Did the grill surround this morning

damo.h

Reaction score
ok so this morning i was ubber bored... so decided id wrap the front grill surround.

Im sure its been done to death but this is the easiest way, So here you go....

Im using KPMF (Premium Apply) cast Vinyl in Satin matte.

Start off by giving it a soapy wash, then i used a surface prep/de-greaser (look what was left after a wash)
IMG_0715.jpg

Cut a piece of vinyl to size
IMG_0713.jpg

Peel back half of the backing paper and cut off( remember to peel the backing from the vinyl not vinyl from the backing)
IMG_0716.jpg

Then place the surround onto the vinyl in a rocking motion
IMG_0717.jpg

Remove other side of backing paper
IMG_0718.jpg

Flip it over, then using a heat gun/hair dryer aply a couple of seconds of heat( youl'l know when to stop as the vinyl will go tight like a drum skin) using cotton glove/soft cloth smooth over the grill surround starting on the face edge in working all the way around and out to the edges
IMG_0720.jpg

Cut off excess leaving just enough to tug on and heat then smooth into corners
from this
IMG_0722.jpg

to this
IMG_0723.jpg

Smooth over applying a good amount of light pressure using squeegy/Bank card with some masking tape on edges
IMG_0725.jpg

Final trim on back edge and its gone from this
IMG_0712.jpg

CIMG3439.jpg

to this
IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Simples ;)

Whilst i was on with it Bob nipped his mk1 gti in for a bonnet wrap

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Bit of a clean and a measure up
IMG_0730.jpg

Whack on the vinyl
IMG_0731.jpg

Bit of heat and a squeegy
IMG_0737.jpg

Cut in and Bob's a happy chappy
IMG_0738.jpg

:lmfao:

Reactions: JamieT_a3, S3_Jacko, JonBoi25 and 6 others
Impressive work.

lol @ the golf wrap

Gonna do mine this week looks nice m8, do u rekon it's possible to do the plastic side skirts and the rear bumper insert aswell in vinyl wrap and would I have to remove them or just do it while there on the car?

Fantastic star wars role play by the way

Looks great. Anyone know where you can you get the vinyl for a good price?

cheers guys got this stuff sent to me the other day so just trying it out really. Will be changed again in a couple of weeks when I do the motor.
Nice work looks really good got to get mine done

For a couple Quids worth of vinyl it's a must dude

Impressive work.

lol @ the golf wrap

Cheers :lmfao:

Gonna do mine this week looks nice m8, do u rekon it's possible to do the plastic side skirts and the rear bumper insert aswell in vinyl wrap and would I have to remove them or just do it while there on the car?

Fantastic star wars role play by the way

Yep that'll be no prob's, just take your time with the heat when getting it into deep curves, love a good diorama ;)

Looks great. Anyone know where you can you get the vinyl for a good price?

eBay prob your best bet if your after cheap viny. Just make sure it's a cast vinyl fella.

I wrap vans ect for a living, if anyone wants vinyl or something fitted.

I wrap vans ect for a living, if anyone wants vinyl or something fitted.

Me to fella, well more private cars than vans but do print media when required, i could of said i can supply & fit but i ain't touting for business just sharing the knowledge love ;)

not touting for business mate. people seem to be getting in to carbon ect, I was offering to help anyone with it.

You've done a grand job there mate. Looks great. Can't help but notice how much of a good job your little friends have done with the golf bonnet too. They've also done a grand job lol.

Love the wrap and the whole write up matey, ..made me giggle. :icon_thumright:

What is a cast vinyl? Grill looks really good fella and golf role play was awesome haha!

What is a cast vinyl? Grill looks really good fella and golf role play was awesome haha!

There are two main types of vinyl callendered and cast, callendered vinyl is made in a different way normally from block material and it's properties have greater memory, like a sticker for example if you apply it to a curved surface over time it will pop and try to go flat again.
A cast vinyl has the ability to go around curved areas and stay put once you'v applied it.

Fantastic write up, the star wars role play made me laugh!

Damo I need you to wrap mine please mate. Mine lasted 2 days before it started to come away on the inside corners :(
will sort it dude no worries, Any plug sockets at AITP lol

brilliant thanks,
so not to self di-noc and cast and be molded to anything
callendered cant

Can you send your star wars friends in the post to me, I'll pay them a decent wage to do my grill!

LMAO legend. The bonnet wrap was quality.

Love the grill too will last alot longer than paint!

Can you send your star wars friends in the post to me, I'll pay them a decent wage to do my grill!

They'r on route dude, don't worry they have a little green friend with them and he knows Yr location.

Ps I pay them in Haribo :lmfao: I'm loosing it

Love it damo...That cracked me up mate!
Nice work on the grill btw! Find me at AITP you can do mine if you like. I'll have loads of vinyl wrap left over!

that looks real good. would of even thought i putting vinyl on it.

Shame im selling mine other wise I would have done that.

Good on ya dude where you based??[/QUOTE]

Based in glasgow buddy, take your based north west england.

that looks real good. would of even thought i putting vinyl on it.

Shame im selling mine other wise I would have done that.

Cheers man, a cheap must do IMO
Bummer bout the car, Hope you get what you want for it dude.

Damo, what a fantastic thread. I love what you did with the grill. Your step by step guide was really good and understandable, you make it sound so easy. I loved the stormtrooper bit as well, added a bit of fun to it all. Fantastic.

Good on ya dude where you based??

Based in glasgow buddy, take your based north west england.[/QUOTE]

Yes mate NW, How's it taking off up there?? Most of our work is for 3rd parties but recently started to push our own name out there.

Damo, what a fantastic thread. I love what you did with the grill. Your step by step guide was really good and understandable, you make it sound so easy. I loved the stormtrooper bit as well, added a bit of fun to it all. Fantastic.

Cheers Sandra, it's a cheap & easy mod which makes a massive difference to the front end. Glad you liked the lil wrappers ;)