I'm a converted Torque freak!

I know, before I get shot down, the S3 is a completely different car, but I can't believe how much I enjoyed the past few days.

However, after all is said and done, when I got home last night and the S3 was sitting on the drive lovely and clean, and after getting back into it this morning, I wouldn't swap it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So the question is, How do I get mine feeling similiar, low down in the rev range ????

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

Happy days.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Put a derv engine in it, lol, yeah i know what u mean when the torque sucks u back into the seat, its great, i luv mine and with that extra grip with the quattro , bring it on, lol!!

cant wait till i get mine chipped to 190bhp with 320lb of torque!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've been driving a new A3 2.0l TDI Sportback for the last few days, as mines been back in the garage (under warranty still - thank god!) having a few minor niggles looked at (squeaky seat being one).

I was seriously surprised by how responsive the TDI was.

It took a little bit to get going, from a start, but once it was going it was really nice to drive. I just love the low down torque it was delivering. I was always comparing back to my S3, thinking how whould mine be comparing now, and in a few instances I think the TDI would have matched it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I was really liking the fact that you can be sitting doing about 40/50, plant your foot and be nicely surprised how quickly 70/80/90(kph) came around, without all the flapping about changing gears, like in the S3. I'm a converted Torque freak!

I know, before I get shot down, the S3 is a completely different car, but I can't believe how much I enjoyed the past few days.

However, after all is said and done, when I got home last night and the S3 was sitting on the drive lovely and clean, and after getting back into it this morning, I wouldn't swap it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So the question is, How do I get mine feeling similiar, low down in the rev range ????

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

Happy days.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get your S3 Chipped! This will give you loads more torque.

Honestly, it will make a huge difference!

Rich.

I also had a 2.0 Tdi when my S3 was in for some work. I felt the same way as you, very very impressed with it. Managed to get a lot of wheelspin from it (never had that issue in the S3!) but I really liked the car and it felt very quick. Was almost worried that when I got the S3 back I would be disappointed, but then I floored it in 2nd at 3k and remembered why I bought one. Pretty sure that if I was doing a lot of miles or ever got myself a TVR I would consider swapping but until then I am very happy with my choice and will keep saving for a remap.

[ QUOTE ]
Go get yourself a Revo 5 hour trial, I guarantee you will be chipped after the experience.

A

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a must /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif It will make a huge differance

I've heard a few 'stories' about the car not reverting back to normal after the Revo trial and other companies, such as AmD (I think) have refused to work on them after the trial, in some circumstances.

Not wanting to turn this thread into a 'Who's the best tuner', but I'm a bit wary of Revo's trial.

It sounds like chipping IS the best option though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Damn, I was hoping that wasn't going to be the answer. Really can't afford it at the moment!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i used to have a chipped golf tdil 300lb ft of torque was great fun!
need revo in the s3 now!

Only problem for me with diesels is the redline of 4.5k rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Noodle

You need to drive a chipped S3 buddy! Get yourself along to a meet and blag a ride!

I don't think I could go back to a standard S3 now! They are too slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Taking the tread away from chipping and back to diesels (as I want to chip mine, but can't justify the spending the cash at the moment). I had a Cupra pushing me on a long winding sliproad the other day. It wasn't till the long fast sweeping bend he had to back off, guessing he lacked front end grip. I later noticed it was TDI! (all letters in red) What bhp would it be, assuming it wasn't chipped?

Noodle you need a chip fella.......you can't explain the feeling you get when you first drive your car after it being chipped, except WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for there being nothing above 5K, well that's true in standrad form but after the chip (Certainly in my caes) it pulls all the way to the red line!

JUST DO IT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for the interest fellas.

Looks like it's fairly conclusive.

Chips with everything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

have a little fishy on a little dishy, have a little fishy when the chips roll in!!

Ouch!

Just spoken to Oettinger.

