Help! Does know anything about Headlight Ballasts? (With Pics)

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any help would much appreciated if possible. Basically this bit of my headlight connection has melted through and obviously doesn't work anymore on my headlight.... (The connector to the xenon lamp)

photo2ikq.jpg

I have managed to source a new headlight with all the connections - BUT apparently the ballast (the metal ecu box type thing) on this pic

DSC01131.jpg

may be broken or it could be the bulb itself. The seller isn't sure which doesn't help and can't test it. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out my connector (which has melted) to his connector which hasn't melted. Can't work out from the pic above if the wire from the metal box unscrews or pulls out?!

My ballast works perfectly you see.... Presumably ballast's and transferable from headlight to headlight?

Anyone ever done it before? Thanks - nothings ever easy is it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure to be honest - opened it after it said the bulb had blown 2 weeks ago thinking it would be an easy bulb change to find the above connector had melted into the bulb! Smell of burnt plastic everywhere even burnt the plastic which holds the bulb around it!

To be honest I've known that side not to come on maybe 3 or 4 over the past 2 years - after switching it on and off a couple of times it would always fire back up - very random. Presumably that points to a dodgy ballast?

So does anyone have any idea if the xenon connector (in my first pic) wire that goes into the ballast (metal box) simply pulls out at all or not?

undo the screws and have a look?

id imagine its like youd find behind a socket plug. but you'll never know until you try bud

undo the screws and have a look?

id imagine its like youd find behind a socket plug. but you'll never know until you try bud

Cheers I would if I could buddy. I don't actually have the ballast available to try mate - got that second pic from the internet it's not mine.

I'd have to take my bumper off and get to the headlight and dismantle it (which I've never done before) to get to it so kinda wanted to see if anyone knows at all before I try and do all that and probably find out you can't lol! Yeah pain the butt eh!

I would take the red housing apart on yours as it appears to be clicked together, see if you can take the housing apart from the connectors as they wont be damaged from what I can see, if you can then you have your solution, job done :)

I would as a precaution undo the screws of yours & check the wiring to make sure its ok inside, be very careful playing with these units if any capacitors inside, they can hold a charge still that could be very harmful, very!!!

I work on vehicle electrical systems everyday as im an electrical rectifer for BMW/MINI, and looking at the plug it has no retaining clips, which means it wont need de pinning to remove it. should be a simple job of un-clipping the outer casing, pushing in some (maybe 4) locking tabs on the metal circular part you see and pulling it out.

if you were anywhere close to me, (oxford) id have a go for you

Cheers guys - yeah it looks like the connector may come apart with the tabs. Although the centre connector looks burnt out to me as well which is part of the dark plastic bit which may need replacing as well.

Starting to think it may be better I just replace the whole ballast as well now as I'd be pretty gutted if it happened again if it was something to do with my ballast.... Plus you're right NHN don't fancy the idea of tinkering around with that box with the current it can potentially hold! :uhm:

had a search and i cant seem to find anywhere you can purchase a new plug from...you may have to get whole unit from audi.

not sure....unless youve already sourced one

Thanks guys - no basically I've sourced a headlight but it doesn't work. Seller isn't sure if it's the bulb or the ballast at fault (obviously the bulb would be ideal) but not sure I want to risk it in case it's the ballast.... So annoying as the headlight looks in good condition. (mines gone a weird kinda orange colour from where it's been smoking inside I think) They're like hens teeth or £350 new which I don't have the funds for obviously... :(

If I knew the wire from the ballast (metal box) could simply be unscrewed/pulled off the ballast then I'd risk it...

well, you could...email the seller asking how he/she removed it. usually happy to help.

just explain your interested in buying it, but unsure on how to change it over?

Cheers yeah have asked the question but they're not really sure and can't test it. :(