FK AK Street Coilovers finally fitted to s3!

jdas03

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday spent a good 6 or so hours attempting to sort out the handling on my very boatlike s3!
Thought I'd do a quick write up about my experiences with this!*

Got myself some FK AK street coilovers back in february, mainly due to their price but also because I felt like trying something different.*but until now they have sat in their box!
I also got myself some powerflex arb bushes and powerflex yellow dog bone mount.

Started on the back, fitting the coilovers, this was reasonably straight forward, though had a few problems fitting the adjusters for the rear springs but after some google searching I think I figured it out :)

Finished both sides in under an hour and moved onto the dog bone mount and front arb bushes. No problems with the dog bone mount, very easy to do! And the front arb bushes were surprisingly easy, simply taking the struts out and pulling the old
Perished rubber ones out and pushing the new ones into the bracket with the supplied grease so far so good!

Now the fun starts... The front suspension fitting was a PITA! Must have spent a good 4 hours getting *them fitted!
First problem was the thread, maybe it's down to the cheap ness of the coilovers but the adjuster thread was terrible, they managed to get very ceased, however after some grease and persuasion on they seem to be fine! The second problem was with the kit itself, when I got to fitting I realised one of the collers separating the main and supporting springs was missing. At the point I had spent near 4 and a half hours in total and was not happy!*
I looked around and found a soft plastic lid, cut it down fitted it and it looked fine, seemed to do the same purpose as the other collar so I'm going to leave it there for now.
After hours I finally had everything fitted, tinkered to get an even ride height and tested!

I have to report back the difference was night and day! I cannot believe the handling now, didn't think the s3 had it in it!
Corners increbily flat regardless what you chuck at it and seems to grip and grip! I had read a bit about the FKs many people saying they are cheap so they will be rock hard or just for looks and no performance, but this is a load of rubbish in my opinion! They feel firm but on most roads they dont feel any harder than standard suspension (mine had done 90k too!) they are smooth and comfortable on a roads and motorways and lively and fun on country lanes.

All in all I cannot tell you how impressed I am with them! Yes they are budget, and I noticed this by having pieces missing (collars) and thread on the adjusters a bit dodgy. But once they were on my car that was all forgiven!*

I'll be honest and say I have never been in an s3 with the favoured billstien h and r set up but I cannot see how it can be worth paying treble the price!

All in all great bit of kit, worth every penny and more!*

Sounds good mate on my list of many things to do I was going to go for this option myself:applaus:

I definitely recommend you go for it! I'm very pleased with FK, was very worried about ruining the ride but it hasn't at all!
Just wanted to put a recommendation on here as I was nearly put off by people saying they would be rubbish, in fact they were just what I wanted!
Only thing left to test now is their longevity... Hopefully they'll last well!

I definitely recommend you go for it! I'm very pleased with FK, was very worried about ruining the ride but it hasn't at all!
Just wanted to put a recommendation on here as I was nearly put off by people saying they would be rubbish, in fact they were just what I wanted!
Only thing left to test now is their longevity... Hopefully they'll last well!

Reactions: Jgould
Yer ill try get some pics up tomorrow of the drop! I hear the usually drop a bit more over time, how long until coilovers usually completely settle?

Got them on my A4 and for the money you cant go wrong!

mine have settled a bit after a week of having them on the rear camber is rediculos need to fit the tie arms sort it out

A few hundred miles.

Cheers Welly, I might leave it for a few hundred miles to get a full alignment done, was booked in for this week!
I've done about 150 ish miles on them now, and i have a knock from the rear... the back has come down alot so i'm going to set it back up high again and hope thats problem solved! Always the way it was going so well! lol
Anyone else had similar issues with coilovers?

Once thats set back and the alignments done ill get some pics of the drop and update of what they feel like!

I recently fitted some FK AK street coilovers too. They transformed the handling from stock. The car now corners much flatter, and the ride isn't much harder than stock at all. I need to drop the front a bit more to level the car out, or perhaps raise the rear. Worth money for sure, I couldn't afford KW's!

I do have a slight knock from the front, does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

You took your time to fit theses lol. Ive just removed mine.PM replied

Last edited:
Hi Buddy help trying to fit the same coil overs to my 02 A3 tdi Quattro how did the rear go with the adjusters I cant work it out the front all went up ok but struggling with the rear adjusters is the adjuster at the top or bottom how do they fit . Hope you can point me in the right direction ?