The guy was new and I don't think he had much idea, but they apparently now offer 2 options:

225 -> 250Bhp @ 995+vat
or
225 -> 265 @ 1874 inc Vat

Anybody know why they are so much more expensive??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch!

Just spoken to Oettinger.

The guy was new and I don't think he had much idea, but they apparently now offer 2 options:

225 -> 250Bhp @ 995+vat
or
225 -> 265 @ 1874 inc Vat

Anybody know why they are so much more expensive??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They are having a giraffe! £1874 for 265 bhp i dont think so!!! Maybe the extra money is for the warranty. I'd go AmD/Revo/Jabba and keep the £1300 incase something does go wrong.

Noodle,

Ask to speak to Dan at RSD, and get the facts which he will give you, tell hime the folks from AS sent you and me with my Dutch A3T that he chipped and then ran 0-60 in 6.49 three days later.

Daniel.

[ QUOTE ]
Noodle,
Ask to speak to Dan at RSD, and get the facts which he will give you, tell hime the folks from AS sent you and me with my Dutch A3T that he chipped and then ran 0-60 in 6.49 three days later.
Daniel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Daniel.
What in your opinion set's Oettinger apart from the rest? What is their unique selling point, to justify charging twice as much as others??

I wouldn't say I can justify the money when compared to others, as I haven't spent the money on other chips and then driven them for prolonged periods.....BUT......

The Oettinger map for me felt like factory, but better smooth progressive with the torque nicely spread and pulls all the way to the red line. I wanted something different to the 'crowd' and knew only one person that had an Oettinger map, where as Revo and AmD are ten to the dozen IMO. I didn't go for Jabba because I didn't like the thought of them (Strange I know) as they didn't fit into the brand image of the Audi in my eyes.....yes I'm odd......but don't rule them out as I have used them for servicing and repairs just after the new year and know they know their stuff.

I like the Oettinger badge on the back of my car and the very subtle stickers on the doors, and for me it came down to ABT or Oettinger, but Oettinger had the better figures and the longer history of tuning VAG's.

When I was looking Oettinger had the lowest power gains out of I think all of the major tuners, but one of the highest torque figures, which suggested to me that they weren't focussed on the people who care about the 'my car has X bhp'but more on actual usuable performance and honest about the figures.....which some other tuners I find quote a little high.

The Oettinger map proved itself 3 days after I had it done on the 1/4 beating Rich's car which at the time was identical (All except wheels) to mine except for the map.

It's all a matter of choice, and the above is from my little quirky world! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say I can justify the money when compared to others, as I haven't spent the money on other chips and then driven them for prolonged periods.....BUT......

The Oettinger map for me felt like factory, but better smooth progressive with the torque nicely spread and pulls all the way to the red line. I wanted something different to the 'crowd' and knew only one person that had an Oettinger map, where as Revo and AmD are ten to the dozen IMO. I didn't go for Jabba because I didn't like the thought of them (Strange I know) as they didn't fit into the brand image of the Audi in my eyes.....yes I'm odd......but don't rule them out as I have used them for servicing and repairs just after the new year and know they know their stuff.

I like the Oettinger badge on the back of my car and the very subtle stickers on the doors, and for me it came down to ABT or Oettinger, but Oettinger had the better figures and the longer history of tuning VAG's.

When I was looking Oettinger had the lowest power gains out of I think all of the major tuners, but one of the highest torque figures, which suggested to me that they weren't focussed on the people who care about the 'my car has X bhp'but more on actual usuable performance and honest about the figures.....which some other tuners I find quote a little high.

The Oettinger map proved itself 3 days after I had it done on the 1/4 beating Rich's car which at the time was identical (All except wheels) to mine except for the map.

It's all a matter of choice, and the above is from my little quirky world! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And you had a ****** turbo to show for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And you had a ****** turbo to show for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nought to do with the map...it's just i can't help ragging the car and not letting it cool down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I wasn't made for turbo'd cars, so a NA 6 cylinder is what it'll be next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif