Monster MotorsportBadger5
    Audi A-Trizzle!

Status

AGU w/ Ko3S - is a FMIC compulsary before map?

Hi All,

As above really,

An AGU with a Ko3S - is a FMIC compulsary before map?

I know prawn ran his without i think but is it safe and would it affect the map at all?

Cheers

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I didn't run my ko3S AGU without an FMIC, it's just my AUM (and therefore ko3S) daily that doesn't have an FMIC.

It's not essential no, but, the mapper won't be able to get the most from it when it's mapped, so you'll probably not see as much power / torque as you could do.

I know FMIC's don't gain power as such, but they do allow for more boost to be mapped in due to lower IATs, and also, I guess more timing, as the lower temps will greatly reduce the risk of DET.

if you fit an FMIC after the map, you won't see the full potential from the setup until the map is altered to suit.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    What Prawn said.....

FMIC's generally make top end power potential more consistent... on a mapped A3/S3/whatever running std intercoolers you may get one or two runs on the dyno that give more or less full power then they die on their arse from heatsoak that the std intercoolers struggle to recover from... on the road things are a tad better due to better airflow through the intercoolers but they still heatsoak quickly and don't recover making performance drop off pretty quickly...

First thing I noticed after fitting the FMIC to my S3 back in the days when it was CC stage 1 on a K04 was how quick it felt more of the time.... driving back from AH Fabs down the A40 the overtaking power was just always there... previously it would do it once then feel quite lethargic afterwards... I think this is where the misconception of a FMIC giving more power comes from... it doesn't give you more power, just gives you the power you had previously more of the time...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I think it's also worth noting though, that in a custom map scenario, most tunners will not request as much boost from a car without an FMIC, simply because it's pointless due to the heat. So peak power from a custom mapped car without FMIC, is very likely to be less than one mapped with it taken into account.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.