Found this in my sump...

pj123

Reaction score
Changing the pickup up pipe and found this in the sump of my 99 s3 APY. Can anyone identify where its come from and do i need to worry?

P1000228.jpg

P1000229.jpg

P1000220.jpg

P1000225.jpg

P1000223.jpg

P1000237.jpg

its looks alot like a collet to me too! not entirely sure how it would get into the sump though......

Dont think its had any headwork. I've had the car for 7 years now, since 26k miles and now on 94k and the only time the rocker cover has been off since i've had it was last week when i changed the rocker cover casket, chain tensioner gasket and half moon. Didn't touch anything else. Which bit is the collet exactly?

DSCF1675-1.jpg

DSCF1678.jpg

DSCF1679.jpg

DSCF1680.jpg

Just googled a valve collet and now I know what they are. Where are they meant to live then? Do i need to worry about it?

A collet fits into the recess on the top of the valve and holds the valve spring secure at the top. When you remove a valve, you use a valve spring compressor to compress the valve spring and then the collets can be removed, the spring taken off the top of the valve and the valve withdrawn from the head. I'm struggling to think how that could get there (if it is indseed a collet)

You have no need to worry because if the collets were missing off a valve you'd know about it believe me lol.

Great that sounds promising then. The only other unusual thing i noticed was one of the nuts just above the pickup pipe looked damaged.

P1000236.jpg

The bits in green are the collets. The valve is in blue and the spring cup is in pink (the spring below the cup is not shown). If those collets fell out for any reason, the spiring cup would be unsecuredand the spring wouldn't be held under tension onto the valve. If this happened inside your engine, the valve would drop into the cylinder. NOT good.
collets.jpg

Looks like i have part of a chewed up collet then, just hope its not one of mine. I guess its the kind of thing that could end up being dropped in whilst oil is being refilled etc. (trying to convince myself here!)

looks to me like its deffo a collet...even though you probably would no about it if one had somehow ended up in the sump, id check just to be safe. as like gary said, the valve dropping would not be good.

thats what id do anyway.

maybe there is a way to check if each valve has 2 collets without actually removing that much??

i have no idea myself tbh.

only ever changed collets on a bmw.

A valve would not stop in place with 1 collet missing, but what puzzles me is why would anybody attempt to move 1 with the head on?
I think the belt has snapped at some point destroyed a valve ,popped a collet into an oil way and has been missed in the repair??

Is there any other way a collet could come out?

I've had the car since it was 4 years old and 26k miles so i know its history pretty well. Any advice on what i should do next?

for me I would lift the cams out and followers and confirm 100% there is'nt one missing and the remaining one is hanging on by its fingernails... If it was, then when it does finally let go.. its carnage..

for me I would lift the cams out and followers and confirm 100% there is'nt one missing and the remaining one is hanging on by its fingernails... If it was, then when it does finally let go.. its carnage..

Easy job to do for piece of mind whilst you have the top off. Do it.

Indeed, once apart there is currently no more cost to you than time as the gasket already needs replacing. If there is a missing one, it will be obvious once the followers and cams are removed.

Just watch the position of the cam caps as they only go back on in one place, and mark or position the followers to go back into the same bores to prevent problems.

Assuming you find it's all ok, once lined up make sure you rotate the engine by hand several times, a) to check timing marks etc stay good and b) to allow hydraulics to settle as they can pump up when removed and hold valves open

Remember 16 rollers on the chain, cam mark to cam mark

So is it physically possible for a collet to escape from its normal position and get as far as the sump? Would the followers not prevent it or is there another path out?

possible, just not likely. But that thing you have is a collet, so it has to be eliminated from your valve train, if it's not yours, at least you can nail the car back together and feel lucky you found it before it got spat into somewhere it shouldn't wanna be. If it is yours, you can be lucky you found it before you dropped a valve etc