Dodgy clunk noise- wishbone bush?

Andy123

Reaction score
I took the car out today to do some more runs in it and started to notice a bit of a clunking noise coming from what appeared like the nearside front wheel area so I jacked it up to have a look what could be causing it.

Now does anyone else think that this wishbone bush looks a bit dodgy like it is almost coming out? The noise seemed more apparent at low speeds and start and stops which would make sense as whenever I touch the brakes or steer then this bush is going to be loaded more and the clunking noise seems as though it would be coming from the actual wishbone touching the subframe below it given that it is basically sitting on it. These were new bushes too, granted they didn't cost much but they don't appear to be doing a particularly good job. What does everyone else think?

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed mine looked pretty bad infact worse than yours and my indy advised me mine were goosed.Im getting mine changed as well as the ARB bushes which were well worn too.I hope this will cure the knocking.

This was making almost a louder noise than a knocking noise. I have seen worn bushes before but this looks as though it is actually falling out. I can't see anything else that would explain the noise I am hearing. If you look from underneath the wishbone where the bush should be then it is nowhere near the bottom of the hole hence why it is sticking up so much at the top.

Well its not sitting square so chances are it is worn

It's definately not worn from use because it has only seen 30 or so miles of driving. Either it was a faulty part in the first place or it was pressed in wrong although I find the latter hard to understand how it could have been but I dropped them off at the garage down the road to press in with their press. The offside bush is flush with the wishbone so god knows what the issue is with this one. Think I will replace them for some uprated ones, might have a look at some of the powerflex ones and have a read up what people think of them.

Looking at the last pic .....you can see marks where it has moved or has been hitting or was pressed to.. and as moved ...either way its not right and needs to be addresed.....it is certainly moving about

Looking at the last pic .....you can see marks where it has moved or has been hitting or was pressed to.. and as moved ...either way its not right and needs to be addresed.....it is certainly moving about

Yeah it's definitely screwed mate just seems strange why this side is and the other is fine.will see what the powerflex ones perform like.