S3 vs R32

ianhg

Reaction score
Hey
Just wondered how those two cars compare? i have only met an R32 going the opposite direction! would be nice to meet one going the same way as me. They are both the top range of the two models. But the R32 imo will probably have my little S3. Engine capacity will be better than the little Turbo'd s3. We both have the same running gear. one thing i wish i had that the R32 does, is that lovely V6 sound thru the twin exhausts!
Are they both around the same weight? i think my s3 is 1400kg.

Fellow S3 owners what are you thoughts?

The R32 weighs 1477 Kg, but has about 240 bhp so it probably evens out.

Had a race with one off the lights once, he was giving it all that, revving that gorgous engine, but when the lights changed he just seemed to bog down, completely left him and he never gained after that. Although he probably had a bad start thought he might pull me in but was chuffed to see him in the distance!

Am dying to race another one, so if there are any in the salisbury / winchester area, look out for a black S3.

One thing i wished the S3 had is the same steering wheel as the R32. Its small and chunky and just feels soo right - sad i know.

R32 and 225 S3 are very closely matched in performance. The R32 doesn't feel as quick to drive but it is! Cant stay off the boost in them though to return 40mpg!

might put this to bed this summer as a mate has a R32 and i have a S3 so looks like some drag time is needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not easy to modify an R32 though so all you remappers should have em for breakast.

[ QUOTE ]
What about an M3, as I was surprised how little one pulled away from me in a straight line the other day.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't trying then! (If it was an E46) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

an M3 would lunch an S3!!

that is why I am saving my $ for next. or a 996 but that is more de niro for less grunt and naffer image

E46 M3s rule and they have tonnes of grunt.

totally different car with very diff price tag new.

mind you 01 cars with 40k miles are going for like 25k!!

a lot of car for the money!

just try insuring one!!

[ QUOTE ]

that is why I am saving my $ for next. or a 996 but that is more de niro for less grunt and naffer image

just try insuring one!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a read Here !

I went up against a M3 and it certainly didn't "lunch" me!

This however was in a straight line and if we were on a track or driving around the twisties then I'm sure he would have lost me! But there wasn't a hell of a lot in it I've got to tell you on a straight line dash! He was pulling away from me but not at the rate you would imagine!

Cheers
RIch.

I saw a stunning one in mineral grey fully loaded for 24k on 02 plate with 30k on clock

incredibly tempting but the insurance kinda put me off hahahahhha

4500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
M3's are in a differnet performance league to even chipped S3's in terms of straight line performance.

Its all about your opinion of what "lunched" "done" "beaten" is. If you expect it to disappear like a speeder bike or the lambo on the start of cannonball run - forget it. You need +200hp to do that (Ion pulse for the speederbike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

AFAIC, if a car pulls 3,4,5 lengths in a quarter of a mile then it has "fcuked you"

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed ... and 2 or 3 seconds to 100 difference is a rodgering in my book.

A

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

just try insuring one!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a read Here !

This however was in a straight line and if we were on a track or driving around the twisties then I'm sure he would have lost me! But there wasn't a hell of a lot in it I've got to tell you on a straight line dash! He was pulling away from me but not at the rate you would imagine!

Cheers
RIch.

[/ QUOTE ]
An M3 "lunched" me not long ago...

... but it was an M3 CSL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I must be a sh*t hot driver then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It must be your TT pedals... I'll need to get myself a set! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

just try insuring one!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a read Here !

Cheers
RIch.

[/ QUOTE ]
An M3 "lunched" me not long ago...

... but it was an M3 CSL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I must be a sh*t hot driver then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It must be your TT pedals... I'll need to get myself a set! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard they give an extra 20 bhp! Must be those then!

My brother has and M3 and 0-80 there really is nothing in it.. I would even go as far as saying I had the edge 0-60..

He wasnt best impressed, MUhahahahahahha bow down the to the almighty S3
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My brother has and M3 and 0-80 there really is nothing in it.. I would even go as far as saying I had the edge 0-60..

[/ QUOTE ]

E46 M3? If it is - its broken!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

E46 M3? If it is - its broken!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a cabriolet .. they seem to be a fair bit slower than their coupe counterparts.

A

Yeah i knew that, id expect the E36 to live with an E46. Some E36 M3's were only 270hp ish though (non-EVO) so id expect these to be more or less comparible with a chipped S3. There are M3's and M3's! All nice though!

Thats some car for £6k!

early E36 M3s were only 3 litre and 286 bhp
the later evo came along with 321 and are quick!

I agree with Monty and nervus...if it pulls 3-5 cars lengths in 1/4 of a mile then that is a solid solid dicking in anyone's books!

over 100 then forget it as it will be gone regardless of what chip you have!

we have a wheezing 1.8 litres with a fairly efficient blower.
Mr M3 has 3.2 litres and 2 more cylinders to play with!!

yum yum give me one!! I just love the look , shape and drive of the E46 so I will leave it thre.
each to their own.

I love the S3 for what it can do, what std eqpt it has and for what money you pay. does me well fine for the minute and everyone likes it.

just the M3 is the next step up!

mate of mine just moved from M3 to 996 GT3...now that is an animal!!

Nick
www.theratpac.com

I would agree with most of what is said on here, but there is no getting away from it a standard S3 is not that quick, especially up against an M3 E46. I had a bit of fun a few weeks ago before car started being SH!T, rolling start against one on an empty slip road in my standard S3 from about 20 ish, didn't think he was interested so I changed up to early then he floored it... so I just wanted to see how much faster it was so I did too.

by the bottom of the slip road we were both on the wrong side of 70 with him quite a long way off, but not as far as I thought, both saw sense at that point.

still - same driver comitment from both cars and your beaten every time in an S3 and I'm guessing that goes for a chipped or maybe even a 350bhp S3

Can everyone please stop these S3 VS etc. unless they know someone with the other car and are both willing to go to santa pod etc. and prove it, when I think we'll all see the S3 will loose most of the time, but it's not about straight line speed is it? that's not why I bought one...

... was the mix of quality and performance / 4wd for me... which one the quality side is not starting to look so good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

GTQ,

cant agree more matey.

There has been more of these S3 Vs threads on this forum in the past few months than there has been in 2 years!

They are great cars, but PLEASE remember, they arent invincable. Far from it!