Intermittent fan spool-up problem on 2000 plate S3.

lloydsta101

Reaction score
Hi All,

After a year of trouble free motoring, the S3 has decided to start playing up again. Amongst other things, the main problem it's having at the moment is the fan.

Basically, when the car get's up to 90 degrees and the fan kicks in... it spins up, goes for around 3-4 seconds and then dies off again. This process continues over and over until I've reached my destination (which is not usually far, so lasts the entire journey).

The constant spinning up of the fan is not making for an ideal driving experience as it is quite loud, causes the car to shake every 5 seconds while driving and more importantly is not cooling the car down enough. I had my front tyres changed a few weeks ago and the chap left the car running on the ramp while he did the tracking... he said it was like a sauna under there and at one point had to step out to get a break from the sheer heat the car was producing.

Usually, I will drive home and back to work for lunch and the problem starts... then 4 hours later when I start the car up again to go home, the engine is still so hot that the fan tries to kick in straight away.

It is also worth mentioning that this time last year I had the Fan Control Unit replaced due to the circuit board being broken and until about a month ago, everything has been working fine. So... have any of you had this before? Are there some main offenders to check out?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Has no one come across anything similar to this then? Just thought someone may be able to shed some light before I book it in somwhere that's gonna cost an arm and a leg.