2L conversion for 1.8T engine

dunk

Reaction score
anyone heard or got any experience of these - seem to be a couple of companies in the states with a kit but i cant find anyone in the uk

mtm's 2L effort produces 378hp but they want the engine sent to germany!!!

345hp just isnt enough these days....

I'm pretty certain TSR Performance are still doing a 1.8t 20V to 2.0L conversion, can't see it on their site but they always have it in the magazine adverts.

[ QUOTE ]
anyone heard or got any experience of these - seem to be a couple of companies in the states with a kit but i cant find anyone in the uk

mtm's 2L effort produces 378hp but they want the engine sent to germany!!!

345hp just isnt enough these days....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just being greedy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

yeah i know... cant wait for a new rs machine to be released by audi.

need more power nowwwwww

I looked into doing this myself on my 1.8T when I melted a piston and to do it properly is quote costly... but it is possible.

Basically I was going to use the JE 8:1 1900 CC pistions with a std 2l crank from a 2.0 20v. With this a set of pauter rods and away you go.

So basically... you would need a doner block or the crank...

Then Pistons (£5-600)
Rods (£700ish)
Then all the engineering work etc... but otherwise its the same block so all the accessories should fit back on okay.

That motor would apparently be safe for 500lbs/ft - but not the haldex system.

did any1 see the V6 that was fitted to the S3, was in the audi driver mag, now thats gotta be quick!!

[ QUOTE ]
did any1 see the V6 that was fitted to the S3, was in the audi driver mag, now thats gotta be quick!!

[/ QUOTE ]

quick in a straight line...

IIRC TSR performance does a 2.0l engine block for the 20v 1.8T's.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif but late...look up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

spoke to tsr today - their web site is down

2l exchange engine is £4k - good for 500hp or so complete with flowed head, different exhaust cam and 9:1 compression, but they cant map using the oem ecu - so either another 1500 or so for an aftermarket ecu or a trip to somwhere for a custom remap.

at least they will build the engine first, then i just take the car to have it fitted - but back to problems with the gearbox and haldex

what will these take before they break?

[ QUOTE ]
back to problems with the gearbox and haldex

[/ QUOTE ]

Teh HGP R32 is running 600+bhp and is on standard drivetrain. However, i doubt they had longevity in mind when carrying out the mods. When you get into proper tuning like big turbo's .etc you obvioulsy expect to have to replace things more often. Personally i think 500bhp in a 1.8T is ridiculous. Would be completely undrivable. The turbo would need to be so big that it probably wouldnt kick in til 5000rpm and give you not much of a power band. I'd personally go for 400bhp and have it drivable and a decent power range.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif but late...look up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, serves me right for note reading all the post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif Note to myself, " I MUST READ MORE"

[ QUOTE ]
at least they will build the engine first, then i just take the car to have it fitted - but back to problems with the gearbox and haldex

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe about 350lbs/ft and you are pushing Haldex... not sure about the gearbox though!

Rich... with an IHI you should be able to get about 450bhp... and they spool quick enough... even better with 2l.

Poor choice in 9:1 comp ratio though... I would have liked mid-low 8's.

Have any further specs on the motor... what rods/pistons etc?

I have always said that 300BHP is spot on, never would want anymore. So an S3/A3 with 300BHP give or take with similar torque would be spot on.

Just burns my ar5e that you cant take on TVR types and M3's etc... so you want to leap in power again... the never ending hunger!

with suspension, brakes and haldex sorted the chassis can easily manage the 345lb/ft - its just that it only really goes mental above 2800rpm - i plan to bring that down to the same 2200 or better of the standard turbo to give better flexibiliy

the sportec 550nm conversion uses the standard gearbox and haldex so i reckon i should be ok with the 2L or 2.1L conversion producing 380 to 400lb/ft for road use.

seems this project is getting more do-able by the day....

400lbs/ft is seriously touching if not exceeding the limits of Haldex... but what the hell, be fun finding out :p

as i said, sportec dont do anything with the gearbox or haldex with their 550nm conversion (also a 2L) - apparently they add a haldex oil controller if you are doing continuous track work.

so ill try it and see if anything breaks....