1.9tdi running cold wont warm up ?

madmark

Reaction score
hi had alot of problems with this 1.9tdi 110bhp a3 was over heatin had water pump and thermostat replaced and changed the radiator now it changed round and wont get hot ?shows only 60/70 on temp gauge and the rad is cold the pipe to the top of the rad is hot heater in the car blows hot but there doesent seem to be any hot water flowing through the radiator anyone else had this problem ?

Possible air blockage stopping the water.
I'm not sure what the correct procedure is for flushing/bleeding the system but it does sound like air.

Are you driving the car or are you letting it idle to get to 60/70? The car won't reach 90 just idling...

yes driving the car done some more tests today took the car at 80mph for 15 miles still 60/70 on temp gauge then parked up with engine on tick over rad did get hot bottom pipe from rad to thermostate got hot and then the fan cut in so all seems on as far as water flow glad to here hope i am right in thinking could only be the temp gauge sender unit ? i ordered 1 so fingers crossed will update once changed thank you for your replys

If it was getting up to 90 or above on the gauge before you did the work then I'd try bleeding a possible air lock out of the heater matrix. This is the most likely place to get an air lock in this system from experience.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/bertie2000/vachose1.jpg
Try gently making a tiny gap by twisting off each pipe in turn, right hand pipe first as you look at it if I remember right, from the heater matrix at the bulkhead whilst the engine is running to see if you get a result.

Last edited:
thank you for your reply i will give it ago tonight if i get chance and put result on here for others to follow cheers