Oil warning light Min

I

imported_ashs3

Have been driving my S3 quite hard the last few days (high revs) and today whilst driving to Tewksbury my Oil warning light came on saying Min, so I checked the oil at the next junction and it was just above the min mark, luckily I had a 1ltr bottle in a leather pouch in the boot as I heard that the S3's engine likes to munch oil from time to time, I put the 1ltr in which took it up to just above the grated area (just below max) so well happy I bought the 1ltr oil spare and pouch as I would not have wanted to drive far on min oil.

What I wanted to ask is...
Is it normal for the S3 to use oil when driven hard, considering it is designed to be driven hard, how does it munch oil so much, I know that 911's have a tendancy to eat oil so was wondering if someone could explain how the oil level drops? as I have no leaks and the exhaust does not have any smoke or sign of oil coming out?
It also shocked me that it was only 1ltr from the min mark to nearly full?

Ta

Strange one that mine seems to be quite happy for a while and not need toping up then it just decides its hungry and its gone not had warning light on yet but it does it wether drivin hard or normal.

Ive had two 500ml top ups since about Nov.

I was a bit shocked at this as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well this is my first top up since buying the car in September 2004, so 1 litre in 5 months but I have only done about 4000 miles

Anyone else got any thoughts or experience of this?

[ QUOTE ]
Anything up to 1 litre per 1000 miles is acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I am doing OK then, 1litre per 3700 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the info chaps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sh!t I need to check my oil. I've done 6000 miles and not checked.
Will do tomorrow. Thats if I can read through all the threads on what oil to use before then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mine has used 1/2 a litre in about 5000 miles.

S3's will use oil some more than others, depends on driving style a lot of the time.

nothing wrong so dont worry, just check it regularly and keep it topped up.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been driving it hard the last week so that is why it's been munching oil, I new they used oil just wanted some confirmation on how much, again thanks all.