EM TuningSky Insurance
    5th Gear

Status

Replacing diff oil & gearbox/transmission oil tomorrow

Well I've at last found the time to get this done. My wife's taking the kids out all morning so I should get some peace & quiet for a change, which I will spend hiding under the car. Hopefully all will go OK... No problems with the car as such, just want to refresh the oil afer 8 years and 85k miles. Will report back on progress tomorrow.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Look forward to hearing this, i'm doing mine and also the Haldex at the weekend.

Where did you get your oils from as a matter of interest?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    x2 ^^ some pics would be great...

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    x2 ^^ some pics would be great...
    or just come round and do it for us eh Dave?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

5th Gear

Status
    Oil was from Opie oils. I'll post up what I used tomorrow. Re pics, I'm working from these previous threads so not planning to take any more:

6 speed 4WD gearbox and front diff oil change

HELP: Rear diff oil quantity

Haldex is easy so long as you have the filter removal tool. Did mine & filter last year. Re-filling is a PITA because you basically have to fill through the drain hole so it's tricky to get the plug back in without losing too much fluid.

1st Gear

Status
    Glad my threads are coming in handy Noticeable difference in cold weather after changing the gearbox oil.

I find filling the haldex using the fill level hole is much easier, tube of oil fits nicely along next to the exhaust.

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah -thanks pj123, great thread!

Well, rear diff oil was changed this morning. Only challenge was getting the 17mm hex socket into position to get the fill hole plug out. It's really cramped in there, but after a bit of gentle "persuasion" and swearing it went in OK. As expected, the magnetic drain plug had captured some metal filings over the years but I cleaned these off before re-filling the diff. The oil that came out was blackened but OK. Re-filled with 1L of Fuchs Titan Sintopoid 75W85 gear oil bought from Opie oils, using a Clarke oil suction pump. Took about an hour to do all-in.

The problem came with the front gearbox - both the 14mm drain and fill hole plugs are security-hexes on my 2003 model (ie a 14mm hex bit with a protrusion in the centre) which means I couldn't get them out with my standard 14mm hex socket. Does anyone know where I can get a 14mm hex-socket with a dimple/hole in the centre? It's really annoying because the transmission drain plug and the rear diff plugs are just standard hexes, so why they've used security-hexes on the gearbox I don't know! Thankfully I was only replacing the oil as a service, not to correct any problem with gear-changing, so at least the car is still useable.

Anyway, I decided to do the N249 bypass instead, which I've been meaning to do for some time.

Down under

Status
    I'm going to be doing this (front and rear oils) when I fit my peloquin rear diff. Hopefully the guy's garage I'll be using (ex VW Racing) has all the bits to do it!
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

5th Gear

Status
    OK, well I replaced the gearbox & transmission oil this morning. Again, easy once you have one of these:

Draper 63476 1/2-Inch Drive Volkswagon or Audi Drain Plug Key: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

The photos in the link in my earlier post refer to a 14mm hex for the gearbox drain & fill plugs, but mine has a 14mm spline fitting.

Anyway, drained old oil out from gearbox and transmission (10mm hex plug) and collected about 2.5L in total. Lots of metal filings clinging to the transmission plug as expected, so cleaned these off. Re-filled with Motyl 75w90 Gear Oil using an oil suction pump until level with the fill hole, then drove round the block gently to fill the transmission and topped up again. Took about 2.9L all together. Took me about 90mins all in.

Satisfied that it's got fresh oil in the whole drivetrain now (did Haldex about 6k miles ago).

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Good work Paul.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

2nd gear

Status
    I have a question boys !
    I recently had my oil changed in my gear box, but my mechanic (a friend of mine) only drained the oil from the gear box & not from the transmission box & filled it back up to the level plug.... with out taking for a spin & topping it back up again.

does that mean there aint enough oil in my gear/transmission box

as im a bit worried after read this thread
    Last edited by spencer-s3; 26th August 2011 at 18:02.

5th Gear

Status
    So long as he topped it up until it just started to dribble out of the fill-hole then it has the right quantity of oil in it. However you will have about 2.5l of new oil mixed in with about 0.4l of old oil that would have been left in the transmission. Depends on your view on that. For someone with OCD like me, I wouldn't be happy because you've still got a fair amount of old oil in there and the magnetic plug on the transmission drain will still have all of the metal filings attached to it that accumulate in the gearbox/transmission over time.

If you only drain the gearbox, there is some oil left in the transmission (0.4l), If you don't drain the transmission you don't need to drive it to re-fill the transmission from the gearbox. Problem is you don't remove that old oil either.

Make sense?

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Did you notice any difference at all after you changed both sets of oil?
    Does anyone know if the gearbox oil and diff oil be the same for a 4WD diesel model?

Thanks
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

5th Gear

Status
    Have a look at the Opie Oils website - they have a search facility to determine the right oil by car.

I didn't have any problems with the car before changing the oil and it's still fine now so I have not noticed any difference. I did it as a routine service/preventive measure rather than to correct a problem.