cheap cool mod

Rick22

Reaction score
hi, im looking for a cool cheap mod to do to my a3 1.8t on an s reg any ideas would be apreciated :)
thanks rick

carbon wrap the B-pillars. takes about an hour, costs less than 20 quid and looks great.

cool nice man i will have a look at both these things :)

carbon wrap the chrome grill surround, cost me about £10 for the wrap from eBay and completely transforms the front of the car.

I would recommend removing the bumper to get the grill and then grill surround off, as the plastic clips are brittle and break easily so best to lever them out from the back.

cool i like sound of that i will oreder some carbon wrap, and thanks for the tip :)

Do you have to remove the B pillars to wrap them?

carbon wrap the chrome grill surround, cost me about £10 for the wrap from eBay and completely transforms the front of the car.

I would recommend removing the bumper to get the grill and then grill surround off, as the plastic clips are brittle and break easily so best to lever them out from the back.

You don't need to remove the bumper if you take it easy with either a trim tool or flat blade, start in the inside corners and slowly work Yr way around it'll just pop off.
No there riveted on mate I wouldn't bother just wrap em on the car, cut in on the edge in the door shuts, no need to tuck behined and tuck in behind any seals.

You don't need to remove the bumper if you take it easy with either a trim tool or flat blade, start in the inside corners and slowly work Yr way around it'll just pop off.
For the time it takes I'd remove the bumper,I've heard of a few peeps breaking the tabs then you need to buy a new grill (54 quid)

Damo how easy is it for a novice like me to wrap say the b pillar? Ive never done it before lol.

okay cool ive ordered the wrap for the pillars and the grill surround, ill takes some pics oncw ive done thanks for all your tips guys

as damo says, no. when i did mine i used a tesco club card to slide the wrap beind the pillar
DSCF0594.jpg

then a heat gun to shape it around the other side
DSCF0595.jpg

definitely no point in removing them!

depends if u already have a map in mind. there are veried reviews on here re the remaps from more-bhp and its only £99 done as postal. the company have very good reviews in the vw world and 100% feedback on ebay. im have mine done by them this week

they look mint muzza cant wait to get my stuff and have a crack at them :)

For the time it takes I'd remove the bumper,I've heard of a few peeps breaking the tabs then you need to buy a new grill (54 quid)
All depends how hard you rag it I guess but a Fair point as only takes a fee mins to remove.

Damo how easy is it for a novice like me to wrap say the b pillar? Ive never done it before lol.

A job like that is Easy enough mate sure you'll be fine. Just take Yr time and use a little heat to push it into the contours.

As said before, looks well that muzza.

depends if u already have a map in mind. there are veried reviews on here re the remaps from more-bhp and its only £99 done as postal. the company have very good reviews in the vw world and 100% feedback on ebay. im have mine done by them this week
hi dude whats the company called that does the map for £99 ? Did you have to tell them what mods are on ? Thanks

Some of the cheapest mods i've done to my a3 ;
Carbon wrap center / lower console,
Red Ambient lighting,
Changing interior lights to white led/smd's,
TT pedals,
Clear side repeaters,
Silver indicator bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the cheapest mods i've done to my a3 ;
Carbon wrap center / lower console,
Red Ambient lighting,
Changing interior lights to white led/smd's,
TT pedals,
Clear side repeaters,
Silver indicator bulbs.

I wanted to carbon wrap my S3 centre console but it looks really difficult to do where it bends to go around the gear stick etc, Was it easy to do yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed to lower console to do it as I needed to the the wiring for the lighting under the seats. I tried to do it with 1 piece but in the end had to cut the back section where the obd socket is and put a separate piece there. Looks fines and you can't see it.

A week later I had two air bubbles on either side, just above the gear gaiter where the bend is, slightly visible in the pic. I just squeezed some super glue into the gaps and got rid on them. My center console was in a really bad state and I ain't ever planning on removing the carbon wrap, that's the only reason I decided to use the superglue.

Also there's a little gap where the surround and the and the center bit sit together. I found it a bit hard to have the carbon trim sit in the gap nicely so that why used the silver trim to cover up the join the have a clean finish.

Where did you get the red lighting for the footwells from?

Remove the badges, you can get a badgeless mesh grill for about thirty quid on ebay, they look quite cool.

It's More-bhp, google it and it will come up. It's £99 for a generic map, if you want a custom map then it's probably best to take the car to them. Give them a call mate.

Love the Center dash, was it hard to take off?

Where did you get the red lighting for the footwells from?

The lights were from ebay, someone from this forum did them before, gota say its such a cheap mod, with such a big impact at night.

Flexible LED Strip SMD Red - 10cm Piece - 12v - UK | eBay

I used 12 leds (20cm strips) for each footwell. They come with a sticky back but I found this wouldnt stick all the time and would sag or come off. It needs a 100% clean flat surface. Just pulled out the superglue again, easy fix.

For the front footwells, stuck the strips under the dash, rear footwells, under the front seats, on the frame.

I did the front and back footwells plus wiring (from the same guy) for about £8.

Easy to install, hook them up to cigarette lighter light (under console ashtray light) so they only come on when you switch your lights on. As theyre connected to this they can also be dimmed with the rest of the interior lights. As its one little strip, you can hide them well so no one can see the actual strip but only the light. Also they match the interior 100%

Love the Center dash, was it hard to take off?

Lower console has about 3 screws running along either side, under little cap covers. Also need to remove the the rear ashtray, there a couple of more screws there. If you got an armset, obviously gona have to remove that too, bolt to remove this is also accessable from the rear ashtray section. Remove the gear gaiter, the the whole unit kinda slides out but you gota put down handbrake at certain points to maneuver it out.

Legend mate, defo going tobe getting me some of them :).

How much wire would you say you ruffly need mate?

For the front footwells, less than a metre for either side. I did the back at different time, ordered 4 metres, just split it 2m per side, this was more than enough. 6m in total will be plenty, might sound a bit too much at this price your better to have more rather than less

Thats what i thought, about 6m, going to order 8m and wire my boost gauge up at same time.