Stupid Audi alarm

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Anyone know an easy way to disconnect this piece of junk?
It has been going off randomly for 2 nights now, even with the car unlocked and the alarm not set. I eventually had to disconnect the battery.
I thought it might be a bad earth at the control box (as have repositioned the earth point to make room for stealth sub) but this was 2 years ago. Anyway ripped everything out and filed away the paint to make a good contact, put everything back. Then trickle charged the battery as the car hasn't had much use since Xmas. Locked it and hey presto alrm goes off again after about 2 hours. Unlock it, lock it and it goes off immediately.
Tried disabled interior sensors, no effect.
It must be something to do with power as it goes off even when it's not armed (and I did make sure I opened a door so that it didn't rearm automatically).
Also I haven't had the 3 internal beeps for a while, but don't know if this is related or not.
Can I just disconnect the control box?

it could be that the backup needs charging? and its intermittent going off would be like a smoke alarm does when its battery is going flat? problem is - that until the backup is fully charged it will go off!!

is it worthwhile giving audi a call?

i am not au fait with the audi system - only had the car 6 weeks. sorry mate.

but any good alarm is a real pain in the **** when either battery dies.

My Golf 1.8T, the day after I bought it, had the alarm going off whenever it was left armed.

Took it straight back to the dealer, who diagnosed a faulty bootlid sensor. Replaced it, and the car was fine for years after /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't know if the Golf 1.8T uses the same alarm system, or the same bootlid latches, as other VAG cars... But just thought it might be worth a try? HTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Andrew, did the Golf alarm just make a stupid noise like a clock radio when it went off?

Hi Andy,
The audi alarm horn and alarm battery are one unit, or so my sales rep told me, this is to prevent tampering.
My alarm died about 3 weeks after I bought my a3. But it would go off intermittently about 3 beeps, then a pause for ten seconds, followed by 3 beeps. This would continue till I unlocked and locked the car. It's not an alarm horn going off, more like a loud beeping noise. Mine sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. Could this be your clock radio noise?
Turns out my alarm battery was flat. It costs about £120 for a new unit (you have to buy the horn and battery as one as mentioned above) at an Audi dealers, incl. fitting. If that is your problem.
It's ****** annoying... mine nearly caused an entire flat to evacuate thinking that the fire alarm was going off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ta,
jbw

The beeping is the alarm going off accompanied by flashing indicators (I'm not talking about the beeps you sometimes get while in the car). It'll beep and flash for 30-40 seconds, then start again until the car is blipped.
I don't think it can be a sensor as it still does it (to a lesser extent) with the car unlocked/unarmed.
I'm taking it into Autotechnik today and they can play around with it, too damn cold to be fannying around with this sh!t today, but thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I had a problem with my alarm a few weeks back. To be honest it wasn't the whole alarm that was just going off it was the siren. It decided that at 1:30 on a sunday morning it would start going off (no lights flashing though) Would unlock the car to stop it going off and then lock it. The little LED by the door pins wouldn't start flashing until about 5 seconds after locking. Tried turning of the internal sensors to no luck. Went down to the Audi garage first thing when it opens to see if any of the sales rep's have any idea to stop it till monday. I really would of got more info out of a brick wall. They were total waste of time. Called the RAC out as I had cover come with the car and to be fair they were a big help and tried everything they could. Unfortunatly they still couldn't fix it. They did say however that they could take the car away over night till the monday if the alarm was that much of a problem going off all the time. I didn't need that however as a mate has a garage and I could leave it in there over night unlock. Come monday took the car down to Bristol Audi for 8 in the morning anc lucky enough they could take it in that day. No curtisy car though as they had all been booked out. However a free lift to work. They then find the problem.......a faulty siren module. They had to order the part in over night. Picked the car up the next day all fixed. Cost £276!!! Dohh

Do you have VAG-COM? this will tell you where the problem is.

You can't just pull a fuse as its connected to cetral locking/interior lights etc. Unless you don't mind dealing without all that lot.

Also If you ripped the unit out, then all the convenience stuff would not work.

You could probably get the part cheap from an online parts supplier.