JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    got an S3 8L: living the dream

Status

Question EPC Light! Eeeek! Help! Any bright ideas?

Hello all,

Wondering if any of you can shed any light on this for me? (I know the main answer if VAGCOM but I have to wait for my friend who has it to get back off holiday).

I was driving home from work last night, revs at about 2.5k-3k rpm when suddenly the revs dropped to about 1000rpm and then it cam back up to where it was. The EPC light came on. The car was driving smoothly apart from that one dip in the revs. All sounds ok.

When i got home i turned off the ignition and back on again....the EPC light had gone out.

With this I had already decided to ask my friend about looking up any fault codes etc.

This morning, all seemed well and smooth and sounded as usual......Then when pulling up to a junction the revs just died. Took a while and a couple of attempts to restart but eventually did.....with the EPC light on. Again.....all sounds smooth and fine.

The manual says that the EPC light comes on when there is a fault with the engine management system and that the ECU will revert to a backup. I presume this is what happened the first time but the second time the revs were insufficient to keep the engine from stalling.

I hope to be looking at it on VAGCOM this weekend (fingers crossed) but wondered if the wealth of knowledge on here could shed any light on it at all? (to my mind it is likely to be almost anything, but software related if it is capable of running a backup ok.)

2002 S3 8L AMK

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    ok so after scanning with vagcom i get the following:

16396 - Bank 1 - Camshaft (intake): Advance setpoint not reached (over-retarded)
    P0012 35-10 - Intermittent

16706 - Engine speed sensor (G28): No Signal
    P0322 35-10 - Intermittent

My 1st port of call is to clean the connectors and check they are secure.

Now the camshaft sensor one i am not quite so bothered about......this is something relatively easy to replace albeit approx £100 for the sensor from Audi (if it isnt just a knock on effect from the camshaft fault)

My main concern is the camshaft fault.......has anyone had any experience with this fault?:

Things i can think of are:
    - Connector
    - Sludgy oil channel for the camshaft tensioner hydraulics (for the cam phaser).
    - Dodgy cam tensioner.

Now its the cost of these that scare the cr*p out of me.............anyone have a clue what i should look at first for these faults? I notice that these came at the same time......so i think they are related.

any help please?
    2002 S3 8L AMK

Neutral

Status
    hi mate just wondering if you ever got this fault solved as my car keeps throwing 16396 at me

Status
    hey there.........yeah i got it sorted.......i posted my findings on the thread linked below.......i migrated my info to that thread as my post got zero interest.....until now!

Fault code 16395

ended up being engine speed sensor that was failing once at a certain temperature.

have a read of my post in that thread.....feel free to ask me anything else on it i will try to help..... no guarantees i will know anything though!
    2002 S3 8L AMK