Inertia's S3 Upgrade Thread

Inertiauk

Reaction score
Website
www.yourlocalcomputerguy.co.uk
Due to making lots of bits threads, and getting excited today by the arrival of some parts, I decided to setup a thread to keep all of my stuff together like many others have done.

This all started off a couple of months after I bought my S3 and started minor upgrades (Downpipe, cat back, Tip, stage 1 map .. etc), I had a problem .... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/120056-turbo-has-play-side-side.html with some symptoms http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...e-boost-after-fitting-turbo-back-exhaust.html

Which ultimately ended in .... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/124337-think-my-turbo-gave-up.html

Then I started looking at parts for an upgrade path rather than just replacing the turbo ... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/124667-best-value-manifold-few-other.html

The Other day I got my Genesis 550cc Injectors ...

and today this package came ....

very well packaged inside is my Turbo Dynamics Stage 4 MD421 ..

Brand New Mutant Blower :)

Wastegate (@ 10psi)

cold side.

hot Side

Gasket set

Still quite a few parts to arrive before my mechanic can get started (I will help if I can but Lee will do most of the work)

On order still are Rods, big end bearings, timing belt and tensioners, water pump, FMIC and Tubular Manifold. Lets hope they arrive soon so the show can go on .....

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandip
have a look in the wastegate apature... does it look ported?
(unlikely), but if not you may want to tickle it a little like I did on wellys and danes(prawns), as without it will boost creep to 23psi on actuator pressure.

Which exhaust manifold have you gone for out of interest? im thinking of upgrading mine as the standard one is said to be restrictive ?

Would also like to know what tubular manifold youve gone for.

has anyone ran an xs power manifold for a decent amout of time? im worried about there quality, wondered if anyone had some experience of using one?

has anyone ran an xs power manifold for a decent amout of time? im worried about there quality, wondered if anyone had some experience of using one?

Welly had one on for a short time, there must be a few on SCN

A short amount of time with Welly is a lifetime with other peeps LMAO!!! (sorry Welly mate... love yah really... not brown love though ;P)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Inertiauk
have a look in the wastegate apature... does it look ported?
(unlikely), but if not you may want to tickle it a little like I did on wellys and danes(prawns), as without it will boost creep to 23psi on actuator pressure.

Can you show me a diagram / picture of exactly where I need to port please ? Is it easy to do or should I have professional do it ?

Last edited:
Dave, spill the beans, what do you know? haha.

Still Waiting on some Parts, but I chased Backdraft Motorsports for my Rods today who tell me they are on the way, chased the manifold which is also on the way, Awesome told us there is a 5 week wait for the FMIC. Spotted This on eBay, so decided to get it instead so it arrives quicker and saves me a few quid eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Rods were £356.40 inc Shipping and VAT IE rods, but they actually had some lined up supply (unlike Ie themselves) Probably a very similar price to importing them myself, but quicker and easier.

yeah dude share the love.

I didn't mention because Its a prototype and I wasn't sure if I was at liberty to say, but I asked and its cool.
Its the Frankenturbo Manifold from Doug in NY.

Spec : Schedule 10 mild steel with oven-cure thermal barrier inside and out. CNC-machined, billet steel collector. 37mm ID runners.

I believe there are only 2 prototypes and I think Bill is having the other for testing.

oow very nice, any pics? any rough cost ideas?

ahh ok.
yea. I have one here.
with a mod it will fit ok.
should be interesting to see how it goes for you.

My Frankenturbo manifold arrived today (thanks Doug) The quality looks good, and it came with 2 sets of gaskets.

sorry for poor quality camera phone

Click images for bigger:

Only 1 piece missing now before the work can start.

Reactions: Pedrosousa
huh that looks familiar ;)

all the cool kids are going BT, hybrids are soooooo last February lol

I kid, good luck with it dude, I hope you get more luck than me.

PS JBS who?

all the cool kids are going BT, hybrids are soooooo last February lol

I kid, good luck with it dude, I hope you get more luck than me.

PS JBS who?

All the cool kids must have stayed single and not have any dependants draining funds.

BT might happen, but not for a while. By the time I get around to it, it will be out of fashion, economy will be the new power then , lol.

and thanks ... me too :-/

Nice, nail on head :) mostly

Very nive manifold :). So what does that manifold work out in sterling with tax's and duty ex?

I Dropped my parts with the mechanic this morning, he is fairly busy, looking at it being bolted together in about a fortnight.

I showed him the turbo waste gate aperture where it needs porting, he said that looks a lot of work because the excess metal will enter the turbo hot side. does anyone (Bill?) have any advice I can give to make this job a bit easier, I was under the impression it was fairly simple and straightforward, as some people have described it as 'giving it a bit of a tickle'.

I went to see Wayne at chipwizards in Rochdale today told him everything I am having fitted, was quoted £600 for a map and booked in for 19th September.

He was curious why I have changed rods but not pistons. I was under the impression the APY pistons are forged and capable of running a lot of power, he said he doubts it and they are more than likely cast. I read up again just now, various forums are saying they are forged, can someone who has opened an APY confirm ?

Thought I was getting close when the last part came, but it seems i have still got over 4 weeks of corsa torture.

pistons are forged, if theyre within tolerances then they'l be fine. people run silly powers with standard ones.
ive heard lots of good stuff about wayne at chipwizards.

A bit off topic .. Got myself a temporary Smoker because the S3 is off the road so long: 1998 A4 2.8q , 113k miles, 6 months MOT , £500 Bargain.

On Topic : Waiting to hear from mechanic about how he's getting on with porting turbo wastegate aperture, think he is going to use Oldham Engines to do this.

Last edited: