well - looks like the s3 will be going in a few months.....rs4

C

colicabcadam

i have managed to bag a job that pays really well

i like the s3, but as most of you do, i desire more power and umph, upgrading the s3 in my eyes is not practical

i am interested in an 2001 rs4 / 2002 rs6, the new rs6 is out of my price range and the new rs4 just isn't tunable enough as it is NA.

does anyone have any opinions, i really like manual cars, sadly the 4.2tt rs6 is an automatic :0(, there's not much difference in cost between the 2 cars though - am i being silly for favouring the 2.7tt rs4 because it has a manual gearbox?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Inertiauk
No gearbox problem on B5 RS4 just camshaft degradation issues

RS6 can be run if you have bulletproof warranty only

+1 for the RS4. We've had countless rs6's coming in with gearbox and drc valve problems

As long as the water pump, turbo's and cams have been done on the RS4 that'd be my choice.

I say that'd be my choice, if I had my choice and that sort of money I'd have an RS2. But sheep will be sheep...:sly:

eurp_1001_02_o+1995_audi_rs2_avant+front.jpg

Oh, congrats on the job too btw. A rare thing these days!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong at all favourting the manual. It's a more involving drive and less complicated so less likley to go wrong and cost £££. Although I've never driven a DSG car, I don't really want to. Driven a 535 with the paddles and its quite ****e tbh. Congrats on the job too!

Nothing wrong at all favourting the manual. It's a more involving drive and less complicated so less likley to go wrong and cost £££. Although I've never driven a DSG car, I don't really want to. Driven a 535 with the paddles and its quite ****e tbh. Congrats on the job too!

I've driven a new S3 with DSG in anger, it was ****.

"Newer RS4 isn't tunable" lol its rapid enough it doesn't need tuning imho

RS4 is nice, how about the B5 S4??

Thats turbo'd and fairly tunable??

Congrats on the job too mate, sounds awesome...anymore, give me a shout :)

I too would go for a b7 rs4... Don't see why it would need to quicker than standard form...

I remember see one on the m25, and I didn't have a chance.

As long as the water pump, turbo's and cams have been done on the RS4 that'd be my choice.

I say that'd be my choice, if I had my choice and that sort of money I'd have an RS2. But sheep will be sheep...:sly:

eurp_1001_02_o+1995_audi_rs2_avant+front.jpg

Oh, congrats on the job too btw. A rare thing these days!

Yeah but then you would have to be plain mental buying an rs2...

It's a well known fact that NA is for girls ;) :laugh:

nice opinions - in terms of power there are b5 rs4's out there already tuned with turbos, intercoolers, exhaust systems etc going for £14,000 - some of these produce over 520bhp

the new rs4 is flat, nothing can be done to it unless you spend huge amounts of money, i'm not saying it is slow, but in terms of gaining more power from it it would be expensive, i do like the look of it, it's sex on wheels - oh i dunno

from what you've said about the rs6 - i think i will avoid that now, the automatic put me off big time, but being told that they have problems defo pushed me towards the rs4

the rs2 is a great car, but it's interior does not impress me, also a 5l 2.2t does not have the tuning potential of a v6 2.7tt

defo not interested in an s4, i want an rs series lol

i welcome more opinions in terms of rs4 b5 vs rs4 b7

thanks for the congrats on the job, kind of chuffed will prob look into sorting this out just after christmas, my mate will buy my s3 as he knows i've looked after it and put it right!

What's the
budget
purpose - daily commute, weekend toy, posing
Children?

The B7 is not flat, there is kick/boost at 5k revs

I love the recaros in the RS2, and I think yoiu'll find there's plenty of tuning potential for the 2.2 turbo inline 5 aswell, but I'd still have the B5 RS4 over it, although the RS2 pictured in this thread is ruined IMO by being resprayed white and having the wheels changed, thats just wrong!

Well done on the job, just remember its one thing to have the money to buy an RS model, its also having the money to run one you need to consider.

Nah can't beat proper v8 power, **** poxy turbos. V8 gives you constant power all the time.

i hear you, i like instant power, that's why i love my ktm, i think i will have to drive one to find out to be honest

What's the
budget
purpose - daily commute, weekend toy, posing
Children?

The B7 is not flat, there is kick/boost at 5k revs

the most i'd spend would be £18,000, but that would be the absolute limit!!!! i'd be more happy spending £14,000
the odd commute (5 miles), weekend and evening use, not interested in posing, although the b7 would be for that lol, children, nope.

5cylinder 2.2t not as tuneable as the v6 tt?!

LOL

there's another cylinder in the v6, another 500cc and an additional turbo - that's my logic behind it - can you even twin turbo a 5 cylinder engine? i suppose you could with some pipe work, but the rs2 is not for me, it's too dated inside

I love the recaros in the RS2, and I think yoiu'll find there's plenty of tuning potential for the 2.2 turbo inline 5 aswell, but I'd still have the B5 RS4 over it, although the RS2 pictured in this thread is ruined IMO by being resprayed white and having the wheels changed, thats just wrong!

