Flapping/slapping noise from front end.... Then car goes crazy.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Morning gents.

Set off to work this morning, all was fine, got up onto the main road thats just been resurfaced, drove along it and noticed that there was a flapping/slapping noise coming from the front end, not massively loud but loud enough to hear, pulled out of a junction and put fot down and the car started to splutter, dump valve was around 0psi mark but was fluttering/flickering, revs were all over the place, pulled over and car was wanting to die. Turned engine off, left it 2 mins and fired back up, all was fine, car fired up and ran smoothly, boosted fine etc.
Anyone any ideas?

sounds like limp mode n75 valve possibly

hmm im a bit unsure with the noise issue.

Yeah thats what i thought about the noise but its weird how when i stopped then started again the noise went away! Need to scan it when i get in but its bafflin how chippins can effect it.

Just to add to this.
The cars got a loud tapping/clicking noise comig from the back of the engine/exhaust manifold. Any ideas on what t could be?

Just to add to this.
The cars got a loud tapping/clicking noise comig from the back of the engine/exhaust manifold. Any ideas on what t could be?

Tbh ive only noticed it when the cars been running! What you got in mind mate? Cam chain?

i don't really know mate i know feck all about engines lol but my T sport after its been running for about 5 mins starts to tick. i know this is going to sound strange but i got told that 1.8t engines make like a ticking noise when there not ran on fuel like v power or super unleaded. i think its complete bull tbh.

you say your ticking is coming from the back ill have to have a listen to mine because i though my noise was coming from the front another stupid thing couldn't it just be the spark plugs working away if its at the back of the engine? again i say i don't have a clue what im on about im just using common sense.

cracked manifold, turbo housing/ loose egt union?.. does the noise increase in volume/ tempo with engine revs?.
..may explain why it goes when cooled down.

Was thinking cracked manifold, will check the egt probe.

Coatesy mine does sound like that but louder, ill try to get a video up from the back of the noise.

Was thinking cracked manifold, will check the egt probe.

Coatesy mine does sound like that but louder, ill try to get a video up from the back of the noise.