TDI was cutting out, now cambelt failure - Any ideas on what caused it?

TDIQ

8L > 8P > 8V
Reaction score
I recently changed my PD130's cambelt and waterpump and all the associated tensioners. I locked the cam and changed it all without any problems. I plugged in VAG-COM and it said the timing was spot on.

The problems all started when I would be driving, and if I coast to some lights or put the car in neutral from say 3k RPM the revs would just drop and the car would stall. Once this happened maybe 15 times, the car became very hard to start. I'd have to hold the key in the start position for up to 10 seconds. I changed both Relay 109 and I know the lift pump is working fine because diesel shoots everywhere when I tried to start the car.

On Friday the cambelt failed. Whilst it's still in one piece and it's tense it has frayed everywhere and when I tried to turn the car over the cam sproket wasn't moving at all. I broke down outside Kwik-Fit and the guy came out and said it's turning over very fast.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? I don't want to pay to get the car back on the road for it all to happen again.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea what could make the cam seize? Would it fit in with the car dying when coasting?

Lack of oil would be about all that could sieze the cam i'd have thaught.

Was it a good quality belt kit? Conti/Gates?

Gates belt, brand new. I locked the engine with the correct tools when I changed the belt and waterpump it was absolutely fine for about 1k miles. No oil light and the car hadn't be using any oil at all prior to the cambelt change.

I don't want to get this fixed or change the engine only for it to happen again. I've spoken to a few people and they're all stumped as to what can cause this.