Front top mount fitting help...

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
changed my top mounts for the LCR ones and like a div i just pulled everything off...put the new mounts on and the threaded piston does not come through enough, on the cup looking from the top, i can only get the last nut on a few turns...
so as anybody got the sequence they all go back together even wich way round the rubber mount goes...(yeah i know)...please

Bearing, top mount, top mount nut that holds top mount onto piston, ensuring its tightened as far down as it goes, refit suspension then place turret top mount in place and tighten nut, theres only really oneway mate.

Thats the way ive done it Dan, hmm i will take pics tomoz , thanks paul, for your link, nearly had the eureka moment ...but checked and no...lol
it drives spot on on the road but its not right from above, no thread showing.....any ideas?

Does thread show when you just assemble the top mount and damper, before you fit it into situ? Also dave, empty thi ****** inbox :).

Thats weird, in thats case, once the dampers in place the strut cap should sit on and then just bolt up with plenty of thread, just had mine done and went fine.
Get some pics up when you can.
Good haha.

mine was on coilovers there will be a nut ontop of the coilover undo that put bearing in nut back on tighten to 35ft/lbs then lcr top mount then cup and tighten that down that should give you plenty of thread to tighten the mount down.

Sorted, i did have them the correct way round, the thread was slightly damaged and tight was not tight,... it had snagged on the damaged thread,,
I did them without removing the strut and apart from the issue, it would have taken an hour both sides, just drop the ARB linkage and there is plenty of room.. for future reference...

will these LCR mounts fit standard a3? as ive noticed my strut tops like tuftys pics in his thread and this would probably explain the annoying knocking noise too.

I need these doing! Seat want £28.88 per side!

Euro car parts £28 both sides, wait for there dicount days...

Are you sure they are the pukker harder ones? when I was looking they weren't listing the LCR specific ones just Leon et al...

That price sounds about right for ones sold as from an OEM supplier rather than the cheaper alternatives...

Just to recap, std top mounts for all Mk4 chassis stuff (Leon, TT, S3, A3, Golf, Octavia etc..) and 50 odd durometer whereas the LCR ones (SEAT Sport) are 80 odd durometer... much harder... and sadly hence the increased price tag..

<tuffty/>

Yeah true! do they feel much stiffer?

Off the car you can easily feel the difference but also bear in mind the old ones do go softer over time, I didn't have a new set of std ones to hand to try...

On the car the steering feels more positive and the car just feels much more solid to drive... I was worried things were gonna knock and vibrate and they just don't...

<tuffty/>

i got the ones from euro have to say they great had solid mounts on my previous car and they not that bad that you feel every stone in the road bit more bumpy and that compaired to standard ones but well worth the buy