Well done on the job, just remember its one thing to have the money to buy an RS model, its also having the money to run one you need to consider.

this is something i understand, my s3 needed work doing to it, tyres, suspension, bushes, aircon, oils, brakes etc etc, i think i've spent £3500 in total this year just getting it how it should be, i've learnt now, it was an impulse buy, but this time round the car i buy will have had everything done in terms of tuning, tyres and suspension, it will be checked over by a mechnic for sure before money is handed over, i also have vagcom, so will check the car with that too!!

there's another cylinder in the v6, another 500cc and an additional turbo - that's my logic behind it - can you even twin turbo a 5 cylinder engine? i suppose you could with some pipe work, but the rs2 is not for me, it's too dated inside[/QUOTE]

you obviously dont know much about the different engines then.

there's another cylinder in the v6, another 500cc and an additional turbo - that's my logic behind it - can you even twin turbo a 5 cylinder engine? i suppose you could with some pipe work, but the rs2 is not for me, it's too dated inside

you obviously dont know much about the different engines then.[/QUOTE]

you cant just say that and not explain lol!!

theres a lot more to it than just because it has extra this extra that its more tuneable.
if a twin turbo is more tuneable why do skyline and supra tuners choose single turbo over twin for out right power? best example i could think of. obv theres more to it than that, but more cylinder/turbos/cc really doesnt decide tuneability

the rs2 is a great car, but it's interior does not impress me, also a 5l 2.2t does not have the tuning potential of a v6 2.7tt

You're right it doesn't, its got 10000000000X more! The reason they are so tunable is because they are literally one of the strongest engines ever built allowing them to run the most crazy boost imaginable. I know of one swedish car which has 38PSI at full chat!

Check the boost on this thing -

The 5 pot is one of the highest tuned engines out there, producing well over 1000bhp in LOTS of cars.

Sorry to spam, but any excuse to play up how good S2' and RS2' are and all that.

An RS2 is quicker than a B5 RS4 in every aspect and in the real world is probably quicker to 60 than a B7 RS4 as they are only 0.1 second slower than the coupe on paper and faster than the avant! The times of the RS2 were played down so it didn't make the 911 turbo look crap a couple of independant tests saw it's 0 to 60 times closer to 4.6.
Anyway, don't listen to me. Thats just what I want haha!

Whatever you get it's going to be good! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i hear where you are coming from, but the rs4 is tunable to 1000bhp too - it just depends how much you are willing to spend on it, i'd be happy with 500 - 550bhp - i believe that can be achieved without loosing reliability

again i am a fan of the rs2, it;s a great concept, if only the interior was more up to date!!!!

theres a lot more to it than just because it has extra this extra that its more tuneable.
if a twin turbo is more tuneable why do skyline and supra tuners choose single turbo over twin for out right power? best example i could think of. obv theres more to it than that, but more cylinder/turbos/cc really doesnt decide tuneability

Not a good example, supra and skyline are inline 6 with bi turbo setup, i.e. 1 small 1 big turbo, and a complicated manifold system I think (valve switchs exhaust gas at certain rpm), tuners scrap the manifold and stick a single large turbo on for big power (this is my understanding) same with the RX7. The S4/RS4 is twin turbo as it has 1 turbo per bank of cylinders, to make it single turbo would require a very bespoke exhaust manifold

If it were me, i'd take the B7 RS4 all day long, it doens't feel as quick as a turbo car, but it really is a fantastic car as an allround package, and that V8 engine is supreme!

Having said that, if the choice was between the B5 RS4 and the RS6 then I think that should be easy. I know the RS6 is an auto but then it's a big car, and not really apt for throwing round the twisties. My XJR was a similar sort of machine, an auto with heaps of power, but as much as it handled well for it's size, you can never really compare it to something that weighs a lot less and has a much shorter wheelbase, although it was very fast. So my point is, they are 2 different cars, so what are you after...a capable quick car in the twisties and more involing drive OR do you want something that is devastatingly quick and great comfort for long cruises with minimal effort from you.

The RS2 is amazing, but i'd not use one as an everyday car, i'd need something else I could abuse alongside it.

edit to my other the skyline uses a parallel setup so both turbos spin up at the same time, but the supra and RX7 use a sequential setup.

Just 1 option then.

Or turbo charge one, fit new cams, ecu mapping etc etc. I gave one of many options as an example... instead of being a pedantic ****... help the OP out with an opinion.

The b5 rs4 is an older car than the B7. The suspension geo is worse than the B7, and interms of running the car....... it'll be a much bigger money pit than a B7.... just keeping it on the road.

Or turbo charge one, fit new cams, ecu mapping etc etc. I gave one of many options as an example... instead of being a pedantic ****... help the OP out with an opinion.

The b5 rs4 is an older car than the B7. The suspension geo is worse than the B7, and interms of running the car....... it'll be a much bigger money pit than a B7.... just keeping it on the road.

IMHO the supercharger kit is the only worthwhile mod for the V8 (or even v6) audi's and its very expensive. So there is really only one viable uopgrade option, there isnt room for turbo's (2 would be required and they would hang out of the wings) I don't think anyone makes Cam's for them, an ECU remap would add 10-15bhp maximum.

however I think RS4 V8's are fast enough standard.

like i already stated - i am planning on spending a little more than average on a b5 so all the suspension etc has already been changed

turbo charging an rs4 b7 would cost half the price of the car, pointless, plus can the internals even take extra boost? it's a no go in my eyes, even super charging it is expensive

Yep the internals can take a supercharger so they can take turbos. The suspension on a b5 may be "sorted...." but the geo will still be worse than an B7. When I talk about geo... I mean the location of the struts and other components.... not if it's been lowered on coilovers etc.

Yep the internals can take a supercharger so they can take turbos.  The suspension on a b5 may be "sorted...." but the geo will still be worse than an B7.  When I talk about geo... I mean the location of the struts and other components.... not if it's been lowered on coilovers etc.

However... it does sound like you're decided on a B5 RS4..... so in reality i'd be doing as much digging as possible on what you need to check on when buying one.

B5 RS4 is the best bang for Buck if your going RS

One with sorted suspension with main work + remap