Remap Plugs / Oil ?

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
As some of you know I'm getting a remap next week so thought i would give the car an oil change and a set on new plugs.

I'm sure i read somewhere (cant find it now) that if you don't adjust the gap on the plugs to suit the remap then you will start blowing coil packs.

Autodata says that the standard gap should be ngk = 1.0 and bosch = 0.8 (don't know why they would be different). But can someone let me know what they should be after the remap?

Also is 15w/30 still the oil to go for after the remap?

Thanks guys ;)

i didnt no the gap made a difference? providing it wasnt out of tolerance of corse.

ive got a remap...and never adjusted them?!?!?!

News to me

NGK BKR6e's gapped at 0.28 (mapped)

Oil - Quantum 5w40

Good luck with the map :)

Thanks guys ;)

Did you miss type the 2 ?

I thought people just used quantum because its cheap and thatyou need you keep changing it because the quality's not that good :think:

So its 0.7 on the spark plugs and 5w40 on the oil :thumbsup:

I just checked the ngk website and it doesn't list these for my car :think:

Are you sure they are for the aum engine?

Yes, 100% sure :)

I ran them in mine whilst it was getting mapped. These plugs work well but do require changing every oil change, you can get 4 for around £8 so worth it

Yes, 100% sure :)

I ran them in mine whilst it was getting mapped. These plugs work well but do require changing every oil change, you can get 4 for around £8 so worth it

Ok thanks mate :thumbsup:

I suppose if i want the plugs to last longer then i should get platinum plugs ?

I was just about to buy the PFR6Q platinum plugs so they would last a bit longer but I've just found out that i can get BKR6EIX iridium plugs for about the same price.

What's best platinum or iridium plugs and why?

Sorry to but in, but I serviced my car about a month ago with castrol edge 5w30. Is this too thin then? I'm sure the quantum stuff audi use is a 5w30

Different grades of Quantum, 5w30 is longlife and in the 1.8 T's it tends to cause more issues than good.

As the oil ages it'll degrade so it'll get even thinner at operating temp and burn quicker which would then require more top ups.

Just been doing a bit of reading and.....

It seems that the BKR6EIX are a bit of a no no (something to do with the copper core and resistance) and that you should go with the IFR6Q-G if you want iridium plugs, So i think ill stick with the PFR6Q’s....LOL

Just been doing a bit of reading and.....

It seems that the BKR6EIX are a bit of a no no (something to do with the copper core and resistance) and that you should go with the IFR6Q-G if you want iridium plugs, So i think ill stick with the PFR6Q’s....LOL

Copper cored plugs are best performance wise, both the BKR6E and BKR6EIX have a copper core, the only difference is the IX is iridium electrode (lasts longer than the BKR6E)

PRF6Q are stock plugs so you'll be fine with them, will need gapping to 7mm

Silly question but what tool do you need to gap plugs? What's the advantage of gapping to 0.7 if you're mapped? Thanks

Silly question but what tool do you need to gap plugs? What's the advantage of gapping to 0.7 if you're mapped? Thanks

Spark plug feeler gauge to adjust the gap bud

I think the main reason for gapping it to 7mm is due to running higher boost. Less chance of the spark being blown out and also makes life easier for your coilpacks

Reactions: fran-s3
Any tips on getting the coil packs out without damaging them ?

They very rarely break in half lol

I'm sure i read a thread not that long ago where that happened....lol

I replaced the plugs today with some pfr6q plugs that were already gapped to 0.7mm

Funny thing is, the plugs that were in there was denso iridium svk20rz8 but i still changed them because i don't have any idea when they last got changed.

Thanks again ;)