Burning smell from engine bay a3 1.8T

lowrider786

Reaction score
hiya peep,
from last week i have been getting a burning smell coming from my engine bay, it smell like plactic burning, i have checked in the engine bay to see if i can pin point it but cannot locate exactly what is causing it, it seem to be coming from the driver side on the engine bay? has anyone experience this before?? the smell normally is noticable when i park up or at some traffic light, you can smell it when you are driving.

i have a audi a3 1.8 turbo 1997

If you are a hard driver then are you sure it's not just the brakes?

The only 'burning' smell I ever have on my A3T is that of the brakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

If you had an S3 then the other would be the clutch, as those that have done a 1/4 in the S3 will testify to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Have you checked there isn't anything like a plastic bag caught under the car - the exhaust could be melting it.

thanks guys for the response, the smell has been around for 2 weeks now so it would have burnt through any plactic bag or silimar by now.

i am a aggressive driver and thinking of it you might be right, i recently had my car chipped and have been putting my foot down more often, so it may be the brakes???

any good suggestion on some good upgrades guys!!!

Harder performance pads would be a good start, but a nice upgrade is to some TT carriers, larger grooved discs to match along with some performance pads....or front brakes off of the Leon (Brembo's), as another cost effective upgrade....or if you've got some dollars to spend try a big brake upgrade....

For me a simple disc and pad change has had the desired change, for the weight and speed of the A3T.

Check out the discussions on Big brake brembo's..

I've had similar smell coming from my astra turbo but that was only after a very very hard drive where I had the clutch slipping too much it took about 2 to 3 weeks to disappear

The only time it hapened in the A3 was when the brake pads were used to their full potential....

so did you do any one of the above? If so you'll have your answer. if not take it to a dealer. if it's really bad they'll know!

Yep sounds like clutch or brakes, my mates merc had real bad smell coming into the car, turned out to be the clutch, feeeuuuww, what a smell it was too!!

[ QUOTE ]
Yep sounds like clutch or brakes, my mates merc had real bad smell coming into the car, turned out to be the clutch, feeeuuuww, what a smell it was too!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never forget Jo's (Audigirl (When she had Kitty)) face after managing to munch an S3 clutch on the 1/4 a couple of years ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif The car stunk for a long time after!

whats the best way to check if the clutch is on its way out???

am not sure but have heard that you can see it when at 50mph in 6th (or 5th?) and booting it.
if the clutch slips, it's bad news.

I wouldn't have thought a dying clutch would make a constant burning smell, but you can check your clutch by putting it in 5th at 25mph and trying to accellerate. If the revs rise out of line with the increase in speed the clutch is slipping.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have thought a dying clutch would make a constant burning smell

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor would I. If the clutch was that bad then you would have severe issues when driving as well. Quick test is to pull on handbrake and try and pull away in second (First will do the trick) if the car dips and holds the dip without the rpm increase then the clutch is most likely just fine.

Stick with the brakes, they do give you a proper car smell, hot brakes on a cold winters day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

thanks guys for all the advice,
i after a long hard drive today i parked up and smelt around my brake discs, and guest what, the smell was coming from the discs, need some upgrades quick time!!!!