switches

MickA3

Reaction score
I installed a post fit fog light kit from VAGparts yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and as i didn't use the OEM switch i have a generic toggle switch under the steering wheel....what i'm wondering now is- i have three 'dead switches' to the right of my hazard warning light button- what do these buttons usually do? I would like to get an active button to replace one of the dead switches with and then use it as my fog light switch- is this possible?....also if anyone has a part no. for a switch that goes there i would appreciate it!! (i assume these switches would be 15 amp rated plus)....cheers in advance for any help!!

The "dead" switches or "blanks" as they are known are for heated seats, ESP etc, depending on the model.

The fog lights are usually connected to the headlight switch. You pull out the switch to operate them.

Does you switch pull out?? If so then you can connect them to it to be like they came from the factory.

Hi, sorry blank switches is what i meant! .... yeah my fog light switch pulls out once for the rear but not twice for the fronts (this is how i uderstand it to work- correct me if i'm wrong!)- and the replacement switch is very pricey....so i'm thinking of getting e.g. an ESP switch and using it to operate the fog lights- is there any reason i couldn't just do this??

I don't see why not, it would do just the trick.

Got a nice fog light set-up a while back which has a remote for it, so all the wiring can stay under the bonnet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

all the audi switches are momentary - that is they connect only whilst pressed

you will have to make up a latching relay circuit that keeps the relay closed after 1 push then opens after another.

I hadn't thought of that!! Is that easy enough to do? ....

Can anybody give me the part number for one of the ESP switches to fit a 2001 A3.... my dealer is hopeless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif....

[ QUOTE ]
is it a facelift?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah- its a 2001 facelift model

do you have an esp switch in there?

the left and right blanks have no available switch from audi - there was never anything that was designed to go there on the facelift models

the middle one is usally esp - assuming that you dont already have anything there i will check the part number for you

Thanks Dunk! .... i have no esp switch there- i just have three blanks in a row....