AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Rear washer help

Evening all

I noticed my rear washer wasnt working so removed & checked under the rear hatch cover, no problem there.Then whilst looking into the engine bay I noticed water trickling from the right hand side when the rear washer was activated.I assume then that the pipe has come apart but how do I get to it.Do I have to remove the battery ?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by macpdm; 21st August 2011 at 22:12.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Brum brum

Status
    Hi,

This is a common problem. You need to remove the air filter housing, then underneath that & towards the passenger seat there is some black trunking around 5cm square. Take the cover off that and buried in amongst the wiring will be the pipe to the rear washer. There is a join in the pipe here which often pops apart. Mine did it several times and in the end I put some clips (I think they were originally for joining fuel lines) on the pipe and fingers crossed it seems to have worked.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    Hi,

This is a common problem. You need to remove the air filter housing, then underneath that & towards the passenger seat there is some black trunking around 5cm square. Take the cover off that and buried in amongst the wiring will be the pipe to the rear washer. There is a join in the pipe here which often pops apart. Mine did it several times and in the end I put some clips (I think they were originally for joining fuel lines) on the pipe and fingers crossed it seems to have worked.
    Cheers buddy

Thats good news so no need to touch the battery.What about bonding using superglue ?

Just found a link showing the problem but is there any problem using superglue to bond back together ?

A3 Rear Washer Pipe?
    Last edited by macpdm; 21st August 2011 at 22:49.

thats me

Status
    I just wrapped mine with electrical tape and its never come apart again in 5 years
    red to red black to black blue to bits

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse View Post
    I just wrapped mine with electrical tape and its never come apart again in 5 years
    yep, me too, wrapped it in electrical insulation tape. Tested it and it worked fine for about 5 seconds and then the leak appeared in the boot by the sub woofer! so had to rip all the rear trim out to get to it. Then wrapped it in insulation tape and has been fine since.
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

2nd Gear

Status
    I know this post was sometime ago but I finally got around to removing the airbox to have a look and sure enough the pipe had come apart.Excellent responses well done guys.

Neutral

Status
    sorry to high jack this thread, but does anyone know what the problem is when the washer spray moves with the wiper? does it mean i will need a new spindle thingy?

Brum brum

Status
    If you do a search - might be in the FAQs sticky thread - there is a how-to on taking the whole thing apart which might fix it, if not, there is a repair kit you can get.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

1st Gear

Status
    mine has this problem too, I had just given up on it (who needs a rear washer anyway).

but now i have seen the problem i think ill sort it...

woop woop!

DVLA Say it's Black

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    Hi,

yup mines done this twice, a right pain in the arse for what it is, i left it for ages the second time as i just couldn't be bothered ... stupid place to run a water line anyway.

12th Gear

Status
    Do not ignore this!!!!!
    My rear washer was not working when i got my car, i thought screw that i don't need it anyway save myself some cash!
    It turned out it was leaking all over my ABS control unit which made that fail..... around a grand for a new unit!!!
    Learn from my mistake and either get it fixed or at the very least make sure it is not leaking in the engine bay!

6th Gear

Status
    Status Update: suprised that a bit of water can make the ABS control unit fail
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos