Rubbing sound when reversing

benk

Reaction score
I think people have mentioned this before but a search didn't find anything: every now and then I get a rubbing sound when driving slowly with the wheels turned slightly.
Is this likely to just be brakes rubbing?
How far do the pads normally sit off the discs with brake released?

Does this happen when driving the car after its been sitting for a while of does it happen all the time?

It may well be overnight rust on the discs.

The pads sit less than a 1mm off the discs when not in use.

Could be rust, although I'd just driven 15 miles or so and would hope brakes had cleared most off over that distance.
I certainly hear the rust when heading off when car has sat after rainfall, etc.- sounds like I'm braking with cardboard until they've ground some of the junk off.

Sound is fairly rare but have sometimes had it when driving forward slowly onto drive - wasn't sure if it could be something else, but I am assuming bearings would rumble, not give a higher pitch squeak/rubbing sound, and that doesn't leave much else relating to wheel noise does it?

what about the pads on the innerside of the disks are they ok?

That's what I'm beginning to wonder - I had pads and discs done a long time ago (probably 30k miles!) so probably time for new pads...

may be a little off-topic...
squealing brakes - would that be due to warped/worn discs?
what else could be the problem...it started a few 100 kilometers after the new pads were added and is only on the front left wheel...will take it back to the fitment place but would like any input before then...
cheers