1.8T 225 BAM Engine Cutting out! Air Mass problem? PLEASE HELP!

tjkherz

Reaction score
My car has been running fine, but went to start it the other day and it just cut out almost straight away. Thought I'd stalled it so tried again and same thing happened.

Couldn't understand it but I suspected the Air Mass Meter so unplugged it. The engine runs fine without it plugged in, but as soon as I plugged it back in it stopped working, i.e it cuts the engine out immideitly. The traction control light and engine management have now come on.

I ordered a cheaper replacement meter and it hasn't fixed the problem. Also I have plugged the car into my neighbours ETHOS diagnostic and it picks up no codes apart from those picked up from running it without the meter. Very strange!

Not really sure what to do?

Any help or experience with this would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Try swapping it with a genuine MAF, as the aftermarket ones can be a bit dodgy, also some of the genuine ones can be faulty too.

Any chance you can get it scanned on VAGCOM, see if it brings up anymore, or if you can list the codes it comes up with, someone on here maybe able to assist further.

non Bosch maf is just as likely to be as problematic as a dodgy tired old bosch one.

genuine only dude.
lights on dash will be because its been disconected and/or faulty.

do you have access to vagcom?

non Bosch maf is just as likely to be as problematic as a dodgy tired old bosch one.

genuine only dude.
lights on dash will be because its been disconected and/or faulty.

do you have access to vagcom?

Sort of, ill take it to my gargage, think he's got vagcom.

Should have ordered the bosch one, knew it at the time, I was just too cheap!!

So the non bosch ones are just crap are they, ie dont work? they shouldnt be selling them!

Ill get a vagcom done asap!