Clutch Change Advice

LiveWire

S3X
Reaction score
Hey all,

My clutch starting slipping about a week ago so a friend who works for Mercedes has agreed to change it for me, he is able to do the work at his depot so this should make it a bit less stressfull than doing it at home in the garage. I want to make sure I have everything together so I dont get any of those "**** I should have ordered that" moments whilst in the middle of the job.

The mate shouldnt have any problems but he hasent done a clutch change on an Audi/4wd before, so I want to ask if anyone who has changed a clutch on an S3 before have any tips or know of any parts of the job that are a PITA??
I found this guide which is for an R32 (LHD) but I guess it should be ok as a rough guide? VWVortex.com - Transmission Removal Clutch Replacement diy Quick Version

Also 1 more question, Will I need to buy a new flywheel? my car has about 60k on the clock and is on the original clutch, there is no problems with the feel of the clutch as it only slips when pushing hard in 4th, 5th or 6th gear.

I have allready bought a new LUK clutch from ECP for £125.

Sorry for the long story, and any help/advice is much appreaciated :beerchug:

Thats a good guide. I would aim to replace the clutch slave cylinder also as they are known to fail. How much is a flywheel? Might be worth having one ready in case it looks like it needs replacing.

Thats a good guide. I would aim to replace the clutch slave cylinder also as they are known to fail. How much is a flywheel? Might be worth having one ready in case it looks like it needs replacing.

The clutch kit comes with a new slave cylinder so thats covered.
Flywheel here Flywheel | All types of Flywheels for every make and model

But I dont know which one I would need?? £100 difference between the 2 so I guess its going to be the more expensive one?