Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    Down under

Status

1.8T Sump Gasket

Oil Pan Gasket 06A 103 609 C AUDI / SEAT / SKODA / VOLKSWAGEN

Has anyone on here used one. I have to change the pickup on mine for piece of mind and didn't want to have troubles getting a good seal. This might work quite well? Looks like there's an OEM VW part number too.
    Last edited by Sam_; 28th July 2011 at 23:44.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I thought it was just sealant, never seen a gasket for one...

Audi a3 1.8t AGU

Status
    Yeh it is supposed to be sealent on there. But i think it should work just as well. all the bolt holes are all close together so its unlikly it would blow out or anything stupid

Down under

Status
    I know the norm is to use sealant but I want a solution which is going to guarantee a non leaking sump! I've done a few before and they're always a pain with pure sealant. I'll give VW a bell in a bit and see what it costs and if they can get it...
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    VAG sealant is the best stuff.... never had any leaks on any sump I have done using the stuff... use the stuff on mine... never leaked... not even a weep..

<tuffty>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 29th July 2011 at 08:21. Reason: damn predictive text!
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Reverse Gear

Status
    I agree with the above comment. I've done around 3 now with the Vag sealant. Works great
    2000 Audi S3
    1990 Golf Mk2 G60 Syncro
    1969 Karmann Ghia

Down under

Status
    Alright well I'll give it a go. I was just looking for an easy way out. I have bought the proper VW sealant (renzosil). I guess a standard bead around the inside of the bolt holes is enough then?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Alright well I'll give it a go. I was just looking for an easy way out. I have bought the proper VW sealant (renzosil). I guess a standard bead around the inside of the bolt holes is enough then?
    Yes that will do it

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Seeing as I was fititng a sump today I thought I would take a few pics to help out...

Thin bead of sealant in the center of the flange going round the inside of the bolt holes...

...when bolted up the sealant will squeeze out... if you use too much then it will be doing the same on the inside as the outside... this could break off and float around the sump so make sure not too over do it...

...the two inner bolts on the gearbox side of the sump are a git to get too as they are offset from the access hole...

I use a 5mm ball ended allen key (in this case a 3/8 rachet) to start the bolt in using a blob of grease on the end to prevent the bolt from falling off then do it up using a 1/4 wobble extension and 10mm socket as the 5mm allen key can round...

...and there we have one 'sealed' sump

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Down under

Status
    Awesome thanks for that mate. I'll be doing this soon to replace my pickup. It's been serviced very regularly but can't do any harm.

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    I used Loctite Flange sealant when fitting my sump, Worked a treat and fitted a sump to a transit connect with the same stuff and worked great.
    Black S3

Hulk Smash!

Status
    i wouldnt use anything other than the VW sealant. (cant remember my last tube being called renzosil)

However, i have never had one leak on me.

*Also nice sumpy tuffty, yours baffeled?.

Neutral

Status
    Ill be dropping my sump shortly to change the pickup pipe and give it a good clean, very tempted to take it to a local metal fab to have it baffled.
    Audi S3 APY.

Man needs god like a fish needs a bicyle.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCSW View Post
    i wouldnt use anything other than the VW sealant. (cant remember my last tube being called renzosil)

However, i have never had one leak on me.

*Also nice sumpy tuffty, yours baffeled?.
    Not mine sadly... was fitting that one to a customers car...

<tuffty/>

Hulk Smash!

Status
    also snap-on do a lovely 6" long 5mm ball ended allen key (3/8"dr) which makes the two awekward bolts a doddle.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Any decent branded sealent does the trick, as tufty says dont overdo it it ...less is more....

Down under

Status
    Well this is made by Victor Reinz, the OE gasket manufacturer if I'm not mistaken? It says "approved for all european and japanese vehicles, eg. .... VAG" and it's the right stuff by the looks of it.

Do you guys let it partially cure before for a few minutes or whack it straight on?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    straight on sam......

BOOM BOOM

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Well this is made by Victor Reinz, the OE gasket manufacturer if I'm not mistaken? It says "approved for all european and japanese vehicles, eg. .... VAG" and it's the right stuff by the looks of it.

Do you guys let it partially cure before for a few minutes or whack it straight on?
    straight on as said then i was told/read to leave it for 40 mins before adding the oil to allow the sealant to bed without coming in contact with the oil

Down under

Status
    I'll be leaving the oil out of the engine overnight while it cures anyway...