Calling all those with Avus on A3s (again - sorry!)

FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi folks,

You might remember some time ago I found out that apparently the 'steam-train' like noise I was hearing from my car was down to my wheels rubbing my pads; which I thought was crazy at first, and then loads of people on here posted accounts and photos of their A3s with S3 Avus wheels fitted, and no nasty rubbing at all.

...Anyway, today being the first day I've had myself, my car, and my tools all in the same place, I went out to have a fiddle... I went out and jacked-up the passenger side, removed the wheel and started to un-bolt the caliper - I noticed the bottom bolt felt tight part-way through removing such like it may be threaded; and decided I'd leave well alone and prepare to roast the place who fitted my new discs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

So, being totally gutted about that prospect, but undeterred at having a decent look at the problem, I reversed what I'd got through so far on that side and jacked-up the driver's side. I noticed that the Greenstuff pads were a much better fit than the cheap-and-nasties I had to get at short notice when the Greenstuffs hadn't turned up; and when I had a look at the ones I'd taken off I noticed a mark on the outside pad... I threw the wheel back on to check it... Have a look what I found...

padrub.jpg

So I'm left trying to figure out why either a) my wheels are different to everyone else's who has fitted them to an A3, or b) my brakes are different to everyone else's who has fitted the Avus wheels to an A3.

Any ideas folks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Regards,

Rob.

You have a 1.6i correct? And that is the front caliper?

The caliper looks busted in comparison to my fronts or is it the shadow? I cant tell, I need a clearer pic and I will post what my clerance looks like with my RS4's tommorow (I know there not the same wheel but it will give you a starting point).

In fact I think I may have anserwed my own question...

You know Im doing my engine upgrade, I am also buying 1.8T suspension legs, I believe the disks have a bigger radius and as such the calipers are set further back (away from the hub). The Hub of the 1.8T may also be slightly larger in circumference??? thus matching the slightly larger hub pattern on the S3 wheels.

I may be totaly wrong though, but the majority of people who said they did not have issues where people with turbo's.

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm left trying to figure out why either a) my wheels are different to everyone else's who has fitted them to an A3, or b) my brakes are different to everyone else's who has fitted the Avus wheels to an A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Im not post whoring - just my mind ticking over...

Your brakes are very much diffrent to those of the 1.8, 1.8T (180, 210 and 225BHP). The1.6i engine spec has weedy small brakes fitted, hence my suspension leg upgrade so I can fit brembo's (brembo dont do a fittament for the 1.6i).

Hope this helps

HI

I have an A3 1.8 T sport, and since putting on S3 alloys have noticed a strange sound, i think it is more the wheel beraing but i will check my car 2morrow in the light and let u know if i have the same problem, thus it wont be the wheel bearing as i thought, however NSD is right the 1.8T has bigger discs and pads than other A3 models. so it shouldn't rub. Will let u know 2morrow

Ross /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hey folks,

Cheers for your input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the vehicles with the seperate wheel-bearing housing and caliper carrier (and FN3 caliper) definately won't have this problem because of a) the increased size of the disc etc. and b) the caliper is set at a different angle (or so it appears from what I've read).

I think the solution to the 'steam-train' noise is going to involve taking the outside two pads to a bench-grinder and shaving a 1mm deep crescent out of the trailing edge of the backing. Well, that's going to be the "quick & dirty" fix. At some point I plan to exchange everything over to FN3 type caliper arrangement so I too can put porkas/brembos on later. Or of course, I could change my rims; but I'm a bit skint for that and I really like the Avus rims *ducks*.

The thing that's really winding me up is that the bottom guide-pin on the passenger-side caliper is almost definately threaded and I don't think I've much chance of getting the place that replaced my discs to accept responsibility. I take it the guide pin just bites an opposing-thread on the caliper, and not the carrier first - meaning I just have to replace the actual caliper and the mildly-stripped guide pin, and not the entire wheel-bearing housing & caliper carrier as well?

Thanks again and regards,

Rob.

welcome to the nightmare bro...

When I did my brakes a few months back now I had the same problem...

My lower guide pin lost its threading on the drivers side, I brought a new pin from Audi £17.00
and then had a garage re-thread the wheel hub carrier.

As your question Factionone, the caliper does not hold the thread it is a smooth hole that the caliper glides over the pin, the hub carrier has the thread.

Like I said - new guide pin and a re-tapping kit should sort you out, you can get a solution that you can chuck in the hole and let hardern and then re-thread the hole, but in hole its best to get a garage to do it (safety first!).

to upgrade your calipers factionone - you will need to purchase the whole suspension legs (strut not essential) complete with new carrier. The FSIII (1.6i golf/audi calipers) and FN3 work in a completely diffrent way.

Checked my car this morning, and it is fine there is plenty of clearence between the wheel and pads if you have to 1.8T sport, as said must be due to larger discs, if anyone wants a picture to see, what 17"Avus alloys should be like on a standard A3 1.8 T sport let me know and i'll take a picture for you and post it up

[ QUOTE ]
HI

I have an A3 1.8 T sport, and since putting on S3 alloys have noticed a strange sound, i think it is more the wheel beraing but i will check my car 2morrow in the light and let u know if i have the same problem, thus it wont be the wheel bearing as i thought, however NSD is right the 1.8T has bigger discs and pads than other A3 models. so it shouldn't rub. Will let u know 2morrow

[/ QUOTE ]

Ross,
Don't think its a wheel bearing, I had the same noise and had it checked at the stealers, and they said it was due to tyre noise. I was positive it was a rear wheel bearing but after checking found no faults. Thought it was just the stealers trying to get out of replacing the bearings under warranty, but since changing to 18's with GSD f1's no noise.

Just read through this thread after a search for Avus alloys and I'm glad I found it.

I'm about to buy a set of either 17" Avus or RSTT alloys for my 2001 A3 1.6 Sport but am now thinking I'm going to have the same problem as FactionOne and neversaydie? I was hoping to fit the alloys without any modifications.

Well that made me chuckle... I saw the thread title, and thought, oh, I've got Avus on an A3... Imagine my surprise when I opened the post and found it was me who was asking!

I'd totally forgotten about all of this!

OK, for a long-term update on the effects of Audi's decision to fit the 1.6 A3 with calipers (and system of operating them) that can be described as little more than cheap s**t and an enthusiasts' decision to run Avus rims in conjunction with them...

I performed the 'quick and dirty' fix I discussed earlier in the thread... Although in fairness I said I'd use a bench grinder, I actually ended up using nothing more tech than a coarse file. Having taken out a little bit of the backing at the point where the pad would come into contact with the wheel, I've found no problems at all. Obviously this isn't a perfect solution, and it's up to you to decide whether or not you're happy with it, but if I was sat in the garage again with my pride and joy and some shiny new Avus rims that I really wanted to go on the car, I don't think I'd hesitate about doing it again...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> And just in case anyone else goes time-travelling in search of information about a threaded pin in said POS-design caliper... Helicoil is the way forward - kit cost about £10, a massive saving on the ridiculous price of a new hub/bearing housing and labour to swap it over; and it's more than strong enough (you can give it full-on brute force and ignorance and it won't budge).

Oh, and in the interests of knowledge-archiving (and because I'm just a ****** nice bloke ;))...

I've got the picture of what was going-on back online...

Regards,

Rob.

padrub.jpg

i was wrecking my brain trying to figure out how a pad could rub a wheel but there you are!

I think Id personally just file them a little.

I'd say you can be completely forgiven for not being able to imagine it given the fact that first you have to be thinking about a brake disc with a radius not that much larger than that of a polo mint - and of course that's the key to the woefully (and cheaply) designed, and pitifully sized caliper assembly fitting so close to the wheel!

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks for replying Rob, the picture makes it a whole lot clearer! Although it seems a simple job to file down the pads, I think I'll pass. I presume I won't have the same problem with 17" RSTT alloys? I know they were an option for the 1.6 Sport unlike the Avus rims.

Thanks,

Ian