Worn Bushes

fnbloke

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi all

having bought my A3 1.8T sport just before xmas im still getting sorted all those little problems you get with a second hand car.

On the last MOT test done in november it says that there is a "slight movement in both front top strut mountings"

and have recently noticed a slight vibrating noise at high speeds, but only slight and the music had to be turned off, so when i got it serviced i asked them to check it out. "suspect worn anti-roll bar bushes" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Are these two bushes the same? becasue until i recently looked on JBR website at the powerflex bushes they stock and diagrams, i was competley unaware there are 8 different bushes that could be replaced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RichA3turbo maybe able to help with this as he said that he is about to replace all his bushes front and rear.

If i manage to find out which bushes i should replace, is there a certain brand that i should opt for??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Ross /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all

having bought my A3 1.8T sport just before xmas im still getting sorted all those little problems you get with a second hand car.

On the last MOT test done in november it says that there is a "slight movement in both front top strut mountings"

and have recently noticed a slight vibrating noise at high speeds, but only slight and the music had to be turned off, so when i got it serviced i asked them to check it out. "suspect worn anti-roll bar bushes" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Are these two bushes the same? becasue until i recently looked on JBR website at the powerflex bushes they stock and diagrams, i was competley unaware there are 8 different bushes that could be replaced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RichA3turbo maybe able to help with this as he said that he is about to replace all his bushes front and rear.

If i manage to find out which bushes i should replace, is there a certain brand that i should opt for??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ross,

The easiest, and in the long run cheapest thing to do is just replace the lot! There are 2 lower control arm bushes on each side of the car(1, 2), 2 anti roll bar bushes(3, 4). You can also change the steering rack mount bush(7), engine dog bone mount(8).etc. the rear has only 2 bushes where the beam pivots (5)

vwgolfmk4diag.gif

Out of interest, what sort of mileage have you two got on the clock before the bushes became an issue? I ask because I've recently acquired a 1.8T with 65K on the clock and I don't really know how long the suspension components last on Audis.

[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest, what sort of mileage have you two got on the clock before the bushes became an issue? I ask because I've recently acquired a 1.8T with 65K on the clock and I don't really know how long the suspension components last on Audis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I;ev got 66k on the clock, but also got 320bhp under the hood, so that takes its toll on things much more as you would expect.

RIch

I'm on standard power at the mo and the car doesn't feel noticeably slack so I don't think I'll worry about them for a while.

Cheers chaps!

[ QUOTE ]

Rich, have u fitted yours yet as i know u were planning to, if so how are you finding it??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ross,

Im hopefully going to be fitting them tomorrow...If the weather holds out! If i do, i shall post up some feedback!

Cheers

Rich

Rich did you change the Front ARB bushes after? If so has it made the steering any better?
Did you do the steering rack mount busher as well, have not fitted mine as yet?

My steering is not as tight as it used to be, plus when my nearside front wheel goes over bumps,draincovers ect i get a slight rattle.

How many hours of labour should i be expecting to pay for to get them all replaced at a garage??

Also is it worth replacing the wishbone bushes?

[ QUOTE ]
My steering is not as tight as it used to be, plus when my nearside front wheel goes over bumps,draincovers ect i get a slight rattle.

How many hours of labour should i be expecting to pay for to get them all replaced at a garage??

Also is it worth replacing the wishbone bushes?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have read, the ARB bushes are around £30 all in cost and a very easy job to do, just a couple of bolts? Rich sells the bushes and with a 5% discount, he will know which ones you need and might be able to offer more advice on fitting than I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers for the advice, may have a go myself then.
Any idea on hours fitting for all the other bushes??

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers for the advice, may have a go myself then.
Any idea on hours fitting for all the other bushes??

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid a local garage by me to do my Dogbone mount, but only cos I did not have a torque rench or a full lift ramp, as you need to be standing up for it to be an easy job. It took the garage about 20 mins plus the time to up and down the ramp. I got the correct torque settings from the Powerflex site and read them out to the bloke as he was fitting it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
These settings are important on the Dogbone mount to minimise engine vibration

As for the others, not sure, I imagine the steering rack mount busher is a pain though, I am yet to get this done.

thanks for the help. Got mine booked in in a week to get a tie rod adjuster replaced. Going to ask them to check out the front suspension /bushes ect while its in and give me a quote to replace.

Well I have just had my front and rear Arb bushes replaced and the front wishbone bushes - it makes a huge difference on a 100K S3 - If you find that the ride and handling are losing a little bit of edge I would highly recommend having them checked.

Spiker... how much did it cost to get your bushes changed?... Just curious... Had my ARB, wishbone and steering column bushes all replaced in warranty at around 90,000miles so no idea how much it cost... car has just turned 132,000 and all of a sudden have the tell tale clonk on the steering column, slack handling and just today the nasty squeek of the ARB and dread to see how much it will cost out of warranty...

Dodgy that they all go at once as well... was just thinking of selling it as well, so should really get it done before I sell it unless it is super